Found 9th May 2011
Can anyone give me some advice?
what exactly is the job of the eastate agent? do they simply just put your house for sale in the branch. paper web then just leave it or are they supposed to work at selling your home??
my home has been up for 4 months no calls no letters no veiwings...
is this normal or should i change agents?
Thanks
Ellie

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
22 Comments

No it's not normal to have nothing happen for four months!!

oO oO OMG, can of worms just expoded....!!

Edited by: "iglimpse" 9th May 2011

Banned

don`t sign a contract with them so your stitched into x number of weeks with one agent, I signed a hand written letter to state if they sold my property I would pay the agreed fees..

Original Poster

i just need to put in writing if i want to leave my current agent.

If your house has been on the market for 4 months with no interest or viewings, have you considered that it may be overpriced? As with anything, price it correctly and people will be interested. Is your house on Rightmove? If it’s not on there, you could be missing out on a whole market of potential buyers.

Like above poster mentioned i guess its more to do with price. You have a few agents round and go with the one who says its worth the most, agents do that because they want you on their books.You are then priced out of the market and no one even bothers looking. If you are just above a stamp duty threshold that goes against you too (i.e) £125k stamp duty people are not going to buy a house for £130 as not only is there the extra £5k but also the stamp duty to pay.

We have had a few dealings with a certain estate agent and he said he tells people truthfully what they'll get they then don't go with him usually, however he said after a few months they come back to him and reduce the price of their house.

Banned

Try speaking to them

Im having the same problem House up for £135,000 but nothinh in 2 months,!!

We are want to sell to go to Oz, but we are also tied in our morgage until sept 2012 otherwise have to pay £2550 redemption fee....BAD !!....so less money to take with us if we drop it to £125,000

So i think we will hold out a while then reduce and hope we sell septemeber time.....all waiting !! am used to it ...its took my 2 yrs to get my visa for OZ...sure another yr wont kill me

Does sound like asking price might be an issue - did u have more than one valuation? Maybe worth looking on rightmove under sold prices to get an idea of what similar properties have sold for (u can do it by postcode), either way I would change agents as they either have deliberately overvalued it to get on it their books or they are just lazy.

lindseyanndavis

Im having the same problem House up for £135,000 but nothinh in 2 … Im having the same problem House up for £135,000 but nothinh in 2 months,!!We are want to sell to go to Oz, but we are also tied in our morgage until sept 2012 otherwise have to pay £2550 redemption fee....BAD !!....so less money to take with us if we drop it to £125,000So i think we will hold out a while then reduce and hope we sell septemeber time.....all waiting !! am used to it ...its took my 2 yrs to get my visa for OZ...sure another yr wont kill me

Just remember the conveyancing can take months - so even if u find a buyer soon, completion could easily be drawn out until september.

Banned

If you have had no interest in 2 months your house is too expensive. Doesn't matter if you drop it now or later.

dimebars

If you have had no interest in 4 months your house is too expensive. … If you have had no interest in 4 months your house is too expensive. Doesn't matter if you drop it now or later.

But yes, either your estate agents aren't doing their job or your house is overpriced.

I expect a bit of both..

doritos

suspect he was refering to lindseyanndavis's post above

Banned

I was referring to the poster abor moving to Oz. Or not as the case is just now

Mine has been up for sale since jan, had 2 viewings, one didn't turn up, other loved it and said it was nicest they had seen. But no offer.
The Market seems really slow where I live, there are just not too many buyers. I suppose dropping the price is dependent on how much you need sell.
I don't need to and tbh the longer it takes for me the better. Im not prepared o sell at a loss ill just sit on it

my friend has been selling a house - had three buyers, lost them all, due to 1) they found somewhere else they liked more 2) theirs didn't sell 3) started knocking the price down a lot after saying they'd buy it so told to forget it.

It's fairly priced and she's lost a lot of rental income while it all goes on, but having redecorated, carpeted etc to imaculateness, was reluctant to rent it out again.

Even if you're tied in to one agent right now, there's nothing to stop you advertising it yourself and then directing any purchasers to the agent to do the running around. Agents vary hugely, in my opinion the work comes after the "sale" in getting it to completion.

It's a very slow market due to the lack of mortgages and job fears. You should have a sit down with your estate agent and discuss a price reduction or maybe go elsewhere if you're not happy with their efforts. You should use spruce up the place in the meantime. A bit more kerb appeal could do the trick...

Its all about the marketing, photos and price.

Try switching to another agent, or use an online agent.

Around 90% of buyers use right move now to look for a new house.

One other thing which did my head in while I was selling was people that put offers in.... but then have their house to sell and which is not already on the market!!

I just refused these buyers and told them to come back once their house was on the market at least.

Original Poster

excellent advice thankyou everyone unfortunatly i do think our asking price is the issue aswell.
This is something i will be discussing with our new estate agent.

zoopla will give you a very crude valuation of your home based on the data it holds and you can update it with amount of space, parking, number of bedrooms if changed etc. it will also give you an idea of rental incomes etc which may be helpful if god forbid someone wanted to buy it to let (_;)
both zoopla and rightmove have 7 years worth of land registry sales data as well.
up my street gives you a good idea of the demographic for your area
some people need an agent but i found them thoroughly unhelpful when selling my edinburgh flat five years ago
in the end it was me who did most of the leg work and they were pushing me to accept a low ball offer but i managed to hold out for 10k more. which made a huge difference to us as a young working couple newly married.
at the time the flat was probably worth more than that but it was my first sale so it was a bit of a learning curve
just keep asking questions and find an agent you can trust
presentation for viewings is also important but the agent will advise you on that
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Help: NowTV Movie pass812
    2. Anyone know of any budget laptops which charge through USB-C?33
    3. Items broken from argos - will I get replacement or refund?66
    4. Printer help please.57

See more discussions