Found 12th Jan
I recently bought a EVGA SuperNOVA GS 850 Watt (fully modular) to replace the old PSU in my PC which had given up the ghost. However I can't see a ground cable (like my old PSU had) which would attach to the mobo screw and ground the PC case. Is this normal? Should I be concerned?

1. Ask
  2. PSU
Groups
  1. Ask
  2. PSU
14 Comments

That PSU grounds it self with to case via the screws you use when putting it in the bay in the case.

Original Poster

Thanks. That makes sense.

I would find out why it had the fly leads to ground them. Normally you mobo is grounded on brass extenders. I'd grab a multimeter and check grounding between case, psu and motherboard.

If your computer was a dell or something similar (big box brand) then a replacement PSU might not have the same color coding or wire harness layout.
I have never in my life seen a grounding cable go from a modern ATX PSU to the motherboard. If your case is Plastic, Glass, or some other non-conductive material then it could be needed.

Just being curious, How old is the PC?... Cause I have seen it done before, but not since about the 80's ;P...
Edited by: "xyhz123456" 13th Jan

xyhz123456

If your computer was a dell or something similar (big box brand) then a … If your computer was a dell or something similar (big box brand) then a replacement PSU might not have the same color coding or wire harness layout.I have never in my life seen a grounding cable go from a modern ATX PSU to the motherboard. If your case is Plastic, Glass, or some other non-conductive material then it could be needed.Just being curious, How old is the PC?... Cause I have seen it done before, but not since about the 80's ;P...

​Nah, I can remember the old AT PSUs and they were replaced in the mid 90s for ATX. Could be an old forces PC that has some strange requirements for extra shielding or something random reason.

I stand corrected. The Mushkin XP 650 has an earth fly lead.
pcstats.com/art…967

i have the same psu and didn't ground it other than screw it to the case. I wouldn't worry

Original Poster

xyhz123456

If your computer was a dell or something similar (big box brand) then a … If your computer was a dell or something similar (big box brand) then a replacement PSU might not have the same color coding or wire harness layout.I have never in my life seen a grounding cable go from a modern ATX PSU to the motherboard. If your case is Plastic, Glass, or some other non-conductive material then it could be needed.Just being curious, How old is the PC?... Cause I have seen it done before, but not since about the 80's ;P...

It's actually not that old. I built it in 2008. This is the spec:
Core 2 Quad Q9550(rev.E0,2.83GHz,1333FSB,L2:12MB)
4 x 4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800mhz RAM
Striker II formula
BFG GeForce 9800GTX 512MB
Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS
Tagan 2-Force II Series 800 Watt PSU (Link: overclockers.co.uk/tag…tml )
2x Seagate Barracuda 250 GB in raid array
1x Seagate Barracuda 250 GB (storage drive)
Vista 64-bit
Antec (metal based) case

PS. Yes, I know the PSU is massive overkill

Edited by: "traylee" 13th Jan

I did wonder if it was a Tagan, that was their gimmick for a while.

Original Poster

EndlessWaves

I did wonder if it was a Tagan, that was their gimmick for a while.

I did also wonder now that I think about it... Gimmick or not, one of the main uses of this PC was for recording WAVs/audio to the HDDs, and the recordings it made were perfect... although sometimes it refused to record all together due to weird glitch I had with the system which I've never been able to fix!
Edited by: "traylee" 13th Jan

traylee

I did also wonder now that I think about it... Gimmick or not, one of the … I did also wonder now that I think about it... Gimmick or not, one of the main uses of this PC was for recording WAVs/audio to the HDDs, and the recordings it made were perfect... although sometimes it refused to record all together due to weird glitch I had with the system which I've never been able to fix!

Don't worry Creative tried and failed all the time with their drivers

Original Poster

kester76

Don't worry Creative tried and failed all the time with their drivers

Yeah, it's all coming back to me now... all the faffin with hacked drivers, and it still wouldn't work properly all the time. Such a shame their software/drivers weren't up to scratch (or more accurately updated for 64bit OS). Their hardware was good value for money IMO.

traylee

Yeah, it's all coming back to me now... all the faffin with hacked … Yeah, it's all coming back to me now... all the faffin with hacked drivers, and it still wouldn't work properly all the time. Such a shame their software/drivers weren't up to scratch (or more accurately updated for 64bit OS). Their hardware was good value for money IMO.

They were good at the beginning but got greedy on the x-fi range and started put cheap caps on £150 soundcards. I had the extreme gamer Fatal1ty pro and my friend the Elite. Nice gold caps on the Elite but the Fatal1ty had the cheapest caps they could buy, not even audio quality caps on the op amps. Cheap Jamicons instead of jap gold caps.
Card died after 3 years. My original SBlive! was still working so it shows how complacent they got. I remember getting their recommend Cambridge soundworks 4.1 speakers, truly awfulx2 speakers, swapped them for Microsoft soundsystem speakers that were amazing.
https://img.olx.pt/images_olxpt/826760027_1_644x461_colunas-cambridge-soundworks-41-completo-gondomar_rev002.jpg

Unless you're buying an ZXR is wouldn't recommend Creative

Original Poster

It was the original SBlive I wanted for this machine to begin with, but by then I couldn't find it new or in "like new" condition for a reasonable price, so had to settle for the later version (from ebay in "like new" cond.). I already had one, but it was already in use in my other PC at the time.

No way I'd ever buy pc speakers from a company like Creative - at least not unless they were getting excellent reviews. I've always used either an old Technics hi-fi separate amp (from the 80's) with a pair of studio monitors, or my current setup which is a cheap power-amp and pair of mid-range cabs that I picked up from a cash converters type place for £150. It's actually not a bad system, with good punchy sound considering how "no name" the brands are, but it was a stop-gap measure, as I came across it when I was moving house and needed a new system, but 4 and a bit years later and I'm still more than happy not to update it.

At some point I'll put in the main system in the room next door, which is a 500W RMS per channel pro-grade power amp and some old JBL M-series speakers from the 90's that I picked up on ebay. Not my pic, or in as good condition/well restored as mine, but here's a pic of a JBL-M350 like mine:
avsite.gr/for…jpg" alt="avsite.gr/for…jpg" />
avsite.gr/for…jpg

I'll probably never run them close to full pelt though. My hearing already took a hammering when I was younger!

Not really that familiar with dedicated PC speaker systems, but I do like the Boze portable speakers I got when I was doing a bit of traveling a few years back. They pack quite a punch for their size! If I was looking for a new rig I'd probably look at companies like JBL and Boze first, although I suspect the price tags for their decent kit would likely have me looking for alternatives fast

Going back to the original topic... after installing the new PSU, and trying to power up, nothing happens. The Mobo is showing that power is getting to it (an LED comes on), but no fans, and no post. I guess it wasn't the PSU that went after all. My next thought is to try replacing the GFX. I've had a few die on me in the past due to getting clogged up with dust, and it might be the case this time too I think. I think there is one here somewhere I can use, if I can find it. Might take some digging through boxes! If that doesn't work I guess it's time to start removing all but essential components...
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition75856
    2. E: 22/09 (+6) Win £40,000, a BMW X4 and a Gadget Bundle with Good Morning B…88
    3. Magazine competitions - Issue 43 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk55
    4. Win free gin for a year99

See more discussions