Help: Samsung UE55MU6470 4k tv

Found 7th Nov 2017
I’m struggling to find decent review for this particular tv.

Has anyone ever experienced or bought this tv and what are your views on it?

Thanks,

Liam
Community Updates
Ask
9 Comments
After I’ve had 3 Samsung’s break in the last 8 years I’d say swerve them personally.
Original Poster
Annoyingly it is apparently different to the standard 6400 (going from memory I think it was something to do with the backlight and the remote).
Thinking about it now though, it’s also very similar to the 6400 so a review of that would give me a very good idea...thanks
Leeham10 m ago

Annoyingly it is apparently different to the standard 6400 (going from …Annoyingly it is apparently different to the standard 6400 (going from memory I think it was something to do with the backlight and the remote).Thinking about it now though, it’s also very similar to the 6400 so a review of that would give me a very good idea...thanks

You are welcome. The thread is about the series in general and you can see #49 refering that the 6470 has freesat and appears to be a Currys specific model which explains the lack of reviews. You will find this more and more often these days with retailer specific models, another way a "price guarantee" will never pay out
Hopefully you might see Endlesswaves commenting, the resident telly advice expert (buttering up as looking around at telly's this month also myself lol)
Edited by: "cecilmcroberts" 7th Nov 2017
Original Poster
I spotted that comment - they seemed rather pleased that’s the 6470 - I’ll have to take a closer look
Leeham13 h, 39 m ago

Annoyingly it is apparently different to the standard 6400 (going from …Annoyingly it is apparently different to the standard 6400 (going from memory I think it was something to do with the backlight and the remote).

I'd be surprised if the backlight was any difference, variations of the last two numbers are generally just features (and thing like the colour of the case) rather than fundamental changes in image quality or performance. For example last year the KU6470 added the smart remote and voice recognition, although I haven't looked in detail for this year's MU equivalent.

The main way it differs from what you'd expect is that Samsung have gone for an IPS panel this year which is unusual for them. Generally the trade-off against their normal VA panel is less drop off in picture quality when viewed from an angle but less contrast to begin with.

If you're not feeding it any HDR sources then consider the MU6100 et al instead as they are using Samsung's normal VA panel.

Current the MU6470 is at £800 which is fairly expensive at this time of year, I'd want to pay ~£600 for it.
Original Poster
So difference from what I can see is that the 6470 comes with the smart remote and has Supreme UHD dimming compared to the standard UHD dimming found in 6400.

Haven’t seen these two side by side to really see a difference so I’ll have another google to better understand what it means to have Supreme UHD dimming.
Original Poster
Deleted my previous comment as it was misleading.

I’ve spoken to Samsung on the phone who confirmed the above (uhd dimming vs suhd dimming) but were utterly useless when it came to explaining what difference that made (and I asked both the sales and technical team).

If anyone can shed any light on this suhd marketing term and what difference it actually makes then I am all ears.

In end I’m thinking of trying to bag the LG 55 SJ850v during Black Friday as it’s all round decent from the reviews I’ve read and good input lag for gaming for the price you can pay.
Edited by: "Leeham" 8th Nov 2017
'UHD Dimming' is part of Samsung's software processing, something related to their dynamic contrast function. It's not related to backlight local dimming, which Samsung's marketing department generally categorises under 'perfect black'.

I couldn't tell you the difference between the two but I wouldn't expect it to be large.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions