Help ! Scottish Power :-(

Found 2nd Jun 2015
Big problem with Scottish Power . I received an estimated bill at the end of May . The bill was for £311 . I rang them up stating I don't normally get estimated bill and gave them actual meter readings . Three days later I received a new bill for £353 which was promptly paid . This morning I have received a new bill for £994 . Their adamant I've used this amount of electricity in a small space of time .
Who can I contact in order to get my statements checked ? I have kept previous statements and meter readings . This has never happened before having been in the property for 23 years .
Community Updates
Ask
24 Comments
If you have been incorrectly billed they can only charge you for one year back.
I moved to british gas and kept giving readings but go no bills after 20 months i got a bill and complained again and got the first 12 months written off.Some rule but dont know what its called sorry.
Original Poster
Thanks for your replys . I have not used this amount of electricity , unless they have been undercharging me over the years .Got to get this sorted ASAP.
They are adamant you have used £994 of energy since the end of may?

Post your last paid bill readings and the one on your latest bill

I assume you have done the obvious and double checked the latest readings with your actual meters......
Original Poster
On the latest statement they've went back from Jan 2014 up to May 2015. I don't understand the readings as I have 2 , one for night [economy 7] and the other for day. Some readings stating INSTALLED , some REMOVED , some ACTUAL .
I've never actually worked out the readings , like most people , if it looks right I have payed it . Looks like it's back fired on me this time .Never had any problems in 23 years .
ricko

On the latest statement they've went back from Jan 2014 up to May 2015. … On the latest statement they've went back from Jan 2014 up to May 2015. I don't understand the readings as I have 2 , one for night [economy 7] and the other for day. Some readings stating INSTALLED , some REMOVED , some ACTUAL . I've never actually worked out the readings , like most people , if it looks right I have payed it . Looks like it's back fired on me this time .Never had any problems in 23 years .

Did you confuse the two readings and give a night rate for the day rate? Take the model number of your meter, google it and look up the instructions for reading it. At least then you can be sure they have the correct/incorrect readings.
find the last bill where it was an actual reading and not customer or estimate. find out your latest reading and use link below to work out the exact cost. then work out what you paid them since that last bill where it was up to date and subtract it from the cost given by UK power. see what the difference is, if in your favour ring them tell them you used a online calculator.

ukpower.co.uk/tools
is your neighbour stealing your electricity for growing weed?
Original Poster
No, I have given them the right meter readings .On there latest statement :
day charge 1st april 14 7956
day charge 29th may 14 33636
night charge 1st april 14 33636
day charge 22 july 14 36314

today's reading
night charge 2nd jun 15 42447
day charge 2nd june 15 9965

there is definitely a mistake with their calculations and I dont know how it's happened . They seem to be blaming the meter .
One of the worst Utility Company's to deal with. I was compensated due to extremely poor customer service.
Report them. They have been fined in the past.
ricko

No, I have given them the right meter readings .On there latest statement … No, I have given them the right meter readings .On there latest statement :day charge 1st april 14 7956day charge 29th may 14 33636night charge 1st april 14 33636day charge 22 july 14 36314 today's reading night charge 2nd jun 15 42447day charge 2nd june 15 9965there is definitely a mistake with their calculations and I dont know how it's happened . They seem to be blaming the meter .

Thats per unit which is kwh right?
Seems high usage, I mean between 29th may and 22 july you used 2678 units which is 44 units per on day (£7+).
Its like having two kettles running 24/7 in summer.

Also I think you've mixed up your readings if those are correct between April and May 2014 you used 25680 units
I have got same experience . After moved with British gas I have paid Scottish power all their money now in May they asking 59.74 and administration costs £20.91.
joedastudd

Thats per unit which is kwh right?Seems high usage, I mean between 29th … Thats per unit which is kwh right?Seems high usage, I mean between 29th may and 22 july you used 2678 units which is 44 units per on day (£7+).Its like having two kettles running 24/7 in summer.Also I think you've mixed up your readings if those are correct between April and May 2014 you used 25680 units

your readings seem to he incorrect you use the same reading for a day and night meter and you don't think it would be physically possible to use so much electricity in 2 month period of around 27000kwhs that seeks to be the problem between April and may 2014 the rest seem a bit high but nothing too out of the ordinary it could have been some neighbours growing stuff somewhere wierd through your meter last year or a faulty meter either way u should dispute it and they will have to take 2 fresh readings between to certain dates and then will have to bill you like that but Scottish power are like getting blood out of a stonr
Original Poster
No ,those readings were taken from the latest statement. They have mixed up the readings between night and day .
I have never used the amount of units they tell me I've used . I'm well aware of what I use , I've been using one of those usage meter's for years so I know what comes on and when . I'm at my wits end as I don't know how to deal with the situation .I want it sorted quickly , but I've been told it can take time . Scottish Power have given it a week to monitor meter readings and Citizen's Advice have just said I need to write them a letter giving the company 14 days to reply.
I know this sort of thing happens but it's always to someone else .You never think it will happen to you .
looking at your. readings it seems the day reading there has been a mistake I think your readings are more like correct of 1st April 2014 of 7956 and 2nd June 2015 9965 the reading of 33636 on 14 July 2014 seems wrong. and your night readings are 33636 and current 42447 still high for average user this makes around 10000+ Still very high get more current readings and see if the meters going like the clappers call the police someone will be stealing your leccy or do u use lots of electricity like Heating or grow lamps your self
I'm not sure about your meter maybe we to doesnt show the electric units in kwhs or somehow they have put in a dodgy meter seems more like a gas kwh usage to me anyway feel sorry for you it will take some time but don't worry too much about it
bloody auto complete meant too say I'm not sure about your meter wether it displays each unit in kwh hours or not or it could just be there are some dicimel points in it and instead of around 10000kwh usage it's more like 1000kwh are you quite a low user and that error of 33636 is the cause from last year's day reading.
Scottish power ripped me off as well, never ever use them again, they over charged me even though I gave them the readings and the meter reader came round and read them, each bill they send the amount seems to go up! Even though I had already switched with another provider. Rubbish company, same with Npower never use them as well! When they owe you money they take forever to refund, unlike when the money is owed they won't get off your back.
to give you an idea, our house 4 adults, tv each room, loads of cuppa teas, electric oven, electric shower, pc on all time, i am at home all day night we pay £384 a year. so your bill is wrong somewhere.
it will take time to resolve meter reading issues. find the last bill you have with actual readings, ignore your readings which may be wrong.

then calculate cost based on actual reading this time against that last bill.

if you think the result is too high then write to Scottish power and raise issue. best write in as people manning the phone have limited knowledge and time to deal with issues
We have had big problems with Scottsh Power. In March I tried to put in our meter readings (on line) and the reading from the last reading had been changed to 9876 when our current reading is still under 2000. We have been fighting with them over this ever since and it was on the news recently that they had had a major blip with their computing system and there are a lot of customers affected. We have had no help from Scottish power at all - even lying to us that they had changed our meter!!! We had contact with the Ombudsman and they have taken on the case. The Ombudsman can't help you until you have tried to contact Scottish Power to fix this yourselves, but after (I think) 8'weeks they may take up your fight for you. Best of luck!
Original Poster
Thanks for the reply's. Still deeply concerned about my situation . Looking at one of the statements , they recon I've used over £1700 of electric . I pay them around £888. per year . I'm all electric , no gas . There convinced I got a new meter fitted last year . It was fitted in either 1998 or 1999 and they should know that .
Like I say , I have never been in a position like this . Always pay my bills on time and don't owe anyone any money .................except the BBC ................I haven't paid my license fee for 2 years .......out of principle .

So, it seems to be payback time !

I really don't know what to do next , Citizens Advice weren't really much help but then again I don't know what I was expecting them to do . I've heard of things happening like this and court orders , ballifs have been involved , hope it wont get to that stage .
I have dealt with these conmen they used to charge us around 200 + gas and electric every month and were sending bills every 3 months when its near 1000
Since i moved in new property with pay as u go electric cost no more than 50 a month on pay as u go and nearly everythin run on electric
Original Poster
I'm now not bothering about the whole situation . I chatted to my neighbor yesterday who looked at the bills . He says they have made a mistake ,then corrected it but says I shouldn't have to pay the £994 even though there is a payment slip .I'm not going to lose any sleep over it .
I've just found out today the same thing has happened to a couple with a holiday let in town . They have received a very high bill even though the property has only been let once this year so far .
Maybe a computer glitch ! who knows . One thing though I wont be trusting Scottish Power again.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants