Groups

Help using HDMI cables with Virgin TV

We recently got Virgin+ HD, but my TV has only 1 HDMI port, so i bought a 3 port HDMI splitter box so i can connect my PC and Virgin box at the same time.

Now the computer always connects fine with no problems, but when i switch the splitter to the virgin box, the screen just goes black, no picture or sound. However, occasionally after turning the TV off/on, i do get a picture come through and it works fine until i turn the TV off again.

I can't figure out what the problem is...it can't be the splitter because the PC connects fine, and the cable from splitter to TV must be ok for the same reason.

any ideas?
    thanks

6 Comments

what model splitter did you get? (link if you can)

and have you tried connecting it directly, not through the splitter

Possible HDCP issue?

Original Poster

splitter came from ebay, item no 390179560254

the virgin cable works fine directly to the tv - although it did once give the black screen as well during the many times i was taking the connector in and out

no idea what HDCP is...

athunder;8850793

no idea what HDCP is...

It's a content protection system. Everything in the chain needs to be compliant or the signal is broken. However the splitter does claim to be compatible.

Have you tried auto and manual switching between devices on the splitter?

some splitters only like to allow one signal through at a time and "blends"them if not

Original Poster

MBeeching;8851732

It's a content protection system. Everything in the chain needs to be … It's a content protection system. Everything in the chain needs to be compliant or the signal is broken. However the splitter does claim to be compatible.Have you tried auto and manual switching between devices on the splitter?

same result either way, computer screen comes up fine, tv screen comes up black
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. So Brexit isn't going how a lot of Brexiters thought it would22
      2. Do cheeky drivers annoy you when they park outside your house and leave it …2548
      3. It is a Yorkshire pudding wrap.812
      4. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047137

See more discussions