Groups

Help re: Fish Tanks

hey guys...thinking of getting a fish tank for downstairs living room.... dont really wanna clean it myself...was wondering how efficient those self cleaning ones....and do they really exist (as they did in Finding Nemo!!)

wanted to get one of those coloumn fish tanks (want to put it in the corner) but they are pricey .....

anyways just want feedback on fish tanks....thanks

21 Comments

the really narrow tall fish tanks look nice but arnt really fair to the fish they swim horazontly not vertically!!

and remember beans nemo is a cartoon lol theres no such thing as a self cleaning fish tank you are always going to have to put some work into it and lug buckets of water around and they stink!!

they dont entirely clean themselves, but a sparsly stocked large tank with a strong filter or 2 can be pretty low maintainance. anything under 30 gallons will need regular cleaning, and big fish such as plecos will need regular vacuuming of the tank floor. if you can do a 10% water change a week its not hard work.

Ive got a 2ft tank and it's sooo easy to keep sparly clean!! Just get a 'hoover' cleaner and suck out the rubbish from the bottom of the tank then re-fill with clean treated water, easy peasy!!

My opinion would be don't even go there, if you are already thinking that you "don't wanna clean it myself" then you should not keep fish.

I do partial water changes once a fortnight and takes about an hour or so for a 4ft tank, then some cleaning and general maintenance and feeding.

You will need to get a tank and then cycle the water to mature your filter for about a month or maybe 2 without any fish, this is the hardest part with a "newbie" so please if you are thinking of doing this, carry out some serious research and set time aside to clean and water changes and will enjoy the tank for years.

HTH

Original Poster

foxymissroxy;4178351

the really narrow tall fish tanks look nice but arnt really fair to the … the really narrow tall fish tanks look nice but arnt really fair to the fish they swim horazontly not vertically!! and remember beans nemo is a cartoon lol theres no such thing as a self cleaning fish tank you are always going to have to put some work into it and lug buckets of water around and they stink!!

damn u nemooooooooooooo!! thanks for info.... i dont wanna be cleaning smelly tanks esp in living room!!

seancampbell;4178352

they dont entirely clean themselves, but a sparsly stocked large tank … they dont entirely clean themselves, but a sparsly stocked large tank with a strong filter or 2 can be pretty low maintainance. anything under 30 gallons will need regular cleaning, and big fish such as plecos will need regular vacuuming of the tank floor. if you can do a 10% water change a week its not hard work.

well wil be under 30 gallons...how often would it need to be cleaned?

stephchapman1980;4178375

Ive got a 2ft tank and it's sooo easy to keep sparly clean!! Just get a … Ive got a 2ft tank and it's sooo easy to keep sparly clean!! Just get a 'hoover' cleaner and suck out the rubbish from the bottom of the tank then re-fill with clean treated water, easy peasy!!

how do u clean it...take fishy out.... then scrub the tank in the sink?then hoover the floor then refill and put fishy back?

is this process harder for tropical fish?

Original Poster

goderic;4178405

My opinion would be don't even go there, if you are already thinking that … My opinion would be don't even go there, if you are already thinking that you "don't wanna clean it myself" then you should not keep fish.I do partial water changes once a fortnight and takes about an hour or so for a 4ft tank, then some cleaning and general maintenance and feeding.You will need to get a tank and then cycle the water to mature your filter for about a month or maybe 2 without any fish, this is the hardest part with a "newbie" so please if you are thinking of doing this, carry out some serious research and set time aside to clean and water changes and will enjoy the tank for years.HTH

wow ive really gone off the idea now!! thanks for ur feedback!:)

Hi, I've got a baby Bi-Orb and it only needs 2 inches of water removing every 2 weeks to clean it as it cleans it itself through-out the rest of the time. I have it in my lounge and its really attractive to look at too. We only have one coldwater fish in it but I'm told you can buy something to make it suitable for tropical fish.

.....dont really wanna clean it myself

1. I lol'd when I read this part that I fell off my chair....

2. After picking oneself up off the floor, then I am now in a better position to recommend the following easy-care fish tank for you MB...

http://www.natureartists.com/art/resized/1086_Goldfish_300dpi_smcopy.jpg

:-D

Original Poster

BargainQueenNo1;4178432

Hi, I've got a baby Bi-Orb and it only needs 2 inches of water removing … Hi, I've got a baby Bi-Orb and it only needs 2 inches of water removing every 2 weeks to clean it as it cleans it itself through-out the rest of the time. I have it in my lounge and its really attractive to look at too. We only have one coldwater fish in it but I'm told you can buy something to make it suitable for tropical fish.

