help please? tumble dryer trips rcd

Found 25th Apr 2015
It's got me stumped. Tumble dryer trips the house rcd but only as soon as it starts it's reverse cycle. I've disconnected the heater element, and changed the motor for a spare I had and changed the main control unit. Checked all the wiring for chafing etc. Any suggestions gratefully received. It's a Bosch excel vented sp601/51. Even tripped when I disconnected the motor wires, put it on a programme and turned the drum by hand. Top of machine was removed to do this.

Shared Via The HUKD App For Android.
Community Updates
AskDryerTumble Dryer
13 Comments
Sorry, meant to write rcb
I have reset the heater element thermostat in the past and that worked for me. had to put cover back on before restarting. But mine is located in the outhouse so I'd imagine it gets more damp than most.
christopheshort1

I have reset the heater element thermostat in the past and that worked … I have reset the heater element thermostat in the past and that worked for me. had to put cover back on before restarting. But mine is located in the outhouse so I'd imagine it gets more damp than most.

Thanks for taking trouble to reply. My problem is that it all works fine until the dryer goes into reverse after about a minute from starting.
It certainly sounds like a short somewhere,try working out which of the coloured wires are used for the reverse and recheck these especially at any mounting or where they pass through metalwork also look for any deterioration on the plug connectors.If you have an insulation checker this wold help diagnose any lose in cable integrity.

Edited by: "arachnoid" 25th Apr 2015
Heater element in dryer is probably cracked. unplug the heater element and then try it.
oops misread about the element. I'd try the pump and maybe use a different socket.

Edited by: "kester76" 25th Apr 2015
I had the same problem, screwfix select socket was the problem. Took socket out and changed it, been OK since. It's a long shot but I discovered it as I swapped washing machine and tumble dryer plugs over and the fault moved. Could still be control board though. Not much else in a dryer to go wrong.
Just had another thought. The drum runs on a felt pad, I've seem them lift before, hence drum turns easily one way but sticks occasionally in reverse.
liamf12

Just had another thought. The drum runs on a felt pad, I've seem them … Just had another thought. The drum runs on a felt pad, I've seem them lift before, hence drum turns easily one way but sticks occasionally in reverse.

The RCB will only trip if the current is different in the live and neutral
Fair point but I'm stupidly assuming that maybe he's got an RCBO or something. Most people wouldn't know the difference and something like the pad or even something between drum and case would explain the reverse problem. Sorry I'm just used to getting faults reported as "it's broken" then when you find the fault someone says something like I thought I smelt burning earlier!
arachnoid

It certainly sounds like a short somewhere,try working out which of the … It certainly sounds like a short somewhere,try working out which of the coloured wires are used for the reverse and recheck these especially at any mounting or where they pass through metalwork also look for any deterioration on the plug connectors.If you have an insulation checker this wold help diagnose any lose in cable integrity.

Thanks again for everyone's ideas. They all make sense and I have checked them all. A wire to earth is what I first looked for, especially the one that spins motor other way. - Nothing appears chafed though and the plug to motor looks good. The felt seal appears good and allows the drum to turn OK in both directions. it's the RCB that's tripping, suggesting earth leak rather than the MCB that would suggest overloading. Also tried different 13 amp sockets in the house.I think what I will do is buy a second hand dryer from Gumtree and then use my old one for spares and make a firepit from the drum!! I have kept my Zanussi washing machine going for years this way. (only had to replace the handle 4 times and head 3 times - Trigger quote!).

Thanks again for everyone taking trouble to reply.

Michael.
If you could pick up a new harness for the washer it might fix the issue
Fit a higher rated rcb in your consumer unit!

Only joking!!!
whiteston

It's got me stumped. Tumble dryer trips the house rcd but only as … It's got me stumped. Tumble dryer trips the house rcd but only as soon as it starts it's reverse cycle. I've disconnected the heater element, and changed the motor for a spare I had and changed the main control unit. Checked all the wiring for chafing etc. Any suggestions gratefully received. It's a Bosch excel vented sp601/51. Even tripped when I disconnected the motor wires, put it on a programme and turned the drum by hand. Top of machine was removed to do this.Shared Via The HUKD App For Android.

Im sat next to an electrician reading this and hes very passionate so im deciphering what hes saying because Im a layman and weve only had a quick read through:

Because it spins for a minute and then trips, it sounds more like its tripping the RCB as an overcurrent rather than a RCD/earth leakage fault.

hes suggestion: by a new dryer, by the time youve invested the time and money trying to chase down and resolve the issue you'd probably be more out of pocket than if your bought a new one.

EDIT: If you think its an earth leakage fault and its spinning over a minute then you clearly have a faulty RCB as this should trip in 30milliseconds and not a minute!!!
Edited by: "Jonwilkie" 26th Apr 2015
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants