Expired

help vauxhall vectra 1.9 tdci automatic 08 plate problem please help cheers in advance

Found 25th Nov 2014
hi all new to this got me self a vauxhall vectra 1.9 cdti automatic 08 plate well hear goes when im driving it and i put it in drive and if i put my foot down to the metal to get away quick from junctions or other cars it will proper take off but soon as the car is warmed up and i go to boot it again the revs seem to go right up to 2000 revs and even go past 3000 revs and even upto 4000 revs but not as oftden while this is going on the revs are flying but the car doesnt change gears. sometimes it does but then just runs so crap it as no guts but when i put it in trip tronic it seems to be a little better but not much better i have changed the oil in the gear box but made no difference iv tried to change the engine oil but can not get the bolt off as its been rounded off so will have to go into garage for that i checked the level of the oil and there is to much in the engine its past the maximum level will this cause problems like piston slap im no expert so would really love the help thanks in advance
Community Updates
12 Comments
Too much oil + too high revs = knackered engine.
Get that sorted and quick.
Too much I worse than too little
drain oil immediately
Too much oil is bad and may cause many problems like the ones you describe.

You'll probably blow the seals etc...

I'd strongly advise that you don't start the engine until you've had some oil drained, If you must then drive slowly and to the nearest garage.

May be a mobile mechanic would be best option, Should not cost that much for it to be drained.

Some places drain oil via the dipstick.

You could drain some oil by removing the oil filter, Or via the dipstick method

sounds like it could be a clutch issue, tiptronic? you mean cruise control?
Type your answer here...cheers guys for your speedy replies very happy will get the oil sorted asap. no its got the rare gear box with trip tronic you can put it into gears to just by sliding it across it as a + and a - .do you think the gear box is broken as in f....ked or is it something else like maf sensor or something else i wana go buy a maf sensor but dont wana waste money in case it isnt that cheers many thanks mark.
One way to check maf sensor is, Disconnect the maf sensor and go for a drive ( Will probably put engine warning light on ). If it drives better then that's probably your fault and yes a faulty maf sensor could cause erratic revs.

Also might be worth having it hooked up to a diagnostics scanner to read any faults, Some don't trigger the engine warning light but are still stored in memory. You can get cheap scanners on Ebay/Amazon.
shauneco

One way to check maf sensor is, Disconnect the maf sensor and go for a … One way to check maf sensor is, Disconnect the maf sensor and go for a drive ( Will probably put engine warning light on ). If it drives better then that's probably your fault and yes a faulty maf sensor could cause erratic revs. Also might be worth having it hooked up to a diagnostics scanner to read any faults, Some don't trigger the engine warning light but are still stored in memory. You can get cheap scanners on Ebay/Amazon.

cheers shauneco i disconnected the maf sensor and it run really slow and i mean slow but no hi revs what does that mean cheers mate
markmellors

cheers shauneco i disconnected the maf sensor and it run really slow and … cheers shauneco i disconnected the maf sensor and it run really slow and i mean slow but no hi revs what does that mean cheers mate

Sounds like it might of gone into limp mode ( Get me home mode ), Basically the ecu detects a fault and puts into a safe mode. It could very well be the maf sensor.

If you've already drained some oil then I'd replace that.

Would be wise to have a diagnostic check though as could be lambda sensor/s at fault or may be even idle control valve at fault.
cheers mate i will do that then get back to you see how i get on with it. the idle stays just under 1000 revs and is perfect its soon as you hit the peddle it shoots up or driving where is the lambda sensor/s please and thanks for the help mate
markmellors

cheers mate i will do that then get back to you see how i get on with it. … cheers mate i will do that then get back to you see how i get on with it. the idle stays just under 1000 revs and is perfect its soon as you hit the peddle it shoots up or driving where is the lambda sensor/s please and thanks for the help mate

Usually have 2, One pre-catalyst ( Manifold area ) and one after the catalyst in exhaust.

Really might be best to have it diagnosed by a mechanic, By the time you've paid for a new maf, lambda sensors you could of had the problem resolved as it could very well turn out to be something else like a faulty ecu, etc..

I am happy to offer you suggestions and hope you get the issue resolved, Please do enlighten us if you manage to cure the issue.
many thanks again got a garage to ring tomorrow. its my neighbours brother so hopefully get it done on the cheep will let you no what it was many thanks mark
hi guys had the car into garage and engine oil changed had the oil filter changed and the glow plugs changed there was a fault with the glow plugs so had them all done a fault came up for the maf but im unsure of that as i unplugged it before to see if it was better so not sure if that error was because of me unplugging it anyway car sounds and feels much better but still is doing the hi revs but not all the time mainly now when i excelorate fast you feel the turbo kick in really good then you go to kick it again and i swear it feels like the turbo isnt kicking in at all and obviously it over revs could the turbo be on its way out or could it be a sticky acuator i found oil in the turbo pipes is this normal not loads but very wet etc please advise ok thanks guys
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants