Help testing N64

Posted 27th Jan
3396111.jpg3396111.jpg3396111.jpg
What wires do i need to connect an n64 to a hdtv? am i missing something? thanks...
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

14 Comments
Get the first one and then you can get a RCA to HDMI for a few quid on eBay
I had a N64, admittedly quite a few years ago now. I remember using the lead with the 3 RCA connectors (first picture) just check what inputs your TV has. I can also remember using a Scart with the RCA inputs as well (pictured). Some TVs have the RCA inputs in which case you wouldn't need the Scart adapter.39773903-gkVaI.jpg
Note that the second one mentions RGB, the N64 doesn't output RGB. It'll always be a little fuzzy and soft looking due to this. (There are exceptions and mods but most UK consoles don't look great these days)
Brydo66627/01/2020 12:35

Note that the second one mentions RGB, the N64 doesn't output RGB. It'll …Note that the second one mentions RGB, the N64 doesn't output RGB. It'll always be a little fuzzy and soft looking due to this. (There are exceptions and mods but most UK consoles don't look great these days)

Yeah its annoying that the N64 doesn't output RGB, especially when the SNES does.
Arto27/01/2020 12:23

Get the first one and then you can get a RCA to HDMI for a few quid on eBay

Is this what you mean, get one of these adapters?
39774027.jpgWould there be a benefit to doing this if the hdtv i have has got a scart port or would a scart one of these be better?
Edited by: "prynolfc" 27th Jan
Admittedly a lot more expensive, but these are brilliant
39774028-4AtPy.jpg
stevenjameshyde27/01/2020 12:48

Admittedly a lot more expensive, but these are brilliant[Image]

How much are they? I'm pretty sure this n64 is dead anyway, but I have been tempted to get a snes, n64, ps1 etc... it's just that I have no room to keep them anywhere, without them gathering dust and getting neglected haha.
Edited by: "prynolfc" 27th Jan
You will need a composite lead (as per your first image) and assuming your TV has composite ports just plug it into them.

Modern TVs don't contain very good ADC chips (Analogue to Digital Converter) so the picture wont look very good, to improve this you will need to invest in a good ADC such as the OSSC or Retrotink.
prynolfc27/01/2020 12:53

How much are they? I'm pretty sure this n64 is dead anyway, but I have …How much are they? I'm pretty sure this n64 is dead anyway, but I have been tempted to get a snes, n64, ps1 etc... it's just that I have no room to keep them anywhere, without them gathering dust and getting neglected haha.

About £30, but the picture quality is surprisingly great for such an old console... if you're just testing for signs of life then finding a solution for a tenth of that is the way to go.
prynolfc27/01/2020 12:48

Is this what you mean, get one of these adapters? [Image] Would there be a …Is this what you mean, get one of these adapters? [Image] Would there be a benefit to doing this if the hdtv i have has got a scart port or would a scart one of these be better?

You want it the out way around “RCA TO HDMI”
If you think the n64 is dead then you need to keep it simple and cheap and go analogue and not hdmi.

Check your ports on your tv.
Isolate the issue. Try on a different TV. Try a different cheap cable. Don't put the cartridge in as this may be faulty.
Etc.
I recently connected the n64 to my 55” 4k Tv via the original aerial connection - the picture was absolutely terrible, but it was still playable.
Daft idea but can you connect it to an old tv first to see if it works first b4 buying a connector for your modern tv
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants