Groups

HELP - Shows/Plays in London...reccomendations needed!

Hi everyone

Its my girlfriend's 21st soon and after discovering that there's no way I can afford to take her on a hot air balloon ride I've decided the next best thing would be to get her tickets for a show or play in London.

She's a theatre design student so I'm looking for something with particularly impressive/creative sets and costumes. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

p.s - don't know if this helps but we recently went to see Brief Encounter at the Haymarket and she liked that a lot

23 Comments

I would have to say Les Mis, fantastic show and the set morphs halfway through, very impressive. seen it at least 10 times and cant wait to go back. too my fella last time, he was really unsure but he loved it!

The 39 Steps at the Criterion is fabulous and really funny, tickets are discounted at the moment on Lastminute.

Off to see the Lion King in October......but that is a tad expensive

Lion King is briliant and costumes are amazing. They set of Lord of the rings is brilliant as well. Wicked had a really good set as well!

does she like doctor who? how about seeing David Tennent in Stratford? the town is lovely and would make a lovely day out.

Lion King at the Lycum is excellent I went to see it in year 2000, it really is good well wort recommending U just got to go

Lion King is an a amazing show (and I hate Disney). If you want a laugh try Avenue Q - like Sesame Street for grown ups. Very funny (esp the puppet sex scene).

Whatever you pick check [url]www.theatremonkey.com[/url] for deals and, most importantly, seating plans so you know which seats offer a decent view.

blackpeppa;2745567

does she like doctor who? how about seeing David Tennent in Stratford? … does she like doctor who? how about seeing David Tennent in Stratford? the town is lovely and would make a lovely day out.

Surely that'll be sold out by now?

Original Poster

blackpeppa;2745567

does she like doctor who? how about seeing David Tennent in Stratford? … does she like doctor who? how about seeing David Tennent in Stratford? the town is lovely and would make a lovely day out.

Not a Doctor Who fan per se but she does like David Tennant! Please tell me more..

And thanks for the othe replies so far, very helpful

First of all v jelous! i really want to go see some of these amazing productions that they constantly have on..
    ive heard ]this is meant to be amazing! but not sure if its still around tbh. Im sure you'll come up with something great..theres always stuff playing in london.
    good luck! (and have a great time)

mrsevans101;2745698

Still got tickets left, I'm hoping to go and see it

rsc.org.uk/Wha…spx

MissRoo;2745791

First of all v jelous! i really want to go see some of these amazing … First of all v jelous! i really want to go see some of these amazing productions that they constantly have on.. ive heard ]this is meant to be amazing! but not sure if its still around tbh. Im sure you'll come up with something great..theres always stuff playing in london.good luck! (and have a great time)

It's still on, one on my list to go see

I've heard very good things about Wicked but I don't know if it's still on at the moment

mrsevans101;2745698

it has sold out at the theatres box office, but i should think thats because the ticket agencies have bought them all.

so try some online ticket agencies.

i'd love to go, waiting for my hubby to take the initivative...

johnstinkpants;2745705

Not a Doctor Who fan per se but she does like David Tennant! Please tell … Not a Doctor Who fan per se but she does like David Tennant! Please tell me more..And thanks for the othe replies so far, very helpful

you needn't spend a fortune as Stratford is lovely for picnics, the park is by the canal/river(?) and the theatre are all central.

choc1969;2745842

It's still on, one on my list to go see

natversion1;2745846

I've heard very good things about Wicked but I don't know if it's still … I've heard very good things about Wicked but I don't know if it's still on at the moment

choc says it is! yay.. but i live no where near london and dont think i have the money :-( . I'm gutted i really really would like to see this.

So OP go see it! :lol:

MissRoo;2745885

choc says it is! yay.. but i live no where near london and dont think i … choc says it is! yay.. but i live no where near london and dont think i have the money :-( . I'm gutted i really really would like to see this. So OP go see it! :lol:

I didn't realise that was what you linked to :-D My dad raves about it and trust me that means it must be amazing as my dad hates films like that

natversion1;2745907

I didn't realise that was what you linked to :-D My dad raves about it … I didn't realise that was what you linked to :-D My dad raves about it and trust me that means it must be amazing as my dad hates films like that

hehe
    Im not even a fan of the wizard of oz (right film, yeh?) but it looks so fun.

MissRoo;2745926

heheIm not even a fan of the wizard of oz (right film, yeh?) but it looks … heheIm not even a fan of the wizard of oz (right film, yeh?) but it looks so fun.

Yeah I think that's what it's based on, I saw Sinderlla * I think it's called* with Jim Davidson in it and that was very funny :thumbsup:

blackpeppa;2745567

Surely you should say "does she like Shakespeare"? My kids love Dr Who but I'm quite sure they wouldn't have much fun watching Hamlet, no matter how many times I said, "But, he used to be Dr Who"!!

Liddle ol' me;2745934

Surely you should say "does she like Shakespeare"? My kids love Dr Who … Surely you should say "does she like Shakespeare"? My kids love Dr Who but I'm quite sure they wouldn't have much fun watching Hamlet, no matter how many times I said, "But, he used to be Dr Who"!!

Lol that's a fair point :thumbsup:

Original Poster

Cheers for the help everyone. Decided to go with Wicked, cost me a fortune but tickets was quite easy to get decent seats. Hope it doesn't disappoint!

Liddle ol' me;2745934

Surely you should say "does she like Shakespeare"? My kids love Dr Who … Surely you should say "does she like Shakespeare"? My kids love Dr Who but I'm quite sure they wouldn't have much fun watching Hamlet, no matter how many times I said, "But, he used to be Dr Who"!!

he USED to be doctor who??!!

has something happened whilst i have been on holiday?

S' funny someone mentioning Wizard of Oz. Just won a competition to see it at The Royal Festival Hall.
    Came as a bit of a surprise as could not remember entering. Gonna go anyway
    Follow the yellow brick road......
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846213
      2. Xbox One - Buying from Other Regions *WITH* A VPN (Virtual Private Network)49394
      3. How dangerous is Donald trump?31156
      4. Report online material promoting terrorism or extremism35

See more discussions