Groups

Help required with Travelling with an Acoustic Guitar

Hi,

I dont know whether this is the right place to ask - hopefully someone will be able to provide some insight.

I am flying with emirates in about 2 weeks time. I'm flying to Nairobi, connecting in Dubai. I want to carry my acoustic guitar with me so I decided to give the guys at the Emirates London office a ring and to my surprise the guy on the phone told me I wouldn't be able to take my guitar onboard unless I bought another whole seat for the guitar (rather pricey to transport an acoustic). He says I would have to check it in as hold baggage and I'm kind of worried my guitar will get wrecked if I do that.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can go about carrying a guitar on flight and if I do have to check it in to hold baggage, how I can make sure it arrives with the neck still on!!

Thanks in advance,

Chada

9 Comments

I take it you have a hard case for it?

If so, why don't you put packing/bubble wrap all round it - should work.

Have you got a hardshell travel case for it?
    Some tips ]here

Original Poster

Cheers for the quick reply guys.

One of the main problems I have is that I just bought the guitar and so dont have a hard case for it. If you guys know of any reasonably priced ones in about a weeks time I'd be grateful for some links. The problem is that most places I've had a look at say that they're either out of stock or take more than a week to deliver.

@goonieman - thanks for the link.

I'm going to call emirates up again and see if I can check it in at the gate. Lets see what they say.

Cheers,

Chada

I've actually got a hard case, with a Tanglewood acoustic inside it. Only really interested in selling them as a unit however.

Original Poster

moob;5424453

I've actually got a hard case, with a Tanglewood acoustic inside it. Only … I've actually got a hard case, with a Tanglewood acoustic inside it. Only really interested in selling them as a unit however.

Sorry mate - just bought a new Yamaha. I might have taken you up on that offer a week back.

Darn - Talked to Emirates and they said they wont even let me check it in at the gate with the baby strollers and stuff - stingy *****

chada;5424522

Sorry mate - just bought a new Yamaha. I might have taken you up on that … Sorry mate - just bought a new Yamaha. I might have taken you up on that offer a week back.Darn - Talked to Emirates and they said they wont even let me check it in at the gate with the baby strollers and stuff - stingy *****

Surely there must be a music shop locally with a hardcase in stock.

You can carry it onboard or put it in as FRAGILE, you also have to take the strings off

Original Poster

Thanks for your help guys

Im going hard case hunting tomorrow - hopefully I should be able to find one somewheere.

Anyways thanks for the tips.

Cheers,

Chada

Unless you've any specific need to take this guitar rather than just any instrument, I'd seriously consider leaving the Yamaha at home and taking a small travel guitar with you. There's various travel guitars on the market. It's a Washburn, I know, but ]this might be alright. Out of its case, de-stringed and wrapped in bubblewrap and I don't see any reason for them not to call it hand luggage. It'll be a good deal easier to get around with than a full-size acoustic, too.

Ehatever you do, something important that I read in a guitar mag a while back is that you must travel with the receipt. Otherwise, there's a chance that customs will sting you for duty on the guitar.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Easy Jet flights - does anyone know how far in advance seats are sold?57
      2. So Brexit isn't going how a lot of Brexiters thought it would711
      3. Player Unknown's Battlegrounds now avaliable on Steam88
      4. Buying an iPhone second hand11

See more discussions