Help - SONY BRAVIA KD49XE9005BU

Found 2nd Oct 2017
So with PayPal's new 24 months 0% offer available on eBay, I've been looking at TV's. I only need a 49" or 55" set due to size of living room. I am wanting a true 4K HDR 10-bit set, I have an Xbox One S, Apple TV 5th gen as well as Netflix subscription, so hoping to benefit from the enhanced images etc.

i came across this SONY BRAVIA KD49XE9005BU from Curry's for £1,199 via curry's eBay shop.

Is this a good set? Anyone with experience this tv? The reviews on What Hi-Fi seem to favour it.

however I am wondering if it is really worth spending the extra cash to go slightly bigger and for an LG C/B7.

all view welcome
Community Updates
Ask
9 Comments
What about the Samsung 55mu7000 at Currys for £999. Proper 10bit panel. Not as bright as their q7 one or as good blacks as OLED, but a fantastic all rounder in my opinion.
Really good tv. Just bought one 2 week ago. Is great for gaming has 1000hz refresh rate. Picture is crystal clear in hd. Os aint the best being android but its useable. Id say its worth the money
Original Poster
MIDURIX8 m ago

What about the Samsung 55mu7000 at Currys for £999. Proper 10bit panel. …What about the Samsung 55mu7000 at Currys for £999. Proper 10bit panel. Not as bright as their q7 one or as good blacks as OLED, but a fantastic all rounder in my opinion.

I thought about a Sammy to start with, as that's what I have at the moment - however the reviews I saw didn't seem as favourable. I'll give this set a look in store
123batman32111 m ago

Really good tv. Just bought one 2 week ago. Is great for gaming has 1000hz …Really good tv. Just bought one 2 week ago. Is great for gaming has 1000hz refresh rate. Picture is crystal clear in hd. Os aint the best being android but its useable. Id say its worth the money

I couldn't find many reviews either.
s21.com/sam…htm
It's basically the same as last year's KS7000 (minus any back light bleed issues) and that got great reviews.
MIDURIX39 m ago

I couldn't find many reviews either. …I couldn't find many reviews either. http://www.s21.com/samsung-ue55mu7000.htmIt's basically the same as last year's KS7000 (minus any back light bleed issues) and that got great reviews.

Not really, it's a model down from that with reduced colour gamut and an inferior backlighting system. The Q7 is a closer equivalent to the KS7000.

HDR is definitely something that benefits from as much money being spent on it as possible, there isn't any such thing as a 'true HDR 10-bit' set on the market yet, even the best available like the Sony ZD9 only covers half the range, if that.

The XE90 is a model that has a good stab at producing some increase in dynamic range though, and difficult to beat at it's current price. The Q7 is competitive and it's finally starting to drop to a more comparable price, although it's still more expensive and many reviews give the XE90 the edge.
Edited by: "EndlessWaves" 2nd Oct 2017
Original Poster
123batman3212 h, 33 m ago

Really good tv. Just bought one 2 week ago. Is great for gaming has 1000hz …Really good tv. Just bought one 2 week ago. Is great for gaming has 1000hz refresh rate. Picture is crystal clear in hd. Os aint the best being android but its useable. Id say its worth the money

Thanks!
Original Poster
EndlessWaves1 h, 48 m ago

Not really, it's a model down from that with reduced colour gamut and an …Not really, it's a model down from that with reduced colour gamut and an inferior backlighting system. The Q7 is a closer equivalent to the KS7000.HDR is definitely something that benefits from as much money being spent on it as possible, there isn't any such thing as a 'true HDR 10-bit' set on the market yet, even the best available like the Sony ZD9 only covers half the range, if that.The XE90 is a model that has a good stab at producing some increase in dynamic range though, and difficult to beat at it's current price. The Q7 is competitive and it's finally starting to drop to a more comparable price, although it's still more expensive and many reviews give the XE90 the edge.

Thank you! that's good to know - I think that within my initial budget the XE90 pips the other contenders to the post? If I was to up my budget further would you go for the LG B7, the bit I am struggling with is, is it worth the extra £600, would I really notice a major difference for that extra cash?
I'd lean towards the XE93 rather than the B7 if you're mainly feeding it HDR.

You'd easily notice the difference between either of them and an XE90 side by side. It's obviously hard to miss what you've never had though, so whether it's worth going for it now or waiting until the next time you upgrade in 2025ish is a much more difficult question.
Original Poster
EndlessWaves9 h, 23 m ago

I'd lean towards the XE93 rather than the B7 if you're mainly feeding it …I'd lean towards the XE93 rather than the B7 if you're mainly feeding it HDR.You'd easily notice the difference between either of them and an XE90 side by side. It's obviously hard to miss what you've never had though, so whether it's worth going for it now or waiting until the next time you upgrade in 2025ish is a much more difficult question.

Again really useful info, I currently have a 46" Samsung 1080p set that I think is about 4 years old now (UE46F6320), so I'm guessing moving from this to either the XE90 or XE93 I will notice a difference with the HDR content, also I guess as the tech keeps improving, it'll probably be even better when I need to upgrade in another 4 years!

I might opt for the lower spec at the better price and save a few hundred quid.

Thanks again for your input
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants