Help Tv is on the blink , do i repair or buy an lcd/plasma please!!!!!

Found 23rd Mar 2008
Help please ! After about 30 minutes our TV switches to stanby, and rather than stay glowing red, the standby light just blinks. We disconect the power and plug it in again to get it to work again?

So is this terminal or do I have to join the modern age and buy a plasma or Lcd ?
The lounge is 18 1/2 feet by 13 feet and my wife would like the new tv to go in the corner. She says 37 inch I say why not 42 inch, but I imagine 42 inch will be ok as we are sitting atleast 10 feet away.

So do i need 1080p, so i'll be up to date with the latest developments, hence the tv will not be obsolite so quickly? And the big question LCD or Plasma? whats best?

Ideally a TV from Dixons or John Lewis would be preferable with a five year guarantee, so shall i keep my eyes open on Hot Deals and by the first decent one with Heat over say 150 ????

Thanks guys for time.

16 Comments

Your best bet is to go to [url]www.avforums.com[/url]
You will find all the answers over there mate but a 42in or more is a must :thumbsup:

I've got a 26' lounge and a 40" lcd tv. IMO anything bigger would be too big for the room - the bigger the tv, the further away you need to sit to get the benefit of it.
Don't beleive anyone who says the bigger the better:thumbsup: Good luck in your search.

P.s. Sometimes its worth going to your local tv shop and doing a bit of good ole bartering before you commit to your "big store" deal but make sure you do your homework before hand.

Original Poster

Thanks Guys , I love HUKD. My wife agrees and still says 37 inc, but i'l hold out for a 42 inch.

I bought this johnlewis.com/230…spx
42 inch my room is 16x13 and its amazing hope this helps

42in is the min i would go with your viewing distance of 10 feet away check out this simple calculator for your ideal tv size its coming up as 42in or 43in for 10 feet. I have a 50in plasma at a viewing distance of about 11 foot and is fine.

Original Poster

I am the wife!!!
just measured the distance from the telly to our sofa, its over 10 ft...so I will have to give in...a 42in. will be fine...1 nil to the husband...his first victory in years, thought!

Rule of thumb:
Minimum viewing distance for High Definition (1080 resolution) = 1.5x size of screen.
Minimum viewing distance for Standard Definition (576 resolution) = 3x size of screen.

Remember that you will be watching standard resolution most of the time because that is what is broadcast on standard Freeview channels. So for a 42" screen, watching broadcast telly, you'll need to sit 10.5 feet away. Otherwise you will see the individual dots that make up the picture.

Original Poster

Wow I,m learning all the time, thats great as the nearest seated position is 13 1/2 feet as measured by my 7 year old and myself- all fun stuff.

P.S. I am am mostry right, from the husband!!!!;-)

waterloo;1766535

42in is the min i would go with your viewing distance of 10 feet away … 42in is the min i would go with your viewing distance of 10 feet away check out this simple calculator for your ideal tv size its coming up as 42in or 43in for 10 feet. I have a 50in plasma at a viewing distance of about 11 foot and is fine.

Lol here is the calculator dtvcity.com/lcd…tml

From 10 ft away anything bigger than a 32" is pointless.

sounds like you want a new plasma, ditch the old one and go on a shopping spree

pcfairs;1766950

sounds like you want a new plasma, ditch the old one and go on a shopping … sounds like you want a new plasma, ditch the old one and go on a shopping spree

Every time i post something you pop up with some **** go away you idiot and post something constructive .

The only problem with a massive tv is the fact that when you switch it off it looks ugly!!
(so you'll have to keep it on the whole time:whistling:)

kjbenja;1766942

From 10 ft away anything bigger than a 32" is pointless.

ooohhhh so wrong, i tried a 32" from bout 8ft away, now i've got a "50 plasma, much happier, all that calculation is pure bollix, listen to your eyes

maddogb;1767474

ooohhhh so wrong, i tried a 32" from bout 8ft away, now i've got a "50 … ooohhhh so wrong, i tried a 32" from bout 8ft away, now i've got a "50 plasma, much happier, all that calculation is pure bollix, listen to your eyes

Weirdo :roll:

kjbenja;1768108

Weirdo :roll:

guilty as charged
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769570
    2. Add one, leave one game54415463
    3. Without giving away your age, name three things that remind you of when you…52114
    4. 5 Letter Scrabble Game52522882

See more discussions