Help switching broadband please!

Found 25th Nov 2017
Can anyone advise? My current BT broadband is due up on 8th December and I’d like to switch to a cheaper rate.
2 questions...

1. Who’s the best alternative at the moment for super fast broadband? I’ve heard maybe Vodafone?

2. Someone said I’d need to buy a new router as the BT one won’t work with other suppliers. Is that true?

Help please! I don’t understand this stuff
Community Updates
Ask
18 Comments
It all depends what area you live & how far from the exchange you are. If you switched providers they all supply their own router you usually just pay the postage.
If your happy with your current broadband eg speed ect is good just phone them up and negotiate a better deal make sure you get out through to retentions to get the best deal.
davzzp12 m ago

It all depends what area you live & how far from the exchange you are. If …It all depends what area you live & how far from the exchange you are. If you switched providers they all supply their own router you usually just pay the postage.If your happy with your current broadband eg speed ect is good just phone them up and negotiate a better deal make sure you get out through to retentions to get the best deal.

Thanks for your reply. We already called BT and they were unwilling to offer us anything except what we’ve been paying all year (£30). I know their prices are going up again in Jan so I wanted out if I could find a better deal. I am just worried about switching and ending up with a poor service as we’ve tried TalkTalk before and it was too slow to use
Check out EE and sky.
KingAwKings25th Nov 2017

Check out EE and sky.

Thank you, will go look at those now
pinkchick198716 m ago

Thank you, will go look at those now

Mind go through quidco if you have an account or top cash back. I just left sky and joined by last week £110 cashback. Every year I swap or 18 months.
It's so easy as the provider does the switch.
You could browse on u switch just for a general idea of what you can get by entering your postcode. 😘
KingAwKings25th Nov 2017

Mind go through quidco if you have an account or top cash back. I just …Mind go through quidco if you have an account or top cash back. I just left sky and joined by last week £110 cashback. Every year I swap or 18 months.It's so easy as the provider does the switch.You could browse on u switch just for a general idea of what you can get by entering your postcode. 😘

I’ve never been on uswitch, I’ll try now, and I’ll be sure to check cash back sites! Thanks
Vodafone are terrible. I left in the first 4 weeks. I’m paying Virgin £30 a month for 100mb Broadband that normally runs around 110. It was £40 installation.
batezy_19847 m ago

Vodafone are terrible. I left in the first 4 weeks. I’m paying Virgin £30 a …Vodafone are terrible. I left in the first 4 weeks. I’m paying Virgin £30 a month for 100mb Broadband that normally runs around 110. It was £40 installation.

Thanks, can I ask why they were terrible? Speed type issues or customer service?
pinkchick19871 m ago

Thanks, can I ask why they were terrible? Speed type issues or customer …Thanks, can I ask why they were terrible? Speed type issues or customer service?

The speed was non-existent. The router also didn’t pick up phones that were upstairs. Never had a problem with BT and don’t now I’m with Virgin
batezy_19849 m ago

The speed was non-existent. The router also didn’t pick up phones that w …The speed was non-existent. The router also didn’t pick up phones that were upstairs. Never had a problem with BT and don’t now I’m with Virgin

Good to know, ta. We had the same issue with TalkTalk so I was nervous to end up with another useless supplier! Will look into Virgin
I am with Plusnet right now.

I switch between Plusnet and TalkTalk at the end of the contract. So, one year (or 18 months) I am with TalkTalk and next one year (or 18 months) I with Plusnet. I just keep switching between the two. So far no issue.
Robiesanta1 m ago

I am with Plusnet right now. I switch between Plusnet and TalkTalk at the …I am with Plusnet right now. I switch between Plusnet and TalkTalk at the end of the contract. So, one year (or 18 months) I am with TalkTalk and next one year (or 18 months) I with Plusnet. I just keep switching between the two. So far no issue.

Thanks, my plan was to switch back to BT next year and take advantage of their new customer offer again! I just need to figure out which other supplier I can switch between as we’ve only been in the house a year
Check out SSE i,ve been with them for two years and no complaints
Talk talk actually owed me money due to the amount of drop out I had a couple of years back. Try and stay clear of them as the so called engineers are hopeless. Had one guy that tried to blame my router channels for random box resetting.
I won't go with Sky due to them having/ had usage caps, plusnet and talktalk at best only offered me up to 20MB speeds

when i was with Virgin, i only had a handfull of dropouts (no connection) for 2-3 days at a time, i only changed due to their ever increasing prices, im now with BT and while the router does randomly reboot and the signal doesn't reach as far as expected (a signal extender has sorted that out), its decent enough. re-signed up @ £30 for another 18mths as the cashback deals make it around £20pm
BT infinity is the most stable and more than fast enough if your line supports it, unfortunately the existing customer deals are unbelievably bad though

personally I'd be trying to get a better deal with them, you should try several times before switching, even if you have to cancel and sign up as a new customer

you'll only be without internet access for a week or so and you'll get the latest hub if you don't have it already, which is fantastic I must say

seriously avoid sky, the hub is beyond awful and you'll be pulling your hair out with your unstable connection

avoid talktalk as it's painfully slow

can't comment on others as I've been with BT since 56k modem days but I've had the above two in our other house and had to get infinity there too eventually due to above reasons
dataload9 m ago

BT infinity is the most stable and more than fast enough if your line …BT infinity is the most stable and more than fast enough if your line supports it, unfortunately the existing customer deals are unbelievably bad thoughpersonally I'd be trying to get a better deal with them, you should try several times before switching, even if you have to cancel and sign up as a new customeryou'll only be without internet access for a week or so and you'll get the latest hub if you don't have it already, which is fantastic I must sayseriously avoid sky, the hub is beyond awful and you'll be pulling your hair out with your unstable connectionavoid talktalk as it's painfully slowcan't comment on others as I've been with BT since 56k modem days but I've had the above two in our other house and had to get infinity there too eventually due to above reasons

Thanks. Tried twice with BT and they wouldn’t budge. Ended up opting for Sky as with cash back and incentives it came to half the price of BT. I’ll see how the connection is and cancel within the 31 days cooling off period if it’s no good
Go to a compare site! Get topcashback you can get around £100 for changing. Most have a setup fee or charge for router so watch out for them. I have plusnet guaranteed 50mb speed and they have cheap deals on sim cards as well. Hope you find something
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions