Groups
    EXPIRED

Help wanted finding decent laptop.

Hi there. Looking for a new laptop. Willing to spend up to a max of £500. Must have DVD multi writer, at least 2gb ram, seperate graphics card, widescreen and pentium dual core duo. Hard disk size around 100gb. Dont really want a Dell. Webcam and bluetooth would be nice, but not essential. Any help would be v appreciated. Rep will be added. Thank you.

12 Comments

Was just about to suggest a Dell until I reread your post. Just ordered a new laptop for my birthday and got above the spec you want for £500 from Dell. I'm sure you will get what you need for nearer the £400 mark but couldn't tell you where (Apart from Dell). Think Comet had a decent offer on a Toshiba a couple of weeks ago.

i think this is a good spec and price graphic's is really the only weakness

ebuyer.com/pro…887

Original Poster

thank u 4 that. i ideally wanted a Pentium processor, not AMD.
    thanks for the link tho :-)

potboypete;5047638

thank u 4 that. i ideally wanted a Pentium processor, not AMD.thanks for … thank u 4 that. i ideally wanted a Pentium processor, not AMD.thanks for the link tho :-)

Can I ask why? Without being rude, the way your post above is phrased it doesn't sound as if you quite understand the difference between each part.

The AMD CPU in the laptop will be slower than most Intel Pentium (only the new ones) and the Core 2 Duo CPU's in out-and-out speed, but the 4GB of RAM will mean for most things it will "seem" quicker (Apps will load faster etc).

IMO i'd recommend the Acer 6930G - £479.99 from Play ]here, remember the RAC 5% off code + QuidCo for even more £ back. Got everything you want except Bluetooth (but has Blu-Ray instead :P)

I have to ask - what are you using the PC for? What sort of size were you looking for? 15.4" is the standard, if your looking for portability go lower and if your looking for home use go higher - if you want a mix then go for 15.4.

Original Poster

Basically, just looking for a high spec laptop that will let me back up my wii games, will give excellent performance without slowing down and plays high spec games. This one looks perfect, not sure wether blu-ray will burn dvd -/+ tho. Rep added. Tyvm.

As a rough rule of thumb - every laptop i've seen with an optical drive for sale new in the UK (i.e. anything but an ultra-portable / mobile laptop) has a drive that will burn DVD's (both formats) & CD's, and play them too - if it's a Blu-Ray or HD-DVD drive it'll do the same but obviously play that format in addition.

Friend's got the 6930G - quite a nice bit of kit. Only issue is the power - obviously it draws a fair wad of power, so in "ready to game" mode (i.e. high performance with the CPU allowed to actually do any work) your looking at 1 hour battery life.

If gamings your thing - get the 6930G (it doesn't have Bluetooth :(),

If you want a high-spec PC that can play games (but not necessarily anything *too* demanding) then get the 6735S - but you lose Blu-Ray.

Don't get hung up on memory, either - the 32-bit OS it ships with will only see about 3.25-3.5 GB of RAM tops, and you can buy 4GB of laptop RAM for £28 from Play and it's a 3 minute job to upgrade yourself if you see a nice 2GB laptop...

potboypete;5053514

plays high spec games.

You're going to have to compromise here if you want a laptop, I suspect the best you'll get at that sort of price is a 9600M GT which is a low-end part (It's equivelent to the 9500GT). That will struggle to play new games with all the details turned on even at modest resolutions of 1280x800, and you can forget about it in a couple of years (well, we may be seeing games developers start writing for the expanding low power market by then).

Looking at this H.A.W.X. ]performance chart for example, the 9600GT gets 42fps so the 9500GT/9600M GT with about half it's performance is probably around 20fps. That may be good enough for single player depending on how much it dips depending on level (that figure's an average) but on multiplayer you'll want to lower the settings.

Also, Pentium is Intel's new Celeron. The Core 2 range (well Core i7/i5/i3, but they haven't made it to laptops yet) are the mainstream intel processors now. Dell is also a well-reputed brand these days, probably one of the best thought of for budget computers. Unless you've had bad experiences with them in the last few years I'd revise your decision about staying away (or transfer it to Acer).

I thought Celeron was Intel's new Celeron? The Pentium used to be top - but the Pentium based of Core2 is still much much faster than the old Pentium.

Banned

contact me.do you think about hp?

Jakg;5055793

I thought Celeron was Intel's new Celeron? The Pentium used to be top - … I thought Celeron was Intel's new Celeron? The Pentium used to be top - but the Pentium based of Core2 is still much much faster than the old Pentium.

Well celerons are the very low-end processors, pentiums are just the low-end ones.

How so?

The Atoms are bottom of the range, Celerons are low-end laptop, Pentiums are in the middle and Core 2 are at the top - but at the same time the "middle of the road" Pentium will kill any Turion on the market and is more than fast enough...

Original Poster

My issue with Dell is repairs. Brothers got 1, & no1 will touch it. Got an acer at the mo, travelmate 4500 and had no probs with it, so would happily buy again. Jakg's acer from play is looking like the 1. Thanks all for your help.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. pringles movie codes11
      2. HELP - am i being scammed on gum tree1416
      3. Lidl Memory Foam Mattress55
      4. Ripped off by GearBest, VERY ANGRY!1719

See more discussions