Help required with purchasing a tablet (not sure which one to go for)

Posted 28th May
I have a couple of John Lewis vouchers that need using before they expire. I was hoping maybe getting a tablet though haven't got a clue which one to get.

I was also looking recently at the Microsoft Surface Go 2 £399 at John Lewis though there appear to be some issues that need clarifying from what I've have been reading.

One of the issues with the one at John Lewis is that it doesn't come with keyboard and mouse as with the Amazon deal posted on HUKD a couple of weeks ago.

The others are:

The Surface Go 2 comes with Windows 10 Home in S mode, which it appears restricts the installation of apps to those from the Microsoft Store for greater security. You can turn off S mode though can't be reversed from what I've read.

The S mode also blocks the installation of programs such as Chrome, WhatsApp desktop and Signal. Don't need Signal though. Maybe no big deal with not being able to install Chrome as I can always use a different browser if I need to. I do need WhatsApp though as we use this for keeping in touch with friends and family.

I also understand that there are more powerful processors in other tablets too.

Should I be worried about all this techie stuff and just go for the Surface Go 2. What do people think? Or are there better equivalents and can anyone recommend anything, preferably from John Lewis?

TIA
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
I pad? As much as I hate apple nothing comes close to an ipad
9 Comments
Do you actually need a tablet? Else sell the vouchers on Gumtree or eBay. John Lewis vouchers have a very good demand generally.
bozo00728/05/2020 13:47

Do you actually need a tablet? Else sell the vouchers on Gumtree or eBay. …Do you actually need a tablet? Else sell the vouchers on Gumtree or eBay. John Lewis vouchers have a very good demand generally.

There actually gift cards not vouchers, my mistake. The only thing is I have two and can't remember the value of one from other. I know one is for £200, just can't remember which one. Need to find out somehow.
LemonHead28/05/2020 14:22

There actually gift cards not vouchers, my mistake. The only thing is I …There actually gift cards not vouchers, my mistake. The only thing is I have two and can't remember the value of one from other. I know one is for £200, just can't remember which one. Need to find out somehow.

Yep, still the same suggestion applies.
Denney_Masters28/05/2020 14:58

WHEN IT COMES TO TABLETS, GO APPLE OR GO HOME
Surface products are always overpriced for what they are, since you are spending £400 I'd say look for an alternative. I would choose Surface over iPad anytime because the former is a full PC, but you could probably spend money better.

Alternatively, resale is an option for the gift cards. Instead, you could purchase items from JL with high resale value (one time Apple actually comes in useful, otherwise Nintendo products) and sell them on.
Which OS do you want?
Android?
IOS?
Windows?
Cisco06060629/05/2020 14:14

Which OS do you want?Android?IOS?Windows?

I'm currently using Android, so yeah would be happy to continue with using that.
Edited by: "LemonHead" 29th May
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants