Help technology people! Smart home ideas

Found 4th Jan
Hi I am a dinosaur when it comes to technology but trying to get up to date with things round the home and bought amazon echo and a hive for my heating and have to say both have been life changing! Is there anything else I’m missing out on?
Community Updates
AskElectronics
11 Comments
Don't worry. They will find you. Alexa is always listening. Did you write this on a device where you had logged onto Google, FB and the like? Maybe used Chrome because it's so great. Don't worry. They will have scanned your post for context and noted your interest. We got a new dog last week and my inbox is full of puppy related sh!te (not to mention the garden .........)

Paranoid? Me? Maybe. (but that's not the same as being wrong is it?).
ccnp30 m ago

Don't worry. They will find you. Alexa is always listening. Did you …Don't worry. They will find you. Alexa is always listening. Did you write this on a device where you had logged onto Google, FB and the like? Maybe used Chrome because it's so great. Don't worry. They will have scanned your post for context and noted your interest. We got a new dog last week and my inbox is full of puppy related sh!te (not to mention the garden .........)Paranoid? Me? Maybe. (but that's not the same as being wrong is it?).

Bit of an unrelated rant.
Hue lights are another option OP. Or cheaper versions if you don't want to spend too much at first.
CoeK3 m ago

Bit of an unrelated rant.

Not to mention tedious in the extreme.

Philips Hue lighting OP.
deeky7 m ago

Not to mention tedious in the extreme.Philips Hue lighting OP.

Very tedious, i don't really get the whole privacy thing when it comes to stuff online, i'd much rather see an offer or advert for something i actually want than a bunch of random stuff.
CoeK2 m ago

Very tedious, i don't really get the whole privacy thing when it comes to …Very tedious, i don't really get the whole privacy thing when it comes to stuff online, i'd much rather see an offer or advert for something i actually want than a bunch of random stuff.

It's the whole idea that it's listening to anything other than what is intended to listen to. I'm getting on for 18 months with my 1st Echo, and have never had any spam or anything like that as a result.
deeky3 m ago

It's the whole idea that it's listening to anything other than what is …It's the whole idea that it's listening to anything other than what is intended to listen to. I'm getting on for 18 months with my 1st Echo, and have never had any spam or anything like that as a result.

Try barking at it, see if you get dog related stuff to your inbox
My nan is disabled but by making her home smart it has really made her life a lot easier.

All her lamps are now smartbulb (yeelights £8 each) which are linked by room so Google turn the lounge on turns them all on and off.

She has strategic smartplugs for turning things on and off e.g. her laptop charger.

Alongside hive it's really made an improvement to her quality of life.
bulbs, robot vacuum, cameras (if you have kids or pets), if you really need it then washing machine, dishwasher, lawn mower...
deeky2 h, 47 m ago

It's the whole idea that it's listening to anything other than what is …It's the whole idea that it's listening to anything other than what is intended to listen to. I'm getting on for 18 months with my 1st Echo, and have never had any spam or anything like that as a result.

That's not how they work.

They have a chip listens for the activation phrase then and only then does it enable the main hardware which listens for a command/query then they go online and send the query.
Here's a full explanation
np.reddit.com/r/S…BSD
joedastudd4 m ago

That's not how they work.They have a chip listens for the activation …That's not how they work.They have a chip listens for the activation phrase then and only then does it enable the main hardware which listens for a command/query then they go online and send the query.Here's a full explanationhttps://np.reddit.com/r/Showerthoughts/comments/7m91u9/if_google_devices_only_start_listening_once_you/drsdxe1/?sh=c90d0649&st=JBO70BSD

You agree with each other.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants