Groups

Help removing nail varnish from carpet

As above really does anyone know how I can remove nail varnish (silver) from my cream carpet. Please

Thanks in advance.

Charlotte xx

15 Comments

erm, do what i did, cut it out and stick a rug over it!

nono2522;2226741

erm, do what i did, cut it out and stick a rug over it!

lol

Yeh then again if its quite a thick pile carpet maybe you could cut it off and it wouldn't be too noticeable.
    Yeh cream carpet no no for me,I've just talked someone out of buying a white carpet other wk.Told him get something mid- dark and def patterned.

I have nightmares about cream carpets, we got lamenate flooring put down when i had my son, best move EVER! although its quite cold, the amount of food, drink, paint, crayons, wees and poos, etc etc i would have had to replace a carpet a million times by now, and the little mans only 3!

Being as it's a light colour I would try nail varnish remover, let us know how you get on

nono2522;2226832

I have nightmares about cream carpets, we got lamenate flooring put down … I have nightmares about cream carpets, we got lamenate flooring put down when i had my son, best move EVER! although its quite cold, the amount of food, drink, paint, crayons, wees and poos, etc etc i would have had to replace a carpet a million times by now, and the little mans only 3!

Yes we found out that 1st time round,by time 2nd one was old enough to make mess,we had laminated flooring down in living room,then had it done later in their bedroom,also good for excema to get rid of as much carpet as possible.

Some yrs back now,we had a rented flat and it had a cream carpet,one day I tripped up and I had a bowl of chocolate cornflakes and there was chocolate milk stain on carpet,wouldn't come out. I covered it over with a rug cos the landlord used to pop by frequently,usually every Saturday he would knock by. This flat we rented from him was actually 1 he used to stay in himself.
    Anyway we had to move out cos he wanted it back and on the day of moving I had just a few small boxes left to go,and we stuck them down on the stain,while getting our £200 deposit back.

Paint over it with a shade to match your carpet.

We are lucky that just before we moved we managed to bag some huega contract carpet tiles that should have been £8 each, enough to do the entire house for £110 for 400 tiles (we had to guestimate as we wasnt sure of exactly where we was moving) so £3200's worth, they had been laid for a month in a office block then the company went bust, and we happened to get talking to the guy who had the job of clearing the offices.
    Top bargain we where left with over 100 (enough to do lounge and dining room) so we have plenty of spares for mishaps which is handy with a combination of three kids (2-7) two dogs and a coal fire. Get a stain -replace. Burn with hot ashes - replace. Would never go back to fitted carpets (except stairs) again, too much hassle in case of accidents.

have a read ]here good luck

Isopropyl Alcohol, works wonders usually a couple of quid from chemists.

My sister shook her nail varnish with lid loose..... did the sofa the floors you name it :roll:

Tried everything... got some isopropyl Alcohol and came up like a good-un.

Sponge off with soapy water, us the IA as a spot cleaner don't pour it on.

Wear gloves dont drink and try not breath it in too much (smoking around it is a no no aswell)

As per any cleaning try on an out of site area first just incase it melts your carpet (very very very unlikely) but you never know :thumbsup:

Even works when dried solid, I eventually did it with IA after I tried everything else and that was 3 months after spill!

Original Poster

Thanks to you all, I will try when I finish work, I will leave you all rep later today. Back to the grindstone for me.

I am gutted as we only finished decorating the room on thursday and were so careful not to get paint on the carpet and then saturday in my rush to get to my friends wedding I dropped the bottle and didnt have time to do anything about it as I would have missed the wedding

if all the above do not work, go round the carpet leaving identical sized blotches of the same coloured nail varnish and give your carpet that "designer" look. you could also use different coloured nail varnishes to liven up the look!

have you got accidental damage cover on your insurance?

Original Poster

used nail varnish remover in the corner of the room, and it turned the carpet pink. Like your idea papa smurf hehe, off to the chemist tomorrow going to try isopropyl alcohol. left you all rep

Let us know if it comes out?
    Was it quite an expensive carpet or cheap one? If cheap one I would replace if it's bothering you.

Whatever you attempt to use, never rub too hard even if you get the stain out you will leave a friction mark.

Gentle dabs and lots of persistance.

If you do get the Isopropyl Alcohol dab it on like a spot remover, it will take a couple of goes, I found by dribbling a couple of drops on the dried varnish, leave for a few mins, dab, go again then add more IA to a cloth (REMEMBER TO USE A NEUTRAL COLOURED CLOTH YOU DONT WANT A CLOTH/RAG THAT IS GOING TO BLEED!) then just keep patting and lightly rubbing, also gentle agitating with an old toothbrush on the harder bits, make sure if you use a carpet brush or toothbrush that you alternate the angle you go at or once again you will leave friction marks on the areas.

Good Luck ! :thumbsup:
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. BT FIBRE EXISTING CUSTOMER810
      2. CAR QUESTION: Difference Between Lexus IS300 and Lexus IS300h?48
      3. Best laptop for a budget of £700?11
      4. Free EE data (contract)11

See more discussions