Help reduce waste with FREE Recycling from Gillette

Posted 12th Dec 2019
Help the environment with free Recycling. gillette.co.uk/rec…ist

HOW DOES RAZOR BLADE

RECYCLING WORK?
Simply email us your name and full delivery address and we will do the rest!

COLLECT Instead of throwing razors away, collect them at home

ORDER ENVELOPE Simply email your delivery address and name using the link below, or emailing recycle@feedback.gillette.co.uk

START RECYCLING

SENDWe will send you a free post envelope in 2-3 weeks to put your blades in and send by Royal Mail. It's completely free!

gillette.co.uk/rec…ist
Community Updates

Groups

14 Comments
Free post every 2-3 weeks.
In other Words have some pressure with a regular reminder to swap your blades out. We make more money and you don’t stretch their life out.
Get woke go broke!
I put by blades in a sharp bin.
Oneday7712/12/2019 15:20

Free post every 2-3 weeks. In other Words have some pressure with a …Free post every 2-3 weeks. In other Words have some pressure with a regular reminder to swap your blades out. We make more money and you don’t stretch their life out.

Ordered one about 8 weeks ago no reminders what so ever during that time. You can send them back whenever you want to
Rune_2H12/12/2019 15:22

Comment deleted

Aren't the blades larger and last a shorter period? How exactly does that produce less waste?
EndlessWaves12/12/2019 17:10

Specifically?

Having multiple blades on a razor helps cut more hair in one single pass but it doesn't necessarily give a close shave. In fact, having more blades would mean an increase in blade friction that can irritate the skin. And that is bad news, especially for those with sensitive skin, or prone to razor bumps.

If one pass of a single blade blunts the blade then one pass of a multi-blade razor blunts each blade, perhaps not equally. A single cartridge blade has a lot of plastic DE blades don't. You can also pickup DE blades for a fraction of the cost.

DE shaving has paper packing and mach razors are a comprised of so much plastic. The blister, the holder and the frame that holds the blades. Then Gillette wants you to post all that plastic to them adding to the environmental pollution.

My used DE blades go into my ceramic hob scraper and then into the scrap metal pile for the tat man.

For the sake of the environment please switch to DE.
Edited by: "mogsog" 12th Dec 2019
mogsog12/12/2019 20:12

A single cartridge blade has a lot of plastic DE blades don't.

The linked page for this topic specifically says they're recycling both the metal and plastic parts.

DE blades have a lot more material in them. I had a quick check of two I had laying around and the cartridge was 1.1g while the old razor blade was 1.7g. So there's 50% more waste needing to be recycled even if you keep them the same length of time.
EndlessWaves12/12/2019 20:38

The linked page for this topic specifically says they're recycling both …The linked page for this topic specifically says they're recycling both the metal and plastic parts. DE blades have a lot more material in them. I had a quick check of two I had laying around and the cartridge was 1.1g while the old razor blade was 1.7g. So there's 50% more waste needing to be recycled even if you keep them the same length of time.

Yes this is correct but DE blades will be taken with:

Some local authorities in standard recycling if stored in a blade safe.

By "tat men" or metal recyclers if placed with a larger pile of metal in a tin can.

At metal bins at local supermarkets.

Very little needs to be done to recycle a stainless blade with no plastic whereas the mach blades need to be:

Handled by machinery to mechanically separate the plastic from the blades requiring yet more power. (I understand the whole blade cartridge and all is being recycled.)

Packaged and posted to a specific place incurring carbon costs.

The is also the issue that that packaging needs to be sent to you so that's two separate specific journeys the empty and then filled packaging needs to make.

Gillette is doing this because it knows that it's entire mach & venus range is an environmental disaster. They make DE stuff but don't market it as it's not as profitable. Astra blades are gillette made stainless DE.
EndlessWaves12/12/2019 20:38

The linked page for this topic specifically says they're recycling both …The linked page for this topic specifically says they're recycling both the metal and plastic parts. DE blades have a lot more material in them. I had a quick check of two I had laying around and the cartridge was 1.1g while the old razor blade was 1.7g. So there's 50% more waste needing to be recycled even if you keep them the same length of time.

Edited by: "mogsog" 12th Dec 2019
EndlessWaves12/12/2019 17:07

Aren't the blades larger and last a shorter period? How exactly does that …Aren't the blades larger and last a shorter period? How exactly does that produce less waste?

The issue of mixed materials is what creates larger recycling problems. When you have a single piece of metal which you can reliably tell what alloy it's made of then melting it back down for use elsewhere is very easy.

Mach blades are a blend of materials which need far more heavy processing.

You can't do this with cartridge blades either:
i.redd.it/1jf…gif

Recycling in the form Gillette is proposing itself has an actual environmental cost. You should reduce and reuse only recycling when the item cannot be practically used anymore.
Edited by: "mogsog" 13th Dec 2019
Let's save the planet.
RealDonaldTrump17/12/2019 20:16

Let's save the planet.

Hey Donald, hope you can sort us a new trade deal out?. Make it a beauty to wind the EU up.
ScubaDudes17/12/2019 20:57

Hey Donald, hope you can sort us a new trade deal out?. Make it a beauty …Hey Donald, hope you can sort us a new trade deal out?. Make it a beauty to wind the EU up.

I'm on it, watch this space.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants