Help please you lovely lot!! (with wifi and tv etc...)

Found 4th Sep 2017
Hope someone here can help me. Caravan has wifi built in and we can buy a box from them to use however we can use 4 items on it and cant stream tv etc ive been told. I can pay a supplement of £80 a yr and then stream and use tv however im told as the service is new its got teething problems and so not reliable. So im after an alternative!!

We have a smart tv, lenovo zuk mobile phones currently with 1.5gb a month each x2..kindles and laptops etc..but id like to use amazon prime and my kodi if possible on the tv. I have no idea how much wifi this can use.. I can go to the clubhouse and download to my phone from amazon something to watch at night but i have no idea how to get it on the tv. I have googled and was able to tether my phone to my kindle but someone mentioned mirroring it? or a sim i can use that will get me enough wifi? we wont be watching tv all day and night btw its just after kids in bed to chill ...

apologies for my ignorance but you guys have educated me before and i was hoping you could now. TIA
Community Updates
Ask
14 Comments
What model is your tv? Would it not be easier to get a 128gb memory stick and take a selection of films with you on that? No Wi-Fi, no downloading whilst away.. simple..
Original Poster
Dawsy23 m ago

What model is your tv? Would it not be easier to get a 128gb memory stick …What model is your tv? Would it not be easier to get a 128gb memory stick and take a selection of films with you on that? No Wi-Fi, no downloading whilst away.. simple..

its just a cheap polaroid one but its great for the van. Im not good with downloading im thinking scrabble would be a better bet lol
The wifi would be useful generally not just for the tv..my small allowance was eaten in days. My o/h likes the football too and uses the kodi. I am useless sorry x
As for a device to watch video on, your laptop will probably have HDMI-out - get a cheap HDMI cable and hook it up to the TV
If not, you can probably get a VGA adapter that will connect to one of the inputs on your TV.

Your laptop will support almost all streaming services but will also play offline videos (saved on the internal hard disk or on an external drive).
It'll also support Kodi, which will play local and streamed content, with the right addons.

As for Internet access, whether you go with their offering or not comes down to how often you go to the caravan and the quality / reliability of the service...
i.e. If you only go twice a year, getting another SIM would be cheaper but if you go every other weekend (and the service is good), their service is better value.

If you're thinking about using 4G, neither of your current phone contracts would last very long for steaming video so you'll need to find out how much data you use at home...
Your ISP might keep tabs (billing) but if not, reset your data usage on your router and check again in a week (or however long you normally stay in the caravan).
If you use 30GB or less, you can get PAYG or a 1-month SIM-only which will include tethering to cover your usage while you're there...
Use a coverage checker to make sure you can get a decent (4G) signal with your chosen provider at the site of your caravan.
Once you've chosen the network / package, order a SIM and you can stick it in a cheap-ish (needs 4G) Android phone or a MiFi device to share the Internet connection out to as many devices as you need.
Edited by: "BubaMan" 4th Sep 2017
Original Poster
BubaMan2 h, 46 m ago

As for a device to watch video on, your laptop will probably have HDMI-out …As for a device to watch video on, your laptop will probably have HDMI-out - get a cheap HDMI cable and hook it up to the TV If not, you can probably get a VGA adapter that will connect to one of the inputs on your TV.Your laptop will support almost all streaming services but will also play offline videos (saved on the internal hard disk or on an external drive).It'll also support Kodi, which will play local and streamed content, with the right addons.As for Internet access, whether you go with their offering or not comes down to how often you go to the caravan and the quality / reliability of the service...i.e. If you only go twice a year, getting another SIM would be cheaper but if you go every other weekend (and the service is good), their service is better value.If you're thinking about using 4G, neither of your current phone contracts would last very long for steaming video so you'll need to find out how much data you use at home...Your ISP might keep tabs (billing) but if not, reset your data usage on your router and check again in a week (or however long you normally stay in the caravan).If you use 30GB or less, you can get PAYG or a 1-month SIM-only which will include tethering to cover your usage while you're there...Use a coverage checker to make sure you can get a decent (4G) signal with your chosen provider at the site of your caravan.Once you've chosen the network / package, order a SIM and you can stick it in a cheap-ish (needs 4G) Android phone or a MiFi device to share the Internet connection out to as many devices as you need.

i will need to read that several times and digest it but thank you both of you..the lady who sold us the van gave us her mifi thingy a 3 one..and we will be there a lot if the site wifi worked id pay for it..
plumberman011 h, 4 m ago

i will need to read that several times and digest it but thank you both of …i will need to read that several times and digest it but thank you both of you..the lady who sold us the van gave us her mifi thingy a 3 one..and we will be there a lot if the site wifi worked id pay for it..

With you planning on being there a lot, it sounds like you need to take a gamble on their wifi - you should have grounds for a refund if it turns out to be cr@p...

As backup, you could share out your 4G from your Lenovo phones for a limited amount of use but I wouldn't advise video streaming with only 1.5GB allowance as you'll quickly go over - You could put a limit on your phone at 1.4GB so but that's only an hour or two of video.

If your laptop has HDMI-out, you're otherwise set
Log into whichever streaming service (Amazon Prime here) or have a read about what's possible with Kodi.
If you have video files already, you can watch those from the laptop without an Internet connection (VLC plays almost anything).
Original Poster
BubaMan25 m ago

With you planning on being there a lot, it sounds like you need to take a …With you planning on being there a lot, it sounds like you need to take a gamble on their wifi - you should have grounds for a refund if it turns out to be cr@p...As backup, you could share out your 4G from your Lenovo phones for a limited amount of use but I wouldn't advise video streaming with only 1.5GB allowance as you'll quickly go over - You could put a limit on your phone at 1.4GB so but that's only an hour or two of video.If your laptop has HDMI-out, you're otherwise set Log into whichever streaming service (Amazon Prime here) or have a read about what's possible with Kodi.If you have video files already, you can watch those from the laptop without an Internet connection (VLC plays almost anything).

yes i think i will ask can i try before i buy.. and 1.5 went on fbook lol laptop has hdmi so yes i can download on that i suppose but i am bad at it...think you have helped me make the decision tho! Thank you x
If you pay for Amazon prime you can download stuff to that now
You could also look to take EE broadband for home use and for a mobile contract.. this will give u 10GB a month of extra data. You can also find TBC will give you about £100 for joining EE broadband.

I have more data than I need with this..
If they have given you their mifi, it probably works ok there on three. Three have some cracking deals on data. Certainly get a free sim from three stick a little credit on it and try it. They are really easy to use, and it's they stream ok you can upgrade to a SIM only rolling monthly contract. As for streaming, I have found that streaming uses much less data than downloading. And downloading From Amazon uses more data than downloading From Netflix. I don't know why, I expect someone can explain this.
Original Poster
snoopy1814 h, 4 m ago

If you pay for Amazon prime you can download stuff to that now

yes i have prime thanks its easy to download with that!
Original Poster
Dawsy13 h, 57 m ago

You could also look to take EE broadband for home use and for a mobile …You could also look to take EE broadband for home use and for a mobile contract.. this will give u 10GB a month of extra data. You can also find TBC will give you about £100 for joining EE broadband.I have more data than I need with this..

thanks will look at that x
Original Poster
mrty13 h, 48 m ago

If they have given you their mifi, it probably works ok there on three. …If they have given you their mifi, it probably works ok there on three. Three have some cracking deals on data. Certainly get a free sim from three stick a little credit on it and try it. They are really easy to use, and it's they stream ok you can upgrade to a SIM only rolling monthly contract. As for streaming, I have found that streaming uses much less data than downloading. And downloading From Amazon uses more data than downloading From Netflix. I don't know why, I expect someone can explain this.

they were an old couple shes only used it for browsing..thats my problem i dont know how much wifi i will use for streaming..i guess i have to get into the habit of downloading at home and taking with us. Thank you x
plumberman0141 m ago

they were an old couple shes only used it for browsing..thats my problem i …they were an old couple shes only used it for browsing..thats my problem i dont know how much wifi i will use for streaming..i guess i have to get into the habit of downloading at home and taking with us. Thank you x

You have two choices.

Choice 1 - use the site Wi-Fi. If I understand you correctly you pay a monthly fee for access. You need to decide if the allowance is adequate and the cost reasonable.

Choice 2 - access mobile broadband independently, either via a Mifi or by tethering. If you go this route there are some great deals out there. You can get a sim to try this out very cheaply. Sim is usually free, stick a tenner on it and try that. I don't know who you'd mobile phone is with but with Three you can get 30Gb data with 30Gb personal hotspot (tethering) , all you can eat minutes and all you can eat texts, SIM only for £18.00 a month.
Personally is go for a three plan. Most include go binge, which is streaming without using your data allowance from certain sites. Netflix is one of the sites. TV player is another ( 60+ channels).The best way to get value out of your data is to download films. This uses less data than streaming.
Original Poster
mrty31 m ago

You have two choices.Choice 1 - use the site Wi-Fi. If I understand you …You have two choices.Choice 1 - use the site Wi-Fi. If I understand you correctly you pay a monthly fee for access. You need to decide if the allowance is adequate and the cost reasonable.Choice 2 - access mobile broadband independently, either via a Mifi or by tethering. If you go this route there are some great deals out there. You can get a sim to try this out very cheaply. Sim is usually free, stick a tenner on it and try that. I don't know who you'd mobile phone is with but with Three you can get 30Gb data with 30Gb personal hotspot (tethering) , all you can eat minutes and all you can eat texts, SIM only for £18.00 a month. Personally is go for a three plan. Most include go binge, which is streaming without using your data allowance from certain sites. Netflix is one of the sites. TV player is another ( 60+ channels).The best way to get value out of your data is to download films. This uses less data than streaming.

thank you! im on 3 but have id mobile. It works well but it ate it and i only used it for browsing and emails etc. I need to understand what drains it. (at home i use maybe 200mb a month so it was a shock..)
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants