Groups

HELP: Remote assistance poss between 2 x Dells with Vista Home Premium?

Any techies know if it is possible to use remote assistance between Dell computers with Vista Home Premium. It seesm that this version of vista doesn't support it officially but online I've seen people say it does. I'd like to help my father with his computer issues remotely when needed.

I think I saw this option once in Dell Support but cannot find it despite searching all the tabes etc.

Any help appreciated.

17 Comments

think you will have to use something like realvnc (free) tightvnc (free) or normal vnc (some versions free), think there is a free web based version but cant think of the name of that one.

you will get problems with these though is you have UAC turned on.

Original Poster

great, thanks fox11. I'll check these out and remember to turn off UAC if I go for one of them.

Thanks again, rep added.

anybody else have any other ideas?

To quote from a website

Remote Assistance is included in the home versions. Remote Desktop is not because it does not require someone in front of the computer to accept the connection while Remote Assistance does limiting its usage to troubleshooting.

If you want remote desktop, go for the free version of logmein at [url]www.logmein.com[/url] a brilliant industrial quality program. All you need to sign up is an email address, no Credit card or anything.

Depends on what you want to do, networking over a wireless network or what?

Best of luck,

Nick

Original Poster

nickmoul;1425331

If you want remote desktop, go for the free version of logmein at … If you want remote desktop, go for the free version of logmein at [url]www.logmein.com[/url] a brilliant industrial quality program. All you need to sign up is an email address, no Credit card or anything.Depends on what you want to do, networking over a wireless network or what?

many thanks Nick. Yes, I want to be able to resolve probs on my father's computer for him when they arise (and they do quite often for him...). Until now I've been spending long hours on the telephone but could do the same things remotely in minutes. We are both using BT home wireless networks. Will logmein work in these circumstances?

missingremote.com/ind…152

Is the link to get it working using built in software. At your own risk, best of luck.

Nick

Original Poster

Thanks again Nick. Actually, I did come across this site on my searches this morning but wasn't sure of it because of all the warnings etc. Have you actually used it and has it worked well without other issues?

I use Logme in for about 4 PC's in the family. Its free and very easy to use. I have never had any problems with it. :thumbsup:

Original Poster

the-jackal;1425389

I use Logme in for about 4 PC's in the family. Its free and very easy to … I use Logme in for about 4 PC's in the family. Its free and very easy to use. I have never had any problems with it. :thumbsup:

Thanks the-jackal. That's what I needed to hear. Rep added to you too!

Banned

I'll put my vote in for logmein too. I seem to spend more time linked to my Mums PC fixing the mess she gets into than I do on my own pc

Original Poster

One further question: I've just downloaded and set up LogMeIn on my computer. Before I ring my Dad, what does he need to do? Does he need to download and use my password etc so as to join my account, or does he need to set up a separate account and then he invites me to help him (or something like that?). Thanks.

Liddle ol' me;1425438

One further question: I've just downloaded and set up LogMeIn on my … One further question: I've just downloaded and set up LogMeIn on my computer. Before I ring my Dad, what does he need to do? Does he need to download and use my password etc so as to join my account, or does he need to set up a separate account and then he invites me to help him (or something like that?). Thanks.

if I remember correctly, he should first of all log in as you and downlosd the app onto his pc then you can add his pc to your "network". this is a one time only action.

Then all he needs to do is turn on "logmein" from the taskbar icon, tehn when you login to "logmein" on your pc, you will see his pc as active or something like that, you can then take control of his desktop from there.

Hope this makes sense as its sometime since I have used logmein to sort out my dads laptop

EliTom

logmein was great but I think it's time limited now unless you pay for it - what I particularly like about it is that it doesn't need any router configuration (port forwarding) and it worked well over wan connection. To use it, I usually created a user account - asked the person to log in with the account and add their PC then I'd log into the account and select the PC they had just added. Possibly a better way to do it but I just went with what worked.

VNC works well for remote control as you can get a client for just about anything however I think it's much better suited to local networks - to work over wan connections (such adsl) it needs to have port forwarding configured on the router and doesn't cope with the higher latency so well.

John

Original Poster

Thanks for all help guys - heat spread round - in the meantime I've managed to get Vista Premium's regual remote assistance to work! Didn't need to change any settings, just went through the steps found in 'Help and Support' in Vista. Thanks again for all Logmein advice, but redundant now (and I've just spent 2+ hours remotely fixing issues on my Dad's computer... ALL THE BEST - PM me if anyone needs info on doing it the vista way if you have Home Premium installed.

I use logme in and it's spot on

Banned

BTW logmein free edition is NOT time limited at all.

Which version is the free one? There is no logmein free listed as a product on their site, it used to be just free and pro but there's many more now.

John
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. How dangerous is Donald trump?31141
      2. Find out how good your GP surgery is55
      3. Microsoft Gamescom - Possibly more free games / Project Scorpio711
      4. The HUKD Student Discount code sharing thread (most codes on Unidays are si…6541246

See more discussions