THEY SELL THEM AT PETS AT HOME..AS I SAW ON (whoops caps on!) line last night...cool that looks ok...what just scoop out some water...thats it?

StevenA2000_uk;4178778

1. I lol'd when I read this part that I fell off my chair....2. After … 1. I lol'd when I read this part that I fell off my chair....2. After picking oneself up off the floor, then I am now in a better position to recommend the following easy-care fish tank for you MB...[IMG]http://www.natureartists.com/art/resized/1086_Goldfish_300dpi_smcopy:-D

hahaha.....seriously that looks too much work for me!:p

[QUOTE=BargainQueenNo1;4178432]Hi, I've got a baby Bi-Orb and it only needs 2 inches of water removing every 2 weeks to clean it as it cleans it itself through-out the rest of the time. I have it in my lounge and its really attractive to look at too. We only have one coldwater fish in it but I'm told you can buy something to make it suitable for tropical fish.[/QUOTE]

A heater??? :lol:

biorbs arnt really good homes for goldfish imo but if you get the tropical one you can get some stunning tetras!! :thumbsup:

Original Poster

foxymissroxy;4181570

[QUOTE=BargainQueenNo1;4178432]Hi, I've got a baby Bi-Orb and it only … [QUOTE=BargainQueenNo1;4178432]Hi, I've got a baby Bi-Orb and it only needs 2 inches of water removing every 2 weeks to clean it as it cleans it itself through-out the rest of the time. I have it in my lounge and its really attractive to look at too. We only have one coldwater fish in it but I'm told you can buy something to make it suitable for tropical fish.[/QUOTE]A heater??? :lol:biorbs arnt really good homes for goldfish imo but if you get the tropical one you can get some stunning tetras!! :thumbsup:

okay...will go pets at home over weekend and investigate!:thumbsup:

It doesn't take much to clean a tank . If you want a easy cleaning tank buy a biorb

Original Poster

thanks juicy

Please dont get a tank or any fish, if cannot be bothered with the cleaning. Or you will join many of the numpties, who buy a tank, fill it with fish in 1 day, and then wonder why they are all dead within a week.

Get a fish tank DVD or screensaver real fish deserve better.

got 2 bio-orbs in my house, one upstairs in my little ones room (baby bio-orb with moonlight) as BQN1 says very little partial water change needed not that often, I've found it to be great for her.

Downstairs I have a Bio-Orb life with marine conversion kit, I was all ready for alterations to the actual tank to keep shape to sustain marine fish (clownfish like nemos) but its actually worked out great, I have 2 clownfish and 2 little damsels in there, and some clean up crew consisting of 2 shrimps and 2 hermit crabs, as well as the other invertibrates thats come curtosy of my live rock, its been 20 odd weeks now and while a lot said it couldnt be done with the tank n its current state i've proved them wrong, all levels are steady and my little fishes are v. happy. however it does take a lot of care and regular water changes as well as a wipe cown of coral line so thats not for you, heres a pic.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f271/minstrelman/fishies.jpg

I do reccomend the bio-orb, but the curveture off the glass means you cant always see the fish due to refraction, are you thinking cold water or tropical?

dont really wanna clean it myself

embarrassing fail.

Original Poster

went to pets at home and spent 419 ona corner unit tank......

now its a fail! haha!! total bill came to just under 500 as bought ornamaents and its and bobs..gotta go back for the fish in a week...hubby on clean up duty....haha..once a week as its an external filter so not too bad...apparently...

will post piccies of tank and fishy when we get the fishy!

External filters are pretty good. Are you using fishes to cycle it or have you considered doing a fishless cycle prior to fully stocking it in one go?

seancampbell;4202102

External filters are pretty good. Are you using fishes to cycle it or … External filters are pretty good. Are you using fishes to cycle it or have you considered doing a fishless cycle prior to fully stocking it in one go?

is this a 5yo giving advice??? :lol:

You should keep it running for 1-2weeks before putting fish in it else they might die of toxic shock! its very much up from a biorb tho lmao

heres a good link for fishie-lessness cycling :-D
    ]PFK

For the fishes sake please stock the tank slowly, and I might find it useful to look up fish diseases, as when I looked at the tanks in Pets at home recently, at least half of the fish were riddled with whitespot.

Find a good local independent Fish supplier, who has real knowledge not a bod who has been on a half day course., try looking on the Practical Fishkeepers website, for recommended suppliers.

Any pics yet babe? x
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. The PlayStation VR (PSVR) Thread861857
      2. SNES Classic launches 29th September 2017 - Check for stock and pre-order i…4661379
      3. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846149
      4. Sad Gazza anecdote August 8th 2017 - Beyond help?44

See more discussions