Help regarding a home insurance claim

Found 16th Jul 2011
Hi There

I need so advice/help regarding a claim I have just made.

We made a claim as a sucidal terracotta pot decided it could not take it anymore and jumped into the toilet. For all of you on the edge of your seats saying "noooooo" the pot made it, unfortunatly the toilet did not!

Joking aside, the toilet needs to be completely replaced. The issue is that all the plumbing is all boxed in and there is no way of saving the tiles to get to the plumbing. The isurance company said they will pay for up to four tiles, that would be all well and good but our tiles are over eight years old and we will never be able to match them as they are ones the builders of the house put in. We dont have many tiles in our cloakroom but I feel the insurance company should replace them all, and as well the carpet as the toilet will have a different base.

Ive never made a home insurance claim before and Im starting to feel its a waste of time as I could have put my £300 a year away for the past eight years and have £2400 to do the work and not have a snotty woman on the end of the phone make me feel like a crimnal!!!

So if you know if I can do about this or had a similar problem please let me know.

By the way the insurance company is Royal Sun Alliance.
Community Updates
MiscInsurance
28 Comments
Why should they re-tile your whole bathroom?
Because its home insurance, if the accident had not happened then the toilet would not have to removed so the tiles would not need replacing.

The builders have tiled over the boxing where all the plumbing for the toilet is and have cut the tiles to size.
I do sympathise. Can you maybe change the tiles on the one wall, a contrast maybe to the others. I feel that insurance these days is there to 'help' with the financial loss when making a claim. We have always had to put our own money in to get the job put right.

Hope all goes well.
Unfortunatly the tiles will look really rubbish if we use a different tile. It will also drive me insane as Im very house proud and I like my house to look perfect.
Because it's home insurance is no reason to tile the whole place. They will pay to tile what's broken - that's home insurance!

Read your t&cs next time. Most will only repair or replace the affected items/areas
you will get the minimal from them, that is how they work (and make money).

In my opinion from previous dealings...
The carpet you have no chance with. It is not damaged and it is just unfortunate that it may not fit nicely round the new WC.

They will not replace all tiles. Do not get a close match - that may look not so good. The contrast idea is a good one. Also, what about just having a painted wood finish?

Good luck with your claim. In all my dealings with insurance companies (not many) they have only once gone an extra mile (that took a lot of complaining to get). I have found that to save money they will cut off their own noses.

It is frustrating when you give them free cash every year, but wait until you have the big claim, then you will be glad you have been so generous!
I was just under the impression that was what you get for an "old for new" policy. Im am going to have to pay out to get the tiling done myself and I would not need to it was not for the damn pot!!!
Thanks aberdeendad,

it just annoys me, it because so many people put in fraudlant claims in all the time.
£300 quid a year premium for home insurance? where do you live? i dont even pay a 3rd of that for building and home insurance
This is the reason when tiling I always make sure there are quite a few surplus, bathroom tiles get stored under the bath, in the kitchen under the plinths so they are not in the way or risk getting broke moving them to get to other stuff.
A decent insurer would reinstate your bathroom fully, sadly it looks like you have chosen a poor insurer.

I had a shelf fall off of the wall on to my bath, my insurers replaced the whole suite, all wall tiles and the flooring.

They decorated as well.
if the tiles are on plasterboard just remove the grout with a grout removing tool and wet it the plasterboard, after a while it should come away and you can then carefully remove and clean the tiles from the remaining plasterboard
Think of the money you saved in not having redecorated your bathroom in 8 years.
harlzter

This is the reason when tiling I always make sure there are quite a few … This is the reason when tiling I always make sure there are quite a few surplus, bathroom tiles get stored under the bath, in the kitchen under the plinths so they are not in the way or risk getting broke moving them to get to other stuff.

Yes I'd like to say that too..........But in reality I just bought too many and never go round to taking them back!
just get three quotes and ask the cheapest to uplift theirs to just below the 2nd cheapest but agree verbally that they will do the additional tiling work!
Edited by: "csiman" 16th Jul 2011
Inactive

A decent insurer would reinstate your bathroom fully, sadly it looks like … A decent insurer would reinstate your bathroom fully, sadly it looks like you have chosen a poor insurer.I had a shelf fall off of the wall on to my bath, my insurers replaced the whole suite, all wall tiles and the flooring.They decorated as well.

totally agree - I had a ceiling leak and the guy re-boarded, re-plastered, fitted halogens, new worktops and tile surrounds for cheaper than the other two quotes for ceiling skim only
Inactive

A decent insurer would reinstate your bathroom fully, sadly it looks like … A decent insurer would reinstate your bathroom fully, sadly it looks like you have chosen a poor insurer.I had a shelf fall off of the wall on to my bath, my insurers replaced the whole suite, all wall tiles and the flooring.They decorated as well.

Agreed. Same happened to me. Downstairs toilet's cistern cracked and flooded the floor one night. They replaced the whole suite, new flooring and redecorated it all as well.
csiman

totally agree - I had a ceiling leak and the guy re-boarded, … totally agree - I had a ceiling leak and the guy re-boarded, re-plastered, fitted halogens, new worktops and tile surrounds for cheaper than the other two quotes for ceiling skim only

Syzable

Agreed. Same happened to me. Downstairs toilet's cistern cracked and … Agreed. Same happened to me. Downstairs toilet's cistern cracked and flooded the floor one night. They replaced the whole suite, new flooring and redecorated it all as well.

Who's your home insured with?
demolisher

At the time i was with MoreThan
demolisher

NIG SKANDIA at the time of the claim. Insurance doubled the next year but then went with AIG as cheaper than previous years insurance. Now with Sheilas Wheels as only £150 for both BLDGS/ Contents and £100 cashback
demolisher

At the time it was Norwich Union, however they have gone downhill since becoming Aviva.

Sadly, like with most service products, you do get what you pay for.
my o/h says he doesnt usually break tiles when altering just a loo..have you asked the plumber if this will happen?
and its probably cheaper replacing a toilet bowl yourself than the extra premium you will pay after a claim?
plumberman01

my o/h says he doesnt usually break tiles when altering just a loo..have … my o/h says he doesnt usually break tiles when altering just a loo..have you asked the plumber if this will happen?

I think the OP is saying the plumbing is boxed in behind tiles.
Boxed in or not, you should be able to replace the toilet without disturbing anything else. Being a plumber myself I am in the same camp as plumberman01's OH. The pipework has to pop out of the boxing to go into the cistern. If it's a hideaway then it's just as simple. I know without seeing it you can't be 100%, but I cannot see how it can't be replaced.
Edited by: "pinkleponkle" 16th Jul 2011
Your insurers are right unfortunately - they are only due to pay for the damaged item(s) & area(s). On some of the better policies, you can get what is called "matching of items cover" which basically means that in circumstances like this, they would replace any damaged matching items that are part of a matching set, but it sounds like you just have a basic insurance cover.

Home insurance, like any insurance is a case of what you pay for is what you get, especially when the time comes to make a claim.

I'm not sure who the Op is insured with, but the cheapy, limited cover, internet-based policies aren't always the best I'm afraid. Especially these days where there is an increasing number of claims being made & the cost of these claims is also increasing.

Note to op - I reckon the best way forward would be to go back to the claims department at your insurers, point out your no-claim history etc and ask them to review your claim again with a view to lookiung at the other damage. They can only say no!

karaokecolin

Your insurers are right unfortunately - they are only due to pay for the … Your insurers are right unfortunately - they are only due to pay for the damaged item(s) & area(s). On some of the better policies, you can get what is called "matching of items cover" which basically means that in circumstances like this, they would replace any damaged matching items that are part of a matching set, but it sounds like you just have a basic insurance cover.

Most insurance is like that these days, but what you have said is correct. It also applies to couches and furniture etc and I didnt realise this untill i read it. I dread to think how much extra that 'matching cover' insurance costs though.

My sister also went through something similar when she dropped something in her bath. Her insurer would only pay for the damaged tiles imediately around the bath and thats it.

Your best bet is to have the work done and then assess how to put back the damaged parts. Painted wood is an option and its cheap to do.
Edited by: "apduk" 16th Jul 2011
its amazing the amount of things that have "DROPPED "into a bath and WRECKED it so much IT or indeed the whole bathroom needs replaced.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants