HELP PLEASE,COMPUTER WHIZZ.WHY DOES MY COMPUTER TURN OFF AND RESTART OR JUST FREEZE?

Can any body help please.
Our computer has started to turn off but restart imediatley, or it just freezes, and we hav to resart it.once it freezes/turns off it may do it again 5mins later or it might be 1hour later, please help, we getting very frustrated.

29 Comments

at a guess id say ram or mother board gone and unlikey but possible a virus see what others say!! more likely ram in my opinion

Check your fan make sure its not clogged up, it may be overheating

bigfoot100;6772184

never hurts to clean the fan but id of thought if it was over heating it would be such a random time span

Original Poster

Thank you.Hubby has done checks for virus and i think we have plent of anti virus protection?? will show him your reply when he is home.

hope you get it sorted soon !!:thumbsup:

It could very well be an overheating problem, if one of your fans have failed (it happens). The next time it's off - take the side panel from the computer case off, and start it up. Without sticking your fingers inside, have a check to see if all the fans are spinning and working as they should. Might also be worth investing in an air duster to clean any dust and debris from the fans, memory sticks etc... so it's not hotter than what it should be.

When you start the PC up, if you can get into your BIOS (normally by pressing F8 a few times - depending on motherboard - instructions to do this should be advertised on bottup), you should be able to read the temperatures in some of the settings by manually going through the options at the top using the arrow keys and enter. You don't need to change anything, and you can always exit without saving any changes.

That would be my first guess, but it could be many other things which we can go into later.

Edit** This was meant to be the 2nd reply, but I spent too long typing lol. It seems someone else had the same idea

Big T 721;6772203

never hurts to clean the fan but id of thought if it was over heating it … never hurts to clean the fan but id of thought if it was over heating it would be such a random time span

True but it does depend on usage

bigfoot100;6772256

True but it does depend on usage

True what you say but most new comps will power off when over heating rather then lock up or restart.

Could also be a corrupt driver - does it blue screen at all?

Which version of Windows are you using?
You can check the logs to see the cause of the crash

in my experience its probably overheating

Original Poster

SamuraiHQ;6772252

It could very well be an overheating problem, if one of your fans have … It could very well be an overheating problem, if one of your fans have failed (it happens). The next time it's off - take the side panel from the computer case off, and start it up. Without sticking your fingers inside, have a check to see if all the fans are spinning and working as they should. Might also be worth investing in an air duster to clean any dust and debris from the fans, memory sticks etc... so it's not hotter than what it should be.When you start the PC up, if you can get into your BIOS (normally by pressing F8 a few times - depending on motherboard - instructions to do this should be advertised on bottup), you should be able to read the temperatures in some of the settings by manually going through the options at the top using the arrow keys and enter. You don't need to change anything, and you can always exit without saving any changes.That would be my first guess, but it could be many other things which we can go into later.Edit** This was meant to be the 2nd reply, but I spent too long typing lol. It seems someone else had the same idea

(Hubby at home now)
i haven't checked the fans yet as the PC will freeze on start up when cold even when you have selected the user name.
About 5 weeks ago i replaced the graphics card as the original failed (the fan seized). The new card is a Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 4600 Series 1GB AGP card. Once installed everything worked fine until last week. I do play a game called Command and Conquer now and again and the freezing does seem to happen AFTER playing this game, but haven't played now for several days, but PC is still freezing (sometimes restarts without warning). One thought i have had is that i downloaded the latest graphics card driver and i think (not sure) that this problem has only started since download.

Original Poster

JackUzi;6772772

Could also be a corrupt driver - does it blue screen at all?

Hi,
No blue screen.
Pc will turn off without warning.

As bad as this sounds (I'm not winding you up).

Unplug all the cables (yes, power too) and hold down the power button for around 30-60 seconds, release, plug cables back in and try.

Original Poster

MrBrightside1987;6773109

Which version of Windows are you using?You can check the logs to see the … Which version of Windows are you using?You can check the logs to see the cause of the crash

Windows XP home edition.

There are hundreds of lines showing this below?

Type Date Time Source Category Event User Computer
Error 03/11/2009 21:57:12 Service Control Manager None 7023 N/A
Information 03/11/2009 21:57:12 Service Control Manager None 7036 N/A
Information 03/11/2009 21:57:12 Service Control Manager None 7035 SYSTEM

Original Poster

bigfoot100;6772184

Hi

i'm sure the fan isn't blocked as the PC was cleaned thoroughly when i fitted a new 1GB graphics card.

GRGO140;6774090

Hi i'm sure the fan isn't blocked as the PC was cleaned thoroughly when i … Hi i'm sure the fan isn't blocked as the PC was cleaned thoroughly when i fitted a new 1GB graphics card.

download a small program(free) called memtest run that and see the result.... hope this helps

Anything plugged into usb ports, sometimes can be the cause ......

Original Poster

Big T 721;6772233

hope you get it sorted soon !!:thumbsup:

Thank you, so do I, its very frustrating to say the least!

GRGO140;6773928

(Hubby at home now)i haven't checked the fans yet as the PC will freeze … (Hubby at home now)i haven't checked the fans yet as the PC will freeze on start up when cold even when you have selected the user name.About 5 weeks ago i replaced the graphics card as the original failed (the fan seized). The new card is a Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 4600 Series 1GB AGP card. Once installed everything worked fine until last week. I do play a game called Command and Conquer now and again and the freezing does seem to happen AFTER playing this game, but haven't played now for several days, but PC is still freezing (sometimes restarts without warning). One thought i have had is that i downloaded the latest graphics card driver and i think (not sure) that this problem has only started since download.

Right ok, I think I may have nailed it, as I had a similar problem myself. I purchased a Sapphire ATI Radeon 2600+ Pro AGP card a couple of years back (AGP) to replace the ATI 9800 which broke (funnily enough, the fan was also the cause. It broke clean off). I could have replaced the fan, but decided to replace the card instead with a better model.

Anyway, long story short... the drivers ATI release these days are for the PCI-E cards. AGP are considered obsolete, despite companies like Sapphire continuing to sell them. As such, you NEED the correct drivers installed, or the crashing will continue. Fortunately, they are available, but you will need to look out for the AGP Fix (or HOTFIX) from either ATI's website, or Sapphire's. I was using Sapphire's drivers for a while but they were very slow at releasing their "updated fixes", and I started using ATI's. I'll have a look for the link now for you...

Original Poster

SamuraiHQ;6777584

Right ok, I think I may have nailed it, as I had a similar problem … Right ok, I think I may have nailed it, as I had a similar problem myself. I purchased a Sapphire ATI Radeon 2600+ Pro AGP card a couple of years back (AGP) to replace the ATI 9800 which broke (funnily enough, the fan was also the cause. It broke clean off). I could have replaced the fan, but decided to replace the card instead with a better model.Anyway, long story short... the drivers ATI release these days are for the PCI-E cards. AGP are considered obsolete, despite companies like Sapphire continuing to sell them. As such, you NEED the correct drivers installed, or the crashing will continue. Fortunately, they are available, but you will need to look out for the AGP Fix (or HOTFIX) from either ATI's website, or Sapphire's. I was using Sapphire's drivers for a while but they were very slow at releasing their "updated fixes", and I started using ATI's. I'll have a look for the link now for you...

Sorry so late getting back, thank you so much for your time to help,
we did what you said and computer stayed on for at least 3 hours we were thinking yes its fixed and then it turned OFF, we are pulling our hair out now.

Understandable... I believe I did the same thing when it happened to me.

Right ok... I'm almost 100% certain it's this that's causing the issue. It all points to the exact same issue I had. I'm currently using the ATI 9.1 HotFix, and after Googling, I managed to find the correct URL for your system, providing you're on 32 bit. It's: a248.e.akamai.net/f/6…exe

There's no need to install the Control Centre, just make sure it's the driver only installation.

BEFORE you do any of this, please do ensure you uninstall the drivers on your system first. You may need to reboot, and then install the older set. So download the other drivers I linked to. When done, uninstall the current drivers, and go through the motions.

If it's STILL rebooting some time later, do check one of the fans isn't blocked and I would advise to clean the insides (obviously switched off) with an air duster. You "can" use a vacuum, but these can produce static electricity which can fry circuitry. That being said... I've used my Dyson to clean up lots of debris, dust and other carp from my fans for over 4 years without a problem. Just be careful not to touch anything when you go inside like bare metal contacts and resistors. Clean the blades of the fans definately though.

On another note, while you're reading this, the PC will obviously be turned on - have a look in your Event Manager to see what Windows is saying is happening.

In XP:

1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel. Click Performance and Maintenance, then click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Computer Management. Or, open the MMC containing the Event Viewer snap-in.
2. In the console tree, click Event Viewer.

The Application, Security, and System logs are displayed in the Event Viewer window.

It's the SYSTEM logs we're interested in. Have a look around the times that it rebooted itself or shut down. These will normall have an icon with a yellow triangle, or a red "warning". Some of the messages will say somethiong along the lines of processor is free. Ignore those. Others will say "system came to a sudden stop". Ignore those too. You need to find the CAUSE. Good luck!

Original Poster

SamuraiHQ;6786676

Understandable... I believe I did the same thing when it happened to … Understandable... I believe I did the same thing when it happened to me.Right ok... I'm almost 100% certain it's this that's causing the issue. It all points to the exact same issue I had. I'm currently using the ATI 9.1 HotFix, and after Googling, I managed to find the correct URL for your system, providing you're on 32 bit. It's: https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206/0/www2.ati.com/drivers/hotfix/9-1agp-hotfix_xp32_dd_ccc_74242.exeThere's no need to install the Control Centre, just make sure it's the driver only installation.BEFORE you do any of this, please do ensure you uninstall the drivers on your system first. You may need to reboot, and then install the older set. So download the other drivers I linked to. When done, uninstall the current drivers, and go through the motions.If it's STILL rebooting some time later, do check one of the fans isn't blocked and I would advise to clean the insides (obviously switched off) with an air duster. You "can" use a vacuum, but these can produce static electricity which can fry circuitry. That being said... I've used my Dyson to clean up lots of debris, dust and other carp from my fans for over 4 years without a problem. Just be careful not to touch anything when you go inside like bare metal contacts and resistors. Clean the blades of the fans definately though.On another note, while you're reading this, the PC will obviously be turned on - have a look in your Event Manager to see what Windows is saying is happening.In XP:1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel. Click Performance and Maintenance, then click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Computer Management. Or, open the MMC containing the Event Viewer snap-in. 2. In the console tree, click Event Viewer.The Application, Security, and System logs are displayed in the Event Viewer window.It's the SYSTEM logs we're interested in. Have a look around the times that it rebooted itself or shut down. These will normall have an icon with a yellow triangle, or a red "warning". Some of the messages will say somethiong along the lines of processor is free. Ignore those. Others will say "system came to a sudden stop". Ignore those too. You need to find the CAUSE. Good luck!

Thanks for the info.
I have tried to get onto the site via your link, but the page show "Unauthorised Download", so what i have done so far is to reinstall the original driver. Again, we thought it is fixed, but the computer restarted without warning (even when writing this). With this fault, the pc can freeze, restart or actually shut down without warning.
If your recommended hotfix doesn't work, do you think it is worth removing the graphics card and use the onboard graphics to see if this is the problem? Maybe the card is faulty.
Errors -
Application - on 04/11/09 - Error - application Hang
Security - No errors on security
System log - Errors everywhere which show - Service Control manager - Event 7023 or 20035 - User N/A. This error is more or less shown every minute.
(Frustrating now).
Thanks so much.

Event 7023 is in relation to your Windows Firewall I believe so that can be ignored. You should be looking for those in red, around the time your system has switched off or rebooted.

ATI are really funny (not in the comical sense) when it comes to driver downloads. They don't like anyone linking their downloads, yet they can't seem to produce stable ones for the hardware they produce.

I would offer to upload these for you, but the only drivers I have are for Vista so they won't work with your setup. I'm looking for you now though, and when I find it online (or a link) I'll post it so you can download and enjoy.

Don't bother with the onboard grahics. You'll have a nightmare.

This should work. If not, I've downloaded them myself so I can always upload them to you.

forums.amd.com/gam…d=y

Scroll down the page until you can see the WINDOWS XP version you're after. I'm assuming it's 32 bit. Link will work there.

Once downloaded, uninstall current drivers.

Reboot.

Clean registry (if you use CCleaner) and remove all ATI folders in your hard drive.

Ensure these are wiped off your system.

Install above drivers.

Reboot.

Original Poster

SamuraiHQ;6805943

This should work. If not, I've downloaded them myself so I can always … This should work. If not, I've downloaded them myself so I can always upload them to you.http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=279&threadid=108263&enterthread=yScroll down the page until you can see the WINDOWS XP version you're after. I'm assuming it's 32 bit. Link will work there.Once downloaded, uninstall current drivers.Reboot.Clean registry (if you use CCleaner) and remove all ATI folders in your hard drive.Ensure these are wiped off your system.Install above drivers.Reboot.

Thank you for time with this issue.

Bad news I'm afraid. i have done everythig you have suggested above, but when I tried to install the ATI hotfix, the information on screen suggested that compatable hardware was not found. I checked and double checked that the download was correct for Windows XP 32 bit and it was. In the meantime I have had to reinstall the original software.
What I did find though is that without the driver (or Sapphire software) installed, the PC did not freeze or restart once.

No worries.

I think you've found (like me) that we made a bad judgement when it came to purchasing a graphics card. I should have read more reviews at the time, as the 'net is full of stories about our cards and the hotfix which is supposed to solve all these issues. As you're aware, Sapphire do offer their own drivers for their cards but they're just as much hit and miss as the ATI ones. I currently found the set which doesn't crash my PC anymore, after MUCH trial and error. If you do find the drivers that allow you to use your PC without fear of crashing, keep them.

Here's the link for the Sapphire Drivers. Be sure to download the hotfix only - sapphiretech.com/pre…006

Original Poster

SamuraiHQ;6816401

No worries.I think you've found (like me) that we made a bad judgement … No worries.I think you've found (like me) that we made a bad judgement when it came to purchasing a graphics card. I should have read more reviews at the time, as the 'net is full of stories about our cards and the hotfix which is supposed to solve all these issues. As you're aware, Sapphire do offer their own drivers for their cards but they're just as much hit and miss as the ATI ones. I currently found the set which doesn't crash my PC anymore, after MUCH trial and error. If you do find the drivers that allow you to use your PC without fear of crashing, keep them.Here's the link for the Sapphire Drivers. Be sure to download the hotfix only - http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/downloads/download_index_01.aspx?psn=0006

Thanks again for your reply.
I will try this link too.
I purchased the card from Misco online and i have now asked them to send me a replacement (probably an Nvidia), so i await their reply. I will update you when they fob me off as I do not have the original packaging.
You have been very helpful to a person you don't even know.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. I banned myself from HUKD for 3m, I saved so much money!2642
    2. Thousands of minimum wage workers to receive part of £2,000,000 compensatio…44
    3. Weekly game codes giveaway 183722
    4. How much would you pay for this chair?1214

See more discussions