Groups

help please with council not taking council tax money

i moved in october 2010 set up a direct debit upto january with various calls they never took the money so had to pay a one off lump sum in february.
    upto april this year they still hadnt taken any direct debits out of my account despite both the bank and the council confirming the details are correct
    So I cancelled the direct debit and set up a standing order which was sent to the council on the 8th, they are now saying they never received the money this time either.
    What more can I do.

8 Comments

Original Poster

i also contacted my bank they confirmed money sent to correct, sort code and account.

Mod & Ed

where are you, have had a similar issue with Durham council, in the end yhey've admitted that they were to blame and had sent out direct debit forms with the wrong originators number on, they've just had to send out 1000's of letters of apology with a new mandate.
    Also most councils dont take money out in either feb /mar or mar/april, the dd is usually over 10mths not 12

Original Poster

wishihadadonkey

where are you, have had a similar issue with Durham council, in the end … where are you, have had a similar issue with Durham council, in the end yhey've admitted that they were to blame and had sent out direct debit forms with the wrong originators number on, they've just had to send out 1000's of letters of apology with a new mandate.Also most councils dont take money out in either feb /mar or mar/april, the dd is usually over 10mths not 12

correct but they never took any money in november,december or January.

Edited by: "garbage456" 16th May 2011

Take proof from the bank to the council, & ask them to investigate - do this in person rather than over the phone. If there's any problems later on then you need to be able to prove that you did attempt to pay them (which you have ;))

Mod & Ed

may sound stupid, but did you put your council tax number as a ref on the standing order?

Talk to your bank and ask them to put a trace on the payment, they will be able to tell you if it has gone through Faster Payments or Bacs, and request a trace from the relevant Scheme. Once you have this you can establish where the money has been sent to and if it has been returned or not (it is possible it could have been, and could be i a holding account at your bank). You will be able to tell from the trace if it has been sent to the correct account, if it has then you will be able to take this evidence to the council. If it has gone to the wrong account you will need to discuss you options with the bank.

Original Poster

cis_groupie

Take proof from the bank to the council, & ask them to investigate - do … Take proof from the bank to the council, & ask them to investigate - do this in person rather than over the phone. If there's any problems later on then you need to be able to prove that you did attempt to pay them (which you have ;))

going to do tomorrow hopefully

Original Poster

wishihadadonkey

may sound stupid, but did you put your council tax number as a ref on the … may sound stupid, but did you put your council tax number as a ref on the standing order?

yep
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. How dangerous is Donald trump?31141
      2. Find out how good your GP surgery is55
      3. Microsoft Gamescom - Possibly more free games / Project Scorpio711
      4. The HUKD Student Discount code sharing thread (most codes on Unidays are si…6541246

See more discussions