Help!! Run 2 screens/windows using MacBook Pro 2012

Posted 30th Oct
I am hoping people can help with advising me how I can view 2 screens using an old 2012 MacBook Pro.

I need to it as I’m going to be doing some work and ideally need to see 2 pages at once.

Is the cheapest way having a separate monitor? Use the TV I already have? Is there certain cables I would need?

I am not very tech savvy so help would be great fully appreciated.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

7 Comments
Yes then all u would need to buy is a mini displayport to hdmi adapter, only a couple of pound I paid for mine and a hdmi cable
dixin12330/10/2019 22:58

Yes then all u would need to buy is a mini displayport to hdmi adapter, …Yes then all u would need to buy is a mini displayport to hdmi adapter, only a couple of pound I paid for mine and a hdmi cable

Thank you for your reply. Will I need a thunderbolt to HDMI one, plus a HDMI cable?
Thanks
amazon.co.uk/s?k…_12

one of these

take your pick and yes a hdmi provided your tv accepts hdmi
There are multiple models that were sold in 2012 and they vary in which video output options they have so you'll need to narrow down exactly which model you have. That could be a model number starting with an A like A1425 or a two numbers seperated by a comma like 9,1 or 10,2.

Also, some of the early DisplayPort equipped models couldn't use passive adapters like the ones dixin linked, but support for the required dual mode was pretty common by 2012.
EndlessWaves30/10/2019 23:26

There are multiple models that were sold in 2012 and they vary in which …There are multiple models that were sold in 2012 and they vary in which video output options they have so you'll need to narrow down exactly which model you have. That could be a model number starting with an A like A1425 or a two numbers seperated by a comma like 9,1 or 10,2. Also, some of the early DisplayPort equipped models couldn't use passive adapters like the ones dixin linked, but support for the required dual mode was pretty common by 2012.

Will find out exactly and post in the morning. I am pretty certain it was the last model before the Retina display models which came next
I would go straight to the tv using this cable amazon.co.uk/Ran…Z72
Edited by: "Freddy_uk" 31st Oct
My 2008 MacBook has a DisplayPort without audio, and my 2011 MacBook Air supports it with audio.

You should be ok.

The only point to mention is your MacBook output might be limited to a 2k like my 2011 Mac mini.

Also some of the cables and adapters on amazon are limited to 1080p so make sure you get the best one for you.

Getting a cheap 2k or 4K widescreen monitor might be the better option.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants