Found 7th Oct 2008
I'm in the process of upgrading parts of my laptop, but i'm stuck with regards to the dvd-rom. I want to upgrade my dvd-rom to a dvd-rw, but i'm not sure as to what type of drive i need to get.

Currently i have a Toshiba SD-C2612 DVD-ROM.

Any help would be appreciated as i am truly stumped.

Cheers

7 Comments

re your enquiry about a suitable drive, I have been using/installing pioneer drives in systems for a long time and have only ever had one faulty one and that was only a compatability problem with an old motherboard, PIONEER IS THE WAY TO GO>

cheers

scousekevin:)

If your DVD drive is removable (some of them slot in and out) you should be able to buy a dvd/rw from Toshiba to slot in and replace the existng one. May not be cheap though.

Check the Toshiba site.

If it WONT slot in and out then get a USB connected dvd/rw. That way you can use a generic (non Toshiba) one which should be cheaper.

Original Poster

I'm just not sure what type. Aren't there different types like IDE SATA. I tried to find out what mine was and got APATI?

It is removable guilbert.

bathfan;3139206

I'm just not sure what type. Aren't there different types like IDE SATA. … I'm just not sure what type. Aren't there different types like IDE SATA. I tried to find out what mine was and got APATI?It is removable guilbert.

On a laptop the optical drive usually has a custom connector rather than ide/sat as with a pc, chances are there will be little choice if any for replacements other than whether or not its recordable:thumbsup:

Original Poster

Oh right, cheers harlzter.

Another problem i've just found is that the current drive isn't secured by screws, it has a lever that comes out from the tray that you pull to remove it. Hope that makes sense.

Thats going to be a problem, i can't see any drives that have that on it.

This is what i currently have: thelaptopcentre.co.uk/pop…a58

bathfan;3139342

Oh right, cheers harlzter.Another problem i've just found is that the … Oh right, cheers harlzter.Another problem i've just found is that the current drive isn't secured by screws, it has a lever that comes out from the tray that you pull to remove it. Hope that makes sense.Thats going to be a problem, i can't see any drives that have that on it.This is what i currently have: http://www.thelaptopcentre.co.uk/popup_image.php?pID=309&oscsid=42d394e820dd726ec559e7543aeffa58

That lever is probably a caddy system that the drive fits into, what is the laptop you have? People would be able to advise you better then:thumbsup:

Original Poster

Its a dell latitude d600
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Should I upgrade to Windows 10?44
    2. 48 hour working time directive69
    3. Installing google play store on Kindle Fire 2nd gen?615
    4. Windows 7 reactivation56

See more discussions