Get a £20 Amazon voucher for helping us make hotukdeals work even better!

ADMIN 48
Posted 17th Jan
Hi all

We are always trying to do things to improve hotukdeals, from new rules on different types of retailers and pricing, to small (and sometimes large!) changes to how the website experience work.

We really want to get some in-depth feedback from our users, including a 'test' (fun, we promise!) for us to see how you use the website, sharing your thoughts on some new ideas we are considering and also a chance to give us your ideas that would improve the whole experience.

We're using a new online tool to do this, through online interviews that will last around 40 minutes, in various slots next week.

If you would be interested in taking part - you don't have to be a signed-up member - please pop your details into this short form:

docs.google.com/for…orm

If you are selected, and do the interview, you will get a shiny £20 Amazon voucher

Thanks!
Planty
Community Updates
Official Announcements
Top comments
Just bring misc back as we know (knew) it. The ridiculously heavy-handed approach to moderation has completely ruined it as a place where you could be entertained for a while.

One member (you know who you are) hit the nail on the head when he said that he has been a long time member on dozens of massive forums. He is a decent, polite and truthful bloke yet the only place he has EVER had comments removed is right here on HUKD.
Edited by: "deeky" 17th Jan
Admins, can you please explain why you have banned Asda deals from this site and why you are instantly deleting any comment or thread that politely asks why this is?
Can you explain why you block retailers such as Asda, yet deals, that you claim to check, are added that are quite clearly from scam websites?
Can you stop paying members to spam the site?
Oh, and can you allow the search to actually show all items? Even the notifications don’t come up with all items anymore... the feed doesn’t show all new deals. There used to be a feed that showed everything. It’s too easy to miss deals now, yet I get all the ‘staffs’ deals.
Discussions is now just a dumping ground for deals you don’t like, mainly those by not paid for staff, because you put it there.
Money before functionality, show off the deals that get you the most £££
Edited by: "choccie32" 17th Jan
Improve the quality requirements of those employed to moderate as that's where too many problems stem from & subsequently fester.

Also "ask" / discussions has become a mess since the last round of "change" a dumping ground for "semi" deals which oft makes for strange reading.
48 Comments
Improve the quality requirements of those employed to moderate as that's where too many problems stem from & subsequently fester.

Also "ask" / discussions has become a mess since the last round of "change" a dumping ground for "semi" deals which oft makes for strange reading.
Can you explain why you block retailers such as Asda, yet deals, that you claim to check, are added that are quite clearly from scam websites?
Can you stop paying members to spam the site?
Oh, and can you allow the search to actually show all items? Even the notifications don’t come up with all items anymore... the feed doesn’t show all new deals. There used to be a feed that showed everything. It’s too easy to miss deals now, yet I get all the ‘staffs’ deals.
Discussions is now just a dumping ground for deals you don’t like, mainly those by not paid for staff, because you put it there.
Money before functionality, show off the deals that get you the most £££
Edited by: "choccie32" 17th Jan
Just bring misc back as we know (knew) it. The ridiculously heavy-handed approach to moderation has completely ruined it as a place where you could be entertained for a while.

One member (you know who you are) hit the nail on the head when he said that he has been a long time member on dozens of massive forums. He is a decent, polite and truthful bloke yet the only place he has EVER had comments removed is right here on HUKD.
Edited by: "deeky" 17th Jan
Admins, can you please explain why you have banned Asda deals from this site and why you are instantly deleting any comment or thread that politely asks why this is?
Please can you fix the train wreck that has become the mobile site?

Now that there is text under each of the deals, I'm lucky if I can see 2 on a page on my browser.

If I use incognito mode then I see the previous version which I used to get, so it seems to be personalised to my account somehow.
Hi. This thread is in relation to helping us via a 40 minute-ish interview next week. If you are interested and available for that, please let us know via the link above.

Most of the questions here have been answered elsewhere, but

- If you see any deals 'that are quite clearly from scam websites', always let us know via a report
- The issue with Asda cannot be commented on publicly (hence the deletions) but I can 100% promise it is not to do with commission levels, as has been suggested elsewhere
- We know the search isn't perfect (we have to use it a lot and it is frustrating). It is not rigged to show expert/editor posts though. It is possible to use Google to search this site specifically, maybe try that: lifewire.com/goo…499

The usability problems some of you are having, we want to hear about (with details such as browser/OS and more) so please join the interviews on the link above as that's the right place.

Please keep comments polite about all other users (moderators, editors and experts alike) or they will be deleted.

Thanks
Any reward for completing?
deeky17/01/2020 09:56

Just bring misc back as we know (knew) it. The ridiculously heavy-handed …Just bring misc back as we know (knew) it. The ridiculously heavy-handed approach to moderation has completely ruined it as a place where you could be entertained for a while.One member (you know who you are) hit the nail on the head when he said that he has been a long time member on dozens of massive forums. He is a decent, polite and truthful bloke yet the only place he has EVER had comments removed is right here on HUKD.

Unfortunately that’s not going to happen. Been thrashed out many times on here and comments removed. I too enjoyed having a laugh ( not at anyone’s expense) and being entertained. Sign of the times I’m afraid.
Dan17/01/2020 10:16

Hi. This thread is in relation to helping us via a 40 minute-ish interview …Hi. This thread is in relation to helping us via a 40 minute-ish interview next week. If you are interested and available for that, please let us know via the link above.Most of the questions here have been answered elsewhere, but- If you see any deals 'that are quite clearly from scam websites', always let us know via a report- The issue with Asda cannot be commented on publicly (hence the deletions) but I can 100% promise it is not to do with commission levels, as has been suggested elsewhere- We know the search isn't perfect (we have to use it a lot and it is frustrating). It is not rigged to show expert/editor posts though. It is possible to use Google to search this site specifically, maybe try that: https://www.lifewire.com/google-search-one-website-1616499The usability problems some of you are having, we want to hear about (with details such as browser/OS and more) so please join the interviews on the link above as that's the right place.Please keep comments polite about all other users (moderators, editors and experts alike) or they will be deleted.Thanks

Hi Planty, I've tagged you in a couple of times in JHT... it's be a nice start to the year if the members of that thread could have their true count of their comments back

I've found out why they kept disappearing (ie the thread was taken away for moderation when I changed the header (at least I think that was the problem)) I've now changed the offending word (which was only the surname of a singer, but nevertheless it must have contained a banned word).

Sorry, I know it's probably not the thread to ask, but if you could help that would be great
deeky17/01/2020 09:56

Just bring misc back as we know (knew) it. The ridiculously heavy-handed …Just bring misc back as we know (knew) it. The ridiculously heavy-handed approach to moderation has completely ruined it as a place where you could be entertained for a while.One member (you know who you are) hit the nail on the head when he said that he has been a long time member on dozens of massive forums. He is a decent, polite and truthful bloke yet the only place he has EVER had comments removed is right here on HUKD.

maccy1i17/01/2020 10:42

Hi Planty, I've tagged you in a couple of times in JHT... it's be a nice …Hi Planty, I've tagged you in a couple of times in JHT... it's be a nice start to the year if the members of that thread could have their true count of their comments back I've found out why they kept disappearing (ie the thread was taken away for moderation when I changed the header (at least I think that was the problem)) I've now changed the offending word (which was only the surname of a singer, but nevertheless it must have contained a banned word).Sorry, I know it's probably not the thread to ask, but if you could help that would be great

thanks -i saw that. The product team are still looking into it - will update in there as soon as I have something
Xboxgamer32117/01/2020 10:20

Any reward for completing?

There is now £20 Amazon voucher if selected and do the interview
Dan17/01/2020 11:01

thanks -i saw that. The product team are still looking into it - will …thanks -i saw that. The product team are still looking into it - will update in there as soon as I have something

Thank you, I know they were able to return them before when it happened, so fingers crossed
chimp14uk17/01/2020 10:44

[Video]

Careful, might be breaching some rule as originally a Russian Song "Dorogoi Dlinnoyu" meaning "by the long road" which might not be in keeping
What is the point of giving our responses when you delete them because you don't like them. So much for wanting users views?

Hi. This thread is in relation to helping us via a 40 minute-ish interview …Hi. This thread is in relation to helping us via a 40 minute-ish interview next week. If you are interested and available for that, please let us know via the link above.Most of the questions here have been answered elsewhere, but- If you see any deals 'that are quite clearly from scam websites', always let us know via a report- The issue with Asda cannot be commented on publicly (hence the deletions) but I can 100% promise it is not to do with commission levels, as has been suggested elsewhere- We know the search isn't perfect (we have to use it a lot and it is frustrating). It is not rigged to show expert/editor posts though. It is possible to use Google to search this site specifically, maybe try that: https://www.lifewire.com/google-search-one-website-1616499The usability problems some of you are having, we want to hear about (with details such as browser/OS and more) so please join the interviews on the link above as that's the right place.Please keep comments polite about all other users (moderators, editors and experts alike) or they will be deleted.Thanks

Robotic responses as usual
I think you need to address some issues relating to comments and the automated moderation queue. Some comments get marked for moderation for no reason whatsoever.
40 minutes during the working day?

Can you not have evening or weekend slots?

...- We know the search isn't perfect (we have to use it a lot and it is …...- We know the search isn't perfect (we have to use it a lot and it is frustrating). It is not rigged to show expert/editor posts though. It is possible to use Google to search this site specifically, maybe try that: https://www.lifewire.com/google-search-one-website-1616499

[ hotukdeals.com/com…442 ]

39698202-E1SDw.jpg
PS. I subsequently provided Mr Nikkel with the information on how to use the Google search API to utilise Google results as an integral component of this site, but the decision remained to continue using the bespoke site search facility; even acknowledging all of the faults it had & still has to this day. The search facility in operation prior to the "gopep" design offered enhanced criteria & more filter options than those currently supported.
Edited by: "fanpages" 17th Jan
Sorry don't have 40mins spare or would probably have signed up.
OBH6UK17/01/2020 12:10

What is the point of giving our responses when you delete them because you …What is the point of giving our responses when you delete them because you don't like them. So much for wanting users views?

