Help - Scart problem on a new HDTV

Found 9th Oct 2011
I'm usually pretty technical, but I've just got my first HDTV and am having trouble connecting anything to it via scart and I'm not sure if the TV is faulty or if I'm missing something really obvious.

The TV is a Samsung LE46C750. I've got an Xbox 360 and a PS3 connected via HDMI and the picture is fantastic, so the TV is obviously working well.

But I've also got a PS2 and a Wii connected via scart and the picture on both of them is coming out in black and white and sort of flickering/wobbling horizontally. Each console is using the standard cables that came with them - so the yellow video, red/white audio composite cables connected to a scart adapter. I've tried both consoles in both scart sockets, plus the yellow video cable straight into the AV socket on the side. I've also tried my PS3 with its composite cable, and even dug out my old VCR, but the picture looks the same with both of those as well.

Am I missing something really obvious, like a connection/display setting somewhere? Or does it sound like the TV is at fault, not being able to handle any analog inputs?

[image missing]<br/>

Community Updates
MiscMovie & SeriesHD TV
13 Comments
This is what it looks like:
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h253/reddragon105/LE46C750ScartIssue.jpg
Does sound like a faulty TV.

Just had a look at my Samsung LE46C530 and can't find any settings that would cause your problem.

When you connected your VCR did you use a normal scart lead ?
Would check the scart adapter (if you are using that with all your cables) as sometimes they are only wired for Video output and you want Video input.
I'm usually pretty technical but I use a scart oO Buy some HDMI leads !
ryman1000

For a ps2?

But you should really get a component cable for your Wii, they're pretty cheap
Have you checked the modes in the settings - long shot - RGB and YCBCR might need need switching.
Did you change any settings other than doing a channel scan before you connected up your stuff?
Silentone

Does sound like a faulty TV.Just had a look at my Samsung LE46C530 and … Does sound like a faulty TV.Just had a look at my Samsung LE46C530 and can't find any settings that would cause your problem.When you connected your VCR did you use a normal scart lead ?

Thanks - my friend has a LE40C550 and he checked for me too - he's got a VCR connected by scart that's working fine. I didn't use a normal scart lead though - it was a composite cable with a scart adapter on each end, but I figured that was a fair test as a composite cable with a scart adapter is all I have for each console.

ukmonkey

First thing i would do is try the scart in another tv, make sure it's … First thing i would do is try the scart in another tv, make sure it's working, looks like a faulty scart lead to me.

I don't have another TV, unfortunately. My last CRT TV died a while ago, I've just been using a 26" PC monitor with a PS3 in the living room, watching stuff from disk, my media server or using iPlayer.

dcx_badass

Not a faulty lead as each thing they tried users it's own.

Silentone

Would check the scart adapter (if you are using that with all your … Would check the scart adapter (if you are using that with all your cables) as sometimes they are only wired for Video output and you want Video input.

I've got a total of 3 scart adapters. There's the one that came with the PS2, one that came with the Wii, and a spare one that takes composite and S-video and has an input/output switch on it that I use to get a signal out of my VCR when I connect it to my PC to digitise VHS tapes. Then there's four composite video cables - one each for the PS2, PS3 and Wii, then my spare composite-to-composite cable that I used to test the VCR. I've tried all possible combinations of cables and adapters on all three inputs on the TV.

ryman1000

Yeah, I'm pretty technical. I work with video and audio recording equipment (i.e. cameras and mics) on a daily basis. I can set up a TV easily. I can set up four games consoles easily. I'm technical enough to hack my NAS drive to install a media server on it so I can watch videos from my NAS drive on any capable device in the house. I'm technical enough to build PCs from scratch. I'm also technical enough to know that neither PS2s nor Wiis have HDMI outputs - and I'm not technical enough to make one that does. To connect either of those consoles by HDMI I'd need an analog-to-digital converter, but that would be pointless considering the TV is supposed to do that job for me. I've already connected everything that's HDMI capable (Xbox 360 and PS3) by HDMI.

sancho1983

But you should really get a component cable for your Wii, they're pretty … But you should really get a component cable for your Wii, they're pretty cheap

Yes, I know, I've already ordered one. I could also get a component cable for my PS2, but there's only one component input so I'd need a switcher to connect both of them that way. So the plan is to connect the Wii by component and the PS2 by scart, so I still need to solve this problem...

tvfan

Have you checked the modes in the settings - long shot - RGB and YCBCR … Have you checked the modes in the settings - long shot - RGB and YCBCR might need need switching.

I have checked and tried all the output settings on the PS2 and Wii, and the display settings on the TV. I've tried changing everything that might be relevant (and a few things that aren't!) and it's made no difference. The manual suggests that if a composite signal is displayed in black and white you should try connecting the composite cable to the component input. I tried that and it was still in black and white, albeit without the flickering.

Ungreat

Did you change any settings other than doing a channel scan before you … Did you change any settings other than doing a channel scan before you connected up your stuff?

No. And I've since done a firmware update, which reset all the settings.
have you tried unplugging everything else, other than the scart to see if it works ok when pluged in on it's own.
It turned out it was a loose connection. At some point I noticing that, when pushing a scart cable into the back of the TV, the picture would come on perfectly for a split second before going to black and white/flickering. If I pressed in on the scart cable it would come on fine. After wiggling the cable around a bit I've got it to stay on, although it does occasionally go back to black and white. I've since bought a component cable for the Wii, so it's only an issue for the PS2 now as that's the only analogue thing I'll be using. If the picture doesn't stay on properly then I'll have to send it back (it's under warranty and everything), I'd just rather not have the hassle. It's working okay at the moment, so fingers crossed it stays like this.
uh, that's ugly... twitight zone and you get bad NTSC signal lol
sid_maister

uh, that's ugly... twitight zone and you get bad NTSC signal lol

What a random bump
The SCART connector first appeared on TVs in 1977. It became compulsory on new TVs sold in France from January 1980,[3][4] and since 1989/1990 in Eastern Europe, such as Poland.

Before SCART was introduced, TVs did not offer a standardised way of inputting signals other than RF antenna connectors, and these differed between countries. Assuming other connectors even existed, devices made by various companies could have different and incompatible standards. For example, a domestic VCR could output a composite video signal through a German-originated DIN-style connector, an American-originated RCA connector, an SO239 connector or a BNC connector.

Interesting stuff

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants