Help regarding Contact lenses and best places to look for?

Found 3rd Jun 2009
Hi folks,
I'm newbie to the world of contact lenses as I was wearing specs till now.
I went to opticians and they specified me contact lens and mentioned they are customized. I also enquired in boots as well and asked whether its possible to collect it from other stores if they prescribe contact lens.
Hence, I decided to get opinion and help from community ..
1. opticians say the lenses they provide are customized. But they gave within an hour or so!! Is it correct these lenses are customized or these lens come in default dimensions?
2. Can I buy lens online based on the prescriptions mentioned? or do i need to stick always with the same prescribed optician?
3. hotukdeals.com/ite…-m/
Thanks for this deal and hope this is the best deal still around?

It would be great help if experienced members confirm that: we can buy from online and it would fit correctly

thanks again

15 Comments

you require an eye test to get your contact lense prescription, you can then buy them online (as they tend to be cheaper than in places like specsavers etc) i used visiondirect.co.uk becuase you get 8% quidco too.

If you get contact lenese on-line they usually require you to send a current recent prescription, so there should be no problem getting lenses on-line. However as a newcomer to contact lenses I would be very wary of getting lenses on-line until you are used to wearing them, on-line retailers cannot offer the same level of aftercare.
Are your lenses soft or hard? If you have an unusual prescription then perhaps they will be customised, but lenses can be produced for all eye shapes, sizes and conditions. I think the optician is just trying to get to agree to contract to supply. Ask at a few opticians and get other opinions.
Alternatively, save the monthly contact lens fee and get laser surgery done. I wish I had done years ago!

Depends how you are going to use them - i find i could not wear them everyday so i only use them for going out, doing sports etc, i pay £10 a month and that gets me about 10 pairs a month which is fine for me. this was at my local Opticians. I tried Specsavers but they were a nightmare for me.

You do need to have a trial first to see if you get on with them, i know somebody who cant have them because she cant stand the feeling of having to touch her eye!!!!

Hey

You will need a new prescription (not just your glasses one) as they measure the curve of your eye to ensure you get the correct fit. I had a free trial for my contact lenses and then used the prescription they'd given me (and the details off the lense packet) to order from the internet. I only wear them for nights out or when I want to wear my sun glasses so I bought daily disposables ones, a 3 month supply has lasted me almost 7 months. Sometimes they are harder to use than the ones given to me by the optician so a few have been wasted but other than that i've found it better to use these than buy monthly disposables ones which I will only get 8 uses from before I have to throw them out.

Just make sure that you match the details from your prescription/ lense packet and I am sure you will be fine.

Original Poster

thanks a lot friends, for your replies.
From your advice, I make out
1. First time, I will buy from the Optician. They will fit in as per my eye dimensions and will teach how to wear them comfortably.
2. Will get the prescriptions from them (or else I'll ask them if they dont provide) and next time, I will buy from Online.

and thanks again for advice..
Repped.

getknk;5388868

thanks a lot friends, for your replies.From your advice, I make out1. … thanks a lot friends, for your replies.From your advice, I make out1. First time, I will buy from the Optician. They will fit in as per my eye dimensions and will teach how to wear them comfortably.2. Will get the prescriptions from them (or else I'll ask them if they dont provide) and next time, I will buy from Online. and thanks again for advice..Repped.

once you start wearing contacts your eyesight will probably get worse (due to your eyes becoming used to relying on the lenses) and so the prescription you have now may not be the same in 3/6 months time so you'll need regular check ups to keep your prescription up to date

Cantona_7;5388992

once you start wearing contacts your eyesight will probably get worse … once you start wearing contacts your eyesight will probably get worse (due to your eyes becoming used to relying on the lenses) and so the prescription you have now may not be the same in 3/6 months time so you'll need regular check ups to keep your prescription up to date

See i heard this when i first got contact but i have been wearing them for 5 years now and have only just changed my precription. U like my glasses which changed often.

Try asda my hubby gets his from there, have eye test then u can order on line

BlondeBella;5389018

See i heard this when i first got contact but i have been wearing them … See i heard this when i first got contact but i have been wearing them for 5 years now and have only just changed my precription. U like my glasses which changed often.

I have had mine for about 8 years and changed fairly steadily until i was about 21, since then i have had to change every 18 months or so. I think it depends on the individual but i would expect some sort of change over time from the original prescription.

getknk;5388868

thanks a lot friends, for your replies.From your advice, I make out1. … thanks a lot friends, for your replies.From your advice, I make out1. First time, I will buy from the Optician. They will fit in as per my eye dimensions and will teach how to wear them comfortably.2. Will get the prescriptions from them (or else I'll ask them if they dont provide) and next time, I will buy from Online. and thanks again for advice..Repped.

spot on.

Cantona_7;5389044

I have had mine for about 8 years and changed fairly steadily until i was … I have had mine for about 8 years and changed fairly steadily until i was about 21, since then i have had to change every 18 months or so. I think it depends on the individual but i would expect some sort of change over time from the original prescription.

Depends how often you plan on using them, i live in mine which i shouldnt, no one ever gets to see me with my glasses on, yet i have never had a ny problems with them.

BlondeBella;5389090

Depends how often you plan on using them, i live in mine which i … Depends how often you plan on using them, i live in mine which i shouldnt, no one ever gets to see me with my glasses on, yet i have never had a ny problems with them.

lol yeh i live in mine too, have never owned a pair of specs!

Cantona_7;5389132

lol yeh i live in mine too, have never owned a pair of specs!

i have specs only because my option thinks i wear. i tell them i only waer my contact for about 10 hours a day and about 5 days a week as said on the box:giggle:

BlondeBella;5389199

i have specs only because my option thinks i wear. i tell them i only … i have specs only because my option thinks i wear. i tell them i only waer my contact for about 10 hours a day and about 5 days a week as said on the box:giggle:

mine gives me weekly contact lenses, wear them for the whole week, never take them out, not even for sleeping or if i went swimming, then take them out on say the fri night and put new pair in sat morning, job done

Cantona_7;5389241

mine gives me weekly contact lenses, wear them for the whole week, never … mine gives me weekly contact lenses, wear them for the whole week, never take them out, not even for sleeping or if i went swimming, then take them out on say the fri night and put new pair in sat morning, job done

i have monthly ones but if i dont take them out at night or when i accidently fall a sleep they stick to my eyes:oops: But i would trade them. I look horrible with my spes on
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Without giving away your age, name three things that remind you of when you…4074
    2. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19247616
    3. Limited quantities of STRAFE® and SHADOW WARRIOR 2 for sale @ Special Reser…46
    4. Smacking children is to be banned in Scotland3275

See more discussions