HELP please, which laptop do we get?

We currently have a 3 year old Dell dimension 3100, its been getting slower and slower and basically we've filled it up with all our rubbish and its not having it anymore.
So.... we're looking at getting a laptop instead, been looking at Dell Inspiron 1545, upgrading it to core 2 duo processor (only cos Id heard they were better than dual core). The price is £399, which is roughly what we want to spend. Trouble is all the reviews seem to come up pants, and they mostly suggest theres better systems out there for your money, but no sites actually tell you which systems these are......... So I'd be really grateful for any ideas as to which laptop we should get. Thank you!

19 Comments

Banned

I would always advise if you have enough room to go for a desktop, laptops just dont last

sassie;4722312

I would always advise if you have enough room to go for a desktop, … I would always advise if you have enough room to go for a desktop, laptops just dont last

I have 4 laptops (dont ask) including 2 Dells and I agree - if you want power etc then choose desktop over laptop - if you want portability or you have no space to work then laptop is the answer.

Your 3 year old Dell could probably use a weekend makeover with a full backup (ie copy all your data to an external drive) then clean install as per factory release and apply all updates and install apps that you want. You'll be amazed how much quicker it will run and may serve you another year or two.

Original Poster

sassie;4722312

I would always advise if you have enough room to go for a desktop, … I would always advise if you have enough room to go for a desktop, laptops just dont last

Yeah, I want to get another desktop, but OH says he wants to try a laptop this time, as we've always had desktops. I dont know why! I was worried about the hinges, cos we use PC a lot. Any suggestions for desktops would also be gratefully recieved. :thumbsup:

you say you've filled it with all your stuff? Why dont you save everything you need to an external harddrive and then reinstall windows to your current pc. You will find it runs a heck of a lot better on a fresh install and will save you money. If your only browsing the web etc you should be fine with that? Hope it helps. Oh, if you need any info on what to do just ask
bfm

Original Poster

marmalade47;4722399

I have 4 laptops (dont ask) including 2 Dells and I agree - if you want … I have 4 laptops (dont ask) including 2 Dells and I agree - if you want power etc then choose desktop over laptop - if you want portability or you have no space to work then laptop is the answer.[COLOR="Red"]Your 3 year old Dell could probably use a weekend makeover with a full backup (ie copy all your data to an external drive) then clean install as per factory release and apply all updates and install apps that you want. You'll be amazed how much quicker it will run and may serve you another year or two.[/COLOR]

We've tried some things, but basically cant be bothered with it no more. OH is not good when it comes to tyding up computers, and if he starts trying to do things he's not 100% sure on how to do them, he will just get angry and we'll be totally without a computer! Hence he's leaving it be.
Thats also extremely time consuming, to uninstall and re-install things, and we also have no external hard drives to back up with. Just seemed easier to buy new.

Original Poster

BurningFeetMan;4722431

you say you've filled it with all your stuff? Why dont you save … you say you've filled it with all your stuff? Why dont you save everything you need to an external harddrive and then reinstall windows to your current pc. You will find it runs a heck of a lot better on a fresh install and will save you money. If your only browsing the web etc you should be fine with that? Hope it helps. Oh, if you need any info on what to do just ask :)bfm

Money is not really an issue, other than we dont really want to spend more than £400 on a new laptop/computer. We do browse net, but also OH goes on xbox online (which seems to slow internet down loads when Im on it as same time), I also do smaller things such as word and editing, printing pics too. Also OH sometimes plays games on here too(command and conquer).
Just wanted some advice on what laptops were good to get, what to look for etc, and any pc's too if these are better than laptops. Thanks all though.

Banned

sassie;4722312

erm.... right ok.

I suspect you will get quite a few in disagreement with that comment.

Desktops have pros and cons, as do laptops, but if the OP wants a laptop, saying they don't last is just nonsense.

[QUOTEYour 3 year old Dell could probably use a weekend makeover with a full backup (ie copy all your data to an external drive) then clean install as per factory release and apply all updates and install apps that you want. You'll be amazed how much quicker it will run and may serve you another year or two.[/QUOTE]

I second that..tidying up a pc.. three progs that never fail to deliver..you dont need to do a clean OS re-install although it would be better to do so.
[COLOR="Red"]
Ccleaner (free)
EasyCleaner (free)
Pc Doc Pro (not free but worth it) [/COLOR]

Also
Install [COLOR="Red"]Avast Antivirus[/COLOR] engine(free) hardly system resources intensive Very vigilant/efficient prog
I use these progs all the time when I tidy friends pc's . Recently breathed life into a 512Mb 7+ year old machine, now zipping along marvellously !!

Banned

marmalade47;4722399

Your 3 year old Dell could probably use a weekend makeover with a full … Your 3 year old Dell could probably use a weekend makeover with a full backup (ie copy all your data to an external drive) then clean install as per factory release and apply all updates and install apps that you want. You'll be amazed how much quicker it will run and may serve you another year or two.

Agree absolutely completely. If you want some thing new then go for it, but really a 3 year old system will be fine after a format and reinstall.

vibeone;4722702

erm.... right ok.I suspect you will get quite a few in disagreement with … erm.... right ok.I suspect you will get quite a few in disagreement with that comment.Desktops have pros and cons, as do laptops, but if the OP wants a laptop, saying they don't last is just nonsense.

[SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]Touche! [/COLOR][/SIZE]

I think ..Fujitsu-Siemens had a laptop promo not that long ago. They were offering buyers of its latest LifeBook laptops a free, new laptop every three years for the rest of their lives!
..don't know if deal's still on...also there may be unseen strings attached!!
Caveat emptor!!

not being funny but if you cant tidy up the pc i wouldn't expect whatever you buy to seem blazing fast for very long. Installin an os is as simple as clicking yes a few times. Every pc gets clogged with stuff, but maintaining it is not hard. However if your set on a new laptop nobody will change your mind. I suggest in this case that you take a look at novatechs range of laptops, very reasonable.
Bfm

don't forget disk defrag!

edit. in that case how about this HP from ebuyer?

]http//ww…87/

Original Poster

We reguarly disc clean up and de-frag, we have avg installed and runs scans pretty much every day, unless I stop it, cos it slows pc down, but most days it scans. OH has just been through and deleted a lot of stuff, giving us 25% free again, I'll prob get rid of all our pics, to free some space. Trouble is it seems to quicken up for a few days then back to normal again. Also think some probs lie with AOL but not sure.
I dont have my heart set on a new laptop. OH wanted to try one. Im open to suggestions, hence why I asked for some help. Im just saying it all seems a lot of hassel to try and clean up and tidy up our system. When we have some money and would like to buy a new one. I just wanted some ideas on models which are good and models to stay away from.
Thanks anyway.

Banned

manda1;4725248

We reguarly disc clean up and de-frag, we have avg installed and runs … We reguarly disc clean up and de-frag, we have avg installed and runs scans pretty much every day, unless I stop it, cos it slows pc down, but most days it scans. OH has just been through and deleted a lot of stuff, giving us 25% free again, I'll prob get rid of all our pics, to free some space. Trouble is it seems to quicken up for a few days then back to normal again. Also think some probs lie with AOL but not sure.I dont have my heart set on a new laptop. OH wanted to try one. Im open to suggestions, hence why I asked for some help. Im just saying it all seems a lot of hassel to try and clean up and tidy up our system. When we have some money and would like to buy a new one. I just wanted some ideas on models which are good and models to stay away from. Thanks anyway.

Its not really about defraging and the like - although that does help.

What happens is that windows, as good as it is, is a bit messy, and makes your computer into a bit of a pigsty after a while.

Do you have a external hard drive or big usb stick? The best way to sort your computer out is to reformat and reinstall.

So you do your backup, put your windows dvd in your computer, wipe the computer completely, reinstall windows and your programs.

Thats effectively restoring it to how it arrived when your bought it (and most often with dells, ten times fast than that because Norton doesn't get installed!
Thank you for the rep btw

vibeone;4722702

erm.... right ok.I suspect you will get quite a few in disagreement with … erm.... right ok.I suspect you will get quite a few in disagreement with that comment.Desktops have pros and cons, as do laptops, but if the OP wants a laptop, saying they don't last is just nonsense.

+ 1 whoever said laptops don't last is a noob.

ALL technology gets outdated just because you can change some more components on a desktop does not mean it is going to last longer. On most laptops you can upgrade the hdd and ram quite easily... which are the only things I've ever bothered to upgrade. Just because with a desktop you can put a new graphics card in easily does not mean you won't have to upgrade the power supply unit, even the processor for it to 'last longer' by which time you'll have to replace the entire motherboard (to support newer processor/ram etc) and you are simply kidding yourself if you think at that point you are 'upgrading' because you have essentially built a new machine inside that rubbish outdated fat case.

OP this is a good site for helping you decide on what laptop to get:

forums.notebookreview.com

fill out the standard questions (budget...screen size...os...etc) and post up in the forum and you should get some useful suggestions.

vibeone;4726229

Its not really about defraging and the like - although that does … Its not really about defraging and the like - although that does help.What happens is that windows, as good as it is, is a bit messy, and makes your computer into a bit of a pigsty after a while.Do you have a external hard drive or big usb stick? The best way to sort your computer out is to reformat and reinstall.So you do your backup, put your windows dvd in your computer, wipe the computer completely, reinstall windows and your programs.Thats effectively restoring it to how it arrived when your bought it (and most often with dells, ten times fast than that because Norton doesn't get installed! :)Thank you for the rep btw

Agree totally

Windows installs lots of little files all over the place for things you may of installed once, years ago, for obsolete programs, obsolete hardware, and sometimes (it seems) just for the hell of it. Its not a case of deleting what you dont need any more. Of course keep all your things, they are not causing a problem at all, its the operating system files themselves which become scattered like needles in a haystack, so when you call on the files (e.g opening internet explorer or just about anything) the pc has to go hell for leather to find them and this takes time.

An o/s install is pretty easy, its pretty much a case of put the disk in and read the on-screen instructions

Anyway, its just i've done this many many times through necessity, and i hate to see a perfectly serviceable pc go to waste

BFM

Original Poster

Thanks for the simpler explanation. We may give this a go, although have no external hard drive for back up. But Ive been putting important stuff on discs this pm, so as long as I can find all discs I need to re-install stuff then might get OH to do it.
Still might get a lap top too though, then we can both be online at same time, and maybe get off quicker then!!!
Will have a look at ^ site, thanks xiwt.
Still though, can anyone say if the dell inspiron 1545 is good or not???
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Ebid over Ebay22
    2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7763999
    3. Better watch out for these...915
    4. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846088

See more discussions