Groups

:( HELP, told we cant have sky what do we do

I'm moving to a new area and into a newish estate been only up for a few years, I've been told of some covenants that mean you cant park caravans, vans campervans outside and you cant have a sky dish????:shock:

This is life stopping for my other half,

We own a old vw camper, a work van and have had sky since it came out

we signed today and we're worried, we're already having to sell the plasma cause it wont fit anywhere

what is peoples experience of new estates

40 Comments

Covenants should be declared before you buy. I doubt they'll be too worried as you need to work, thus you need a van etc.

If you can't get Sky then you can always go for freeview and buy the addtional channels.

Sorry to say this, you should have read the documentation, or, your solicitor should have pointed out these things.
    You need to see your solicitor again, ask why they were not pointed out, but chances are, it's a grin and bear it alas.
    If it's in black and white, unless it's an unfair restriction then, not much you can do.....

I think this is a common thing for new estates, it normally isn't acted upon, however it is a risk if you proceed to have the sky dish, van etc. I think the problem will be if your neighbours complain to the builders. It is there to try and maintain a high standard.

Your solicitor should have pointed this out to you prior to you signing papers and normally is declared once all searches have been completed and then you make the decision to proceed or not.

What can you do without Sky.....

[SIZE="7"]Rejoice![/SIZE]

jelli89

What can you do without Sky.....[SIZE=7]Rejoice![/SIZE]

But think of the children. :shock:

Or more to the point how many will come along with no TV to watch. ;-) :-D

jelli89

What can you do without Sky.....[SIZE="7"]Rejoice![/SIZE]

Id kill myself!, in my eye's there is only sky tv or no tv.

Banned

I have always had excellent service from Sky.

Once you have had the full package, nothing else will do:w00t:

Original Poster

jaybizzle

in my eye's there is only sky tv or no tv.

Have to agree with you there, had it for ages

How will I watch Living tv, most haunted, sky one, mtv

gutted,

to be fair we went over the papers, but what choice do I have, I'm moving to a new area, limited on £ in that area, if I pull out now I have no where to live in 2 weeks

and have a full chain behind me....its move or dont move and if I dont move I lose business - a business that I cannot run without my campervan and my van - these are my day to day cars...buy old and get no parking so catch 22!

Syzable

But think of the children.

....er....:thinking: - now what?........:giggle:

syzable

Or more to the point how many will come along with no TV to watch.

[SIZE="5"]None!![/SIZE] [SIZE="1"]I got him done[/SIZE]:thumbsup: :-D( got plenty of T.Vs and freeview - just no Sky:-D

Original Poster

On top of the fact I either lose the sale on mine or move out and have no where to live if I dont move....

I lose over £3k in fees, not so money saving

(oops thats another iste

tlck9

I'm moving to a new area and into a newish estate been only up for a few … I'm moving to a new area and into a newish estate been only up for a few years, I've been told of some covenants that mean you cant park caravans, vans campervans outside and you cant have a sky dish????:shock: This is life stopping for my other half, We own a old vw camper, a work van and have had sky since it came outwe signed today and we're worried, we're already having to sell the plasma cause it wont fit anywherewhat is peoples experience of new estates

Covenants usually expire after a certain time.

The developers usually only enforce the covenants while they are still building and still trying to sell the remaining houses. Once all are sold and they have moved on, they usually can't be bothered. They are just there to stop one of the first residents doing something outragous that would put other people off buying on the development.

In reality they are very rarely enforced unless your house has only just been built. I doubt anyone will notice if you stick a sky dish on the side of your house and aerials are mentioned so as not to spoil the roof line of houses. When I purchased my house it said that there could be no external aerials yet the seller had a sky dish stuck to the side of the house which was below the roof line and presumably okay.

Check to see if anyone else nearby your house has a dish. If they do you should be okay. If they don't then make sure the Sky van comes round whilst its dark.:whistling:

Sorry forgot to add guidance about the campervan and works van.

The campervan should be ok as its difficult to tell nowadays what is a 'van' and what isnt. Yours could arguably be called a recreational vehicle or sports utility vehicle.

The works van is slightly awkward and my advice would depend on what roads you have nearby. Remember the only restriction is parking a dirty great big van or lorry on your drive as it may spoil the surrounding area. If you have a road nearby and there are no parking restrictions you can park your van there:thumbsup: Its a public road and no one can stop you parking there so long as you are abiding by the rules of the highway code etc etc

So dont let these silly covenants put you off. They are usually forgotten about by developers and rarely enforced.

Original Poster

pluves1

If they don't then make sure the Sky van comes round whilst its … If they don't then make sure the Sky van comes round whilst its dark.:whistling:

:giggle: :giggle: :giggle:

Original Poster

is this possible to get some sky channels over the net legally? and if so which ones...

I'm thinking iTV for apple, sent to the tv if I get get discovery I'm home dry

any place they dont allow VW campers is no place i want to be.

Original Poster

Mclovin

any place they dont allow VW campers is no place i want to be.

:thumbsup:

agreed, i should be able get away with the campervan, no intention of selling it for anyone or any place

Sky though....my other half is despondent and :-(

I thought a new LCD tv would cheer him up, but he said no sky no point in a big tv
    :-(

Maybe we'l sell the house....

tlck9

:thumbsup: agreed, i should be able get away with the campervan, no … :thumbsup: agreed, i should be able get away with the campervan, no intention of selling it for anyone or any placeSky though....my other half is despondent and :-( I thought a new LCD tv would cheer him up, but he said no sky no point in a big tv:-( Maybe we'l sell the house....

ever attended bugjam :D? good times.
    what kind of camper you got?
    got a T25 Want a T2 or T1 Split screen tho

Who has told you of the covenants - a solicitor or word of mouth? Have you had a look round the estate to see if anyone else has a dish? I would doubt very much if an entire housing estate nowadays is devoid of any sky customers.
    There is a covenant on a house we bought which says we can't keep chickens - wierd eh? but out of a close of 22 houses someone actually has done for 3 years with no problems. (the campervan may be harder to 'disguise') is it your main form of transport? Is there a chance that you could keep it in a secure compound if it's not?

Original Poster

Mclovin

ever attended bugjam :D? good times.what kind of camper you got?got a T25 … ever attended bugjam :D? good times.what kind of camper you got?got a T25 Want a T2 or T1 Split screen tho

Got a T2 Bay 72, havent been to bugjam but we go to vanfest, usually have a stand there (but due to not promoting my business cannot say which stand!!)

Green camper with white roof - westfalia continental

Had a beach buggy until the weather got rubbish, great fun

Had a 71 beetle

and now have the T2 and a T4, hoping to add a T5 (dreammmming sportline!) to the list if I can convince the Tv lover to part with the volvo V50!!

Original Poster

jelli89

Who has told you of the covenants - a solicitor or word of mouth? Have … Who has told you of the covenants - a solicitor or word of mouth? Have you had a look round the estate to see if anyone else has a dish? I would doubt very much if an entire housing estate nowadays is devoid of any sky customers. There is a covenant on a house we bought which says we can't keep chickens - wierd eh? but out of a close of 22 houses someone actually has done for 3 years with no problems. (the campervan may be harder to 'disguise') is it your main form of transport? Is there a chance that you could keep it in a secure compound if it's not?

:giggle:

Solicitor

Sound very similar, I cant keep pigs, poultry, noisy birds, dangerous birds,
    cant breath, cant smoke, cant F**t, cant park the car anywhere but on own property, cant paint the outside, cant waddle naked down the centre of the road

I would say if you listed the individual covenents there were about 200 of the ***ody things

oh and cant work on the car even on the drive, cant chat up the AA man if he comes to call, hopefully I can leak oil on the drive, else i'm stuffed owning more than 1 VW

Oh and finally, cant use the garage as storage unless for a car....do people actually park their car in the garage????

Being 300 miles away I have seen the house/estate only twice! not like I can pop round and set my mind at rest

and now i've posted this if I say where, I'm likely to get linched:giggle:

Can you solicitor give you any guidance on what constitutes a 'car'?
    Use this maps.google.co.uk/map…;q= type in your new address and zoom in around the area - see if you can spot any dishes...

Original Poster

After returning home, i've emailed to check how we stand with it all.

I do have an option for the camper if need be, but I'm not sure how you could disguise a dish

I did notice that round the corner someone had left a caravan on a drive, which even I know is a big no no - so i'm wondering if they are quite as vigilent - the only thing is that they builders are just finishing the end of the road

Our house has been up since 2005, she mentioned a 3 year arrangement which I've queried again, cause I could cope with no sky until june next year if I had to - IF this was to do with the covernents, but then I had somthing like 20 differnt searches which all merged into one by this point

just ahve to go to the pub more often, or the beach

(opens flood gates cause now you'll say...beach what the balzers do you need sky for :giggle:

Original Poster

jelli89

Can you solicitor give you any guidance on what constitutes a 'car'?Use … Can you solicitor give you any guidance on what constitutes a 'car'?Use this http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?oe=UTF-8&hl=en&tab=wl&q= type in your new address and zoom in around the area - see if you can spot any dishes...

:-( shows a field i'm afriad...but thank you for your thoughts on this:thumbsup:

Get yourself a ]Digiglobe dish. These aren't cheap but then no one could tell that this is Sky dish.

http://www.selkirkshire.demon.co.uk/analoguesat/images/digiglobe.jpg

or you can try Digicube:

http://www.ddelec.com/digital/cube/08.jpg

]http//ww…htm

jelli89

What can you do without Sky.....

make more children? what else is there to do?

heaven forbid, you wouldn't want to listen to the radio, read a book, play a game, go out ....

naaaahh,, s*d it, make babies ...:giggle:

Clock post #11:whistling:

Banned

tlck9

I'm moving to a new area and into a newish estate been only up for a few … I'm moving to a new area and into a newish estate been only up for a few years, I've been told of some covenants that mean you cant park caravans, vans campervans outside and you cant have a sky dish????:shock:

I can remember when sky first started (and as a sky pioneer) the ribbing on the tv about having a dustbin lid on your house!

If you are able to (and dont have any concerns about kids hitting the dish with footballs), then there is no reason it couldnt be sited somewhere within the garden and out of site of prying neighbours.

Dunno what they would say about my dish though!!!

http://photoquest.co.uk/d/1802-2/IMG_1293.JPG

Excuse the mess in the garden!!! :giggle:

Original Poster

thanks everyone...the globe looks good, if I cant have sky then the price is high but will keep the hubby happy...anything for a quiet life

I wouldn't worry about the covenant too much tick. It is standard wording in most new build transfers/leases these days and the majority of my client's go ahead without any difficulties.

The only time the covenants may become an issue will be upon your sale of the property as no doubt the purchasers solicitor will go through the covenants with any prospective purchaser and they would then have the choice to request the dish to be removed or request an indemnity policy.

I have acted for a number of property developers and have never experienced any action being taken for breach of the covenants so don't worry about it

Original Poster

Thanks Fireheaven

I think i'm just conscious that we're moving to a new area and completely new life style in a Cornish town...

not knowing how the land lies and also being from outside of the area I really dont want to cause trouble before we've even been there a month

but thanks again everyone

I can always guarentee to get fair advise from you guys

Cheers:friends:

You could always ask your solicitor to query it before completion take place. I had a client who purchased a new build and ran a taxi firm so wanted to keep a couple of taxis on the drive. There was a similar covenant about business vehicles but they happily amended the wording to include no more than two vehicles.

It may be worth discussing it with your solicitor - after all that's what you are paying them for ;-)

The paperwork for my flat specified no satellite dishes- but then I doubt Sky would be able to put a dish up here on the 16th floor! There was also something about cleaning the windows very six weeks, but I can't find a long enough ladder...

Original Poster

Thinking I will go with it and see, when I get there I will be able to see if I can get one on the rear of the house...fingers crossed it points in the right direction

:thumbsup:

Banned

I'm on a new build estate with a similar covenant, every other house has a sky dish and 1 in four have a caravan parked outside. I think the general rule is if the neighbours are doing it, go for it :thumbsup:

Good luck with it all :thumbsup:

Original Poster

thanks....i'm not we can do without sky and certainly my other half will be buried in his camper van....

I did see a caravan parked outside one of the garages, a bit of a rundown one, looked like it had been there for ages, so it boils down to if there is any neighbours that take a dislike to our camper or US

Theres a resolution to most problems, this isn't a great one -
    [SIZE="7"]Virgin Media[/SIZE].

Original Poster

jamesterror

Theres a resolution to most problems, this isn't a great one - … Theres a resolution to most problems, this isn't a great one - [SIZE="7"]Virgin Media[/SIZE].

Unfortunetly no Cable....

I'm on cable here and unlike most I love the broadband, but dont have the tv have always prefered the discovery channel on sky.

No cable? Odd. Cable broadband is much better than ADSL imo. I don't watch TV enough, only C4 + E4 so can't really give an opinion, though I can tell you the Virgin Media packages are wa*k.

Original Poster

jamesterror

No cable? Odd. Cable broadband is much better than ADSL imo. I don't … No cable? Odd. Cable broadband is much better than ADSL imo. I don't watch TV enough, only C4 + E4 so can't really give an opinion, though I can tell you the Virgin Media packages are wa*k.

Cornwall doesnt have cable yet

I thought My virgin package is quite good, £19 for telephone inc all calls, broadband 2mb
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Win a safari adventure & claim a free Chicago Town pizza coupon33
      2. Win a Free minion usb stick88
      3. Win a pair of running shoes up to the value of £100 with UKRunChat99
      4. Magazine competitions - Issue 37 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk2324

See more discussions