As noted to you, your comment was deleted for not meeting our rules about courtesy and politeness.

We accept (and encourage) criticism, as numerous threads like this being live shows. But we do not accept insults towards other members.
Duggie200017/01/2020 12:45

40 minutes during the working day? Can you not have evening or weekend …40 minutes during the working day? Can you not have evening or weekend slots?

Sorry, on this type of testing we can't - if we continue using this tool though it's something we can try to work out for future
awiew17/01/2020 12:30

Robotic responses as usual

Not sure what else you were after, but sorry to have disappointed
I have applied, would I be notified through a message on here as well as email?
Westwoodo17/01/2020 13:15

I have applied, would I be notified through a message on here as well as …I have applied, would I be notified through a message on here as well as email?

Thank you! It'll be an email
Dan17/01/2020 13:17

Thank you! It'll be an email

I'll actually have to start checking that email address then
Dan17/01/2020 11:04

There is now £20 Amazon voucher if selected and do the interview

When you mean online interview, how do you plan to communicate? Phone call? Messages? Email?
Maybe I'm in the minority (and I didn't hang around Misc that long) but I found it vicious, perhaps a bit cliquey and not a friendly place to be, but I know some great friendships were forged on there, so it couldn't have been that bad.

(Getting back on the topic of this thread) I might pop my name in, as long as it's not a Skype interview, cos I could only really do it later on at night!
Edited by: "louiselouise" 17th Jan
jamie1517/01/2020 13:55

When you mean online interview, how do you plan to communicate? Phone …When you mean online interview, how do you plan to communicate? Phone call? Messages? Email?

it uses a portal in a new tool we are trialling - basically a bit like a video call, but using the video to show you certain screens etc
Planty72017/01/2020 14:23

it uses a portal in a new tool we are trialling - basically a bit like a …it uses a portal in a new tool we are trialling - basically a bit like a video call, but using the video to show you certain screens etc

@Planty720 not related to this topic but please can you check your pm 👀
Dan17/01/2020 13:06

As noted to you, your comment was deleted for not meeting our rules about …As noted to you, your comment was deleted for not meeting our rules about courtesy and politeness.We accept (and encourage) criticism, as numerous threads like this being live shows. But we do not accept insults towards other members.

I did not insult anyone.

I pointed out that the moderation team and "experts" need changing.
Dan17/01/2020 14:23

it uses a portal in a new tool we are trialling - basically a bit like a …it uses a portal in a new tool we are trialling - basically a bit like a video call, but using the video to show you certain screens etc

Are responses given over webcam? Audio? Typed?
louiselouise17/01/2020 14:04

Maybe I'm in the minority (and I didn't hang around Misc that long) but I …Maybe I'm in the minority (and I didn't hang around Misc that long) but I found it vicious, perhaps a bit cliquey and not a friendly place to be, but I know some great friendships were forged on there, so it couldn't have been that bad.(Getting back on the topic of this thread) I might pop my name in, as long as it's not a Skype interview, cos I could only really do it later on at night!

You may be out of luck, @louiselouise. The schedule of available times may not coincide with your own availability...

39699580-io755.jpg
deleted1781217/01/2020 15:49

You may be out of luck, @louiselouise. The schedule of available times …You may be out of luck, @louiselouise. The schedule of available times may not coincide with your own availability...[Image]

Never mind, thanks though
deleted1781217/01/2020 15:49

You may be out of luck, @louiselouise. The schedule of available times …You may be out of luck, @louiselouise. The schedule of available times may not coincide with your own availability...[Image]

louiselouise17/01/2020 15:50

Never mind, thanks though

You're welcome.

I would expect the age ranges for those available to complete this survey/interview will somewhat skew the results because of the proposed times, so the intended objectives for feedback may not be addressed during this first cycle.

Hopefully a second/subsequent cycle(s) will be advertised & you can take part later in the evening.

...and just be grateful you have a job that means you are unavailable
Ferris17/01/2020 15:30

Are responses given over webcam? Audio? Typed?

A mix of both, I think (I won't be running the test myself so I haven't got the full details to hand )
Stop the 'cold voting' option. Some people abuse that. They vote cold because they don't like another user or they don't like the product but the deal still may be great to someone else.
The rule ought to be if you like it vote it hot if you don't think it's that good then don't vote but no cold option
nadhaw17/01/2020 17:31

Stop the 'cold voting' option. Some people abuse that. They vote cold …Stop the 'cold voting' option. Some people abuse that. They vote cold because they don't like another user or they don't like the product but the deal still may be great to someone else.The rule ought to be if you like it vote it hot if you don't think it's that good then don't vote but no cold option

No thanks. Latest Deals do it that way and it is nowhere near as good. If someone posts a rubbish deal we can't disagree with it.
I give up. Asked for help but relevant comments deleted. Can I have £20 please. I am a lost as to why deleted.
HUKD could maybe explain further.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants