HELP! VW PASSAT 02 - "STOP! BRAKE FAULT" warning light

Found 21st Dec 2009
Hello people!

I need some help.

Currently my car is in a VW garage having all day looked at (apparently)

VW tech can't figure out why the warning light is displaying - they have checked the brake fluid, oil brake discs and the sensors.... they're saying that there computers cant communicate with the car at all?! does anyone know or can help!? is this possible? it's not like it's password protected!

They also said that to try and communicate with the car and to see what faults there are - they have to replace the whole dash board electronics. Which comes to 500 quid.

My heart skipped a beat when they said that - can anyone help at all?! or have come across this before? I've read up on forums and found nothing.... !

1. Misc
  2. VW
Groups
  1. Misc
  2. VW
24 Comments

It's a long shot but I'd leave the battery disconnected overnight to clear the faults stored in the ecu. The light will probably come back on if the fault is still present but you might just be lucky.

trade it in and get a better car
not an expert or owt.. lol just like buying new cars

Original Poster

jtx - Tried the battery trick - didnt work.

arcangel111 - Passat 02 is still a good car!

Sounds like VW passat are trying hard for a xmas bonus

They also said that to try and communicate with the car and to see what … They also said that to try and communicate with the car and to see what faults there are - they have to replace the whole dash board electronics. Which comes to 500 quid.

Do you know exactly what they want to replace? I would say if the car won't connect to diagnostics it would more point to an ecu fault, or the instrument cluster may be faulty but the term whole dash board electronics means nothing does it. If it's the clocks I'd be looking on partsgateway.co.uk/ or a breakers rather than buying new. Either way, you need to get them to expand a bit on what they intend to replace for £500.

Original Poster

ok - cheers - will update tomorrow

It could be just an earthing fault?

Original Poster

richhock;7295454

How can I be sure?

richhock;7295454

Agreed, or a plug loose somewhere, a bit of corrosion on a pin, the possibilities are endless:thinking:

Fact is most main dealer mechanics nowadays have a procedure to follow, they don't know what it feels like to resolve a problem cheaply by using prior knowledge anymore as even if they did, they would get no credit or recognition for it.

Have you thought about getting a vag-com compatible cable and software, it'll cost much less than you paid today......

as far as you are aware has your vehicle ever been on a diagnostic (computer) before ? if it has then some one might not have used the "stop communicating" protocol when disconnecting the machine from the OBD socket ! this leaves the port open & wont let any further communication occur between the diaganostic machince & vehicle ECU when hooked back up to it.

or the worst case scenario could be a faulty ECU or an earthing problem.

I can sympathise with the technicians though, we have cars now & again with similiar problems as to regards to being able to communicate, some turn out to be wiring faults, broken wire's in the ecu harness.

http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/uploads/4544/computer_says_no.jpg

richp;7295963

as far as you are aware has your vehicle ever been on a diagnostic … as far as you are aware has your vehicle ever been on a diagnostic (computer) before ? if it has then some one might not have used the "stop communicating" protocol when disconnecting the machine from the OBD socket ! this leaves the port open & wont let any further communication occur between the diaganostic machince & vehicle ECU when hooked back up to it.or the worst case scenario could be a faulty ECU or an earthing problem.I can sympathise with the technicians though, we have cars now & again with similiar problems as to regards to being able to communicate, some turn out to be wiring faults, broken wire's in the ecu harness.

I keep repping you for sound advise in these threads, have you got a mobile number:-D

diggad;7295625

How can I be sure?

Find the sensor which is giving the fault and use a multi meter to check the connections to the body work, or use a short wire to connect the negative terminal to the body work. Only do this if you are confident of doing it!
Also, Check the condition of the main earthing cable from the battery to the body work.

I'd try Vag Com yourself mate & see if you can access it.

Alternatively, look in a few VW/Skoda/SEAT forums. They all have threads in them for people to ask if another forum member with the kit can hook it up.

Got my cable for £8 from eBay & you can download the software from the Ross tech site for free.

Any other warning lights on the dash being displayed? Have you had anything replaced recently on the car? Do the brake lights work ok? Faulty brake light switch is the most common & probably the cheapest option to try first. Also seem to remember comms fault due to connection on back of radio??

Aye, think mine cost me less than a fiver & there are loads of guides about on how to replace it (5 min job).

I bought one, but before i went to fit it, it cured itself !!!

Original Poster

Carley;7297157

Today 18:14 Today 18:25 Confused :?Had you tried it already?

Yeh dudes, tried over night!

Original Poster

The Therapist;7298422

Any other warning lights on the dash being displayed? Have you had … Any other warning lights on the dash being displayed? Have you had anything replaced recently on the car? Do the brake lights work ok? Faulty brake light switch is the most common & probably the cheapest option to try first. Also seem to remember comms fault due to connection on back of radio??

OK - Ill try investigating!

Original Poster

richp;7295963

as far as you are aware has your vehicle ever been on a diagnostic … as far as you are aware has your vehicle ever been on a diagnostic (computer) before ? if it has then some one might not have used the "stop communicating" protocol when disconnecting the machine from the OBD socket ! this leaves the port open & wont let any further communication occur between the diaganostic machince & vehicle ECU when hooked back up to it.or the worst case scenario could be a faulty ECU or an earthing problem.I can sympathise with the technicians though, we have cars now & again with similiar problems as to regards to being able to communicate, some turn out to be wiring faults, broken wire's in the ecu harness.

thanks for this... shouldn't the diagnostic machine stop communicating when you disconnect!

No it hasnt been through a computer before.

Original Poster

jtx;7295812

Agreed, or a plug loose somewhere, a bit of corrosion on a pin, the … Agreed, or a plug loose somewhere, a bit of corrosion on a pin, the possibilities are endless:thinking:Fact is most main dealer mechanics nowadays have a procedure to follow, they don't know what it feels like to resolve a problem cheaply by using prior knowledge anymore as even if they did, they would get no credit or recognition for it.Have you thought about getting a vag-com compatible cable and software, it'll cost much less than you paid today......

Havent thought of that - the'yre about 50 quid arent they... VAG-COM - but i see there are like 3 different types of machines... OBDII, etc.......hmmm

Original Poster

transit;7295988

!

Original Poster

ChrisUK;7297228

I'd try Vag Com yourself mate & see if you can access it.Alternatively, … I'd try Vag Com yourself mate & see if you can access it.Alternatively, look in a few VW/Skoda/SEAT forums. They all have threads in them for people to ask if another forum member with the kit can hook it up.Got my cable for £8 from eBay & you can download the software from the Ross tech site for free.

sounds good dude.

Ill check it out

Original Poster

GUYS - THANKS ALL for the advice - will keep you posted when I pick up the car from VW at around midday.

Original Poster

ChrisUK;7297228

I'd try Vag Com yourself mate & see if you can access it.Alternatively, … I'd try Vag Com yourself mate & see if you can access it.Alternatively, look in a few VW/Skoda/SEAT forums. They all have threads in them for people to ask if another forum member with the kit can hook it up.Got my cable for £8 from eBay & you can download the software from the Ross tech site for free.

just brought one from ebay... will keep this in mind!

Original Poster

ChrisUK;7297228

richhock;7297122

Find the sensor which is giving the fault and use a multi meter to check … Find the sensor which is giving the fault and use a multi meter to check the connections to the body work, or use a short wire to connect the negative terminal to the body work. Only do this if you are confident of doing it!Also, Check the condition of the main earthing cable from the battery to the body work.

ok - Ill try this too. Good advise.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Sweet Sunday Codes22
    2. Skateboarding advice (beginner) 25/yo217
    3. Building a PC Need Help!615
    4. Dog advice please. Think my Labrador is dying after catching the cold22

See more discussions