Help regarding Combi Boiler

Posted 30th Oct
Hi.. Currently have a Greenstar 28i Junior Combi boiler
Timer has broken so it will cost around £100 for a new one to be fitted..
Could I use a Hive style system instead and make it work on the boiler ? I would rather pay extra to get a new generation system than pay £100 for an old school timer.
But no idea how easy it is to connect.
Any advice ?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

8 Comments
Yes but I can’t explain how to do it.
A few videos on Youtube on fitting Nests
When I moved into my house in 2003, the combi boiler didn't have a thermostat.(it sensed the water temp)
I went to wicks and bought a thermostat with a built in timer.
I basically took the wires from the timer on the boiler and extended them to the middle of the hall, the timer/thermostat did the rest (it's just a device that switches a relay)
My ex Landlord tried to fit a timer himself and screwed up the whole system ended up getting a professional in - little job became a big job, 30 min work became 4 hours, its probably best to just get a new timer fitted professionally as it may invalidate your house insurance if you do it yourself unless your qualified boiler repairs or electrician.
Get hive with BG. £125 fully fitted with free echo dot.
you need to be a bit more specific, do you mean a timer wired outside of the boiler case (in another room maybe) or the actual timer that can be fitted onto the boiler case under the flap at the bottom?
paulj4830/10/2019 17:26

you need to be a bit more specific, do you mean a timer wired outside of …you need to be a bit more specific, do you mean a timer wired outside of the boiler case (in another room maybe) or the actual timer that can be fitted onto the boiler case under the flap at the bottom?

On that model it’s on the boiler, but it does have the ability to connect another thermostat.
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 30th Oct
cmdr_elito30/10/2019 18:21

On that model it’s on the boiler, but it does have the ability to connect a …On that model it’s on the boiler, but it does have the ability to connect another thermostat.

The boiler timer on that model is optional, if its not fitted a blanking plate is fitted instead and an external timer fitted.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants