Help Regarding Canceling self employment!

Found 3rd Jan
So I’ve cancelled my self employment today filled in structured email it ended in January 2016 so I have only filled up to year ending 2016 after I filled it in I never bothered with it till now I’ve got a another self assessment that’s due.

So what I’m asking is do I need to fill in the current self assessment, as I’ve filled in the structured email to say I’ve stopped self employment.

Any help will be much appreciated.
Community Updates
Ask
7 Comments
To be honest mate, you’re best calling HMRC,m for guidance, as the last thing you want is any fines for not filing anything correctly (trust me).
As Justice says. HMRC are not ogres, if you go to them for advice they will help you (and if they do help you, they can't really later tell you it's done wrong).
Have you been asked by HMRC to submit 2016/17 self assessment? You normally get a request if you do self assessment.
Original Poster
mutley12 m ago

Have you been asked by HMRC to submit 2016/17 self assessment? You …Have you been asked by HMRC to submit 2016/17 self assessment? You normally get a request if you do self assessment.

Yes I got a request but on the previous return I stated ceased trading, and now I’ve sent a structured email to inform them as they probably didn’t check I stated ceased trading
As they have sent you a request, i would call them and explain that you have been asked to do self assessment because you were self employed but that your self employment ended last tax year, and you had stated this in your last tax return.

They will be able to advise you if you need to do a tax return or not. They may have to take the request off the system, otherwise you will receive an automatic penalty for non submission.

They may still want you to do a self assessment even if your self employment has finished as there are other information that they want to know with regard to other income and gains.
You should definitely call them ASAP mate. They could hit you with fines which just keep adding up all the time.

Give them a call, it’ll take a little while to get through probably, but worth it to make sure you get the correct info.
Simple phone call to say you no longer meet the requirements to have to file a self assessment. Go through your situation and make sure they note the details on your record. They should cancel the SA request unless you trigger the requirement in another way still (additional income etc..)
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants