HELP WANTED - NISSAN TINO PROBLEM

Found 21st Jan 2013
Hi folks, my car decided to die a death today. It's a NIssan Tino 2004 SE Automatic

Basically it wouldn't start. I tried the usual wait 20 secs and try again.....nothing and also the on/off to position 2 quickly and round to start and again nothing. So I'm not sure if it's deffo the immoiliser.

all Normal posions appear ok ie, radio, then dash lights and wipers etc.

One i turn it NATS light goes off as normal, when i try to start engine NATS light flashes 6 times and stays on. I get a thudd thud noise like it's trying to lock. Also if all doors are locked once the key is put in ignition the doors unlock.

Any advice welcome as unsure wether to take to local dealer or if it's going to needs new keys / immobiliser would this be somthing only a nissan could deal with.

Not a nice thing to happen when temp is 0 and 3 young kids in the car. Any advice much appreciated
Community Updates
MiscMovieNissan
19 Comments
Banned
Take it to a garage? Call the RAC or AA????
imsofly

Take it to a garage? Call the RAC or AA????

Are you nuts?

This is misk, we have all the unqualified advice the op needs!
Banned
had you been driving it already today? was the engine still worm or was this a cold start?

is the antifreeze mix strong enough to deal with these temperatures. Something could be frozen.

Edited by: "slamdunkin" 21st Jan 2013
the nats system, im almost positive the nats system shuts off the fuel that allows it to start u maybe better at a nissan garage

you could try this ...
The Central Door locking is controlled by the Multi-Remote Control system which controls the door locking, door super locking and hazard reminder.
When the doors are locked and unlocked the unit flashes the hazard lights once for lock and twice for unlock.
A maximum of four remote controls are allowed to be programmed.
Ensure all the doors have been unlocked, either by using a good transponder key or remote control plip key.
1. Turn the ignition switch from Position 0 to ON 6 times within 10 seconds.
2. Then turn ignition switch to OFF position. Leave key in ignition switch.
3. After 2 seconds, the system will enter programming mode and will flash the warning lights twice.
4. Press and HOLD the unlock button on the Plip.
5. While pressing the unlock button, press the lock button 3 times.
6. Release the unlock button.
7. The warning lights will flash once to indicate successful programming.
8. Repeat procedure 4 to 7 for up to 4 plip key's.
9. When completed turn ignition ON, and the warning lights will flash 2 times.
10. Remove key, and check all plip key's for operation.
NOTE : The programming mode will stop when either the ignition is switch ON, 4 plip keys have been programmed or no input signal either from the switch or plip keys has been received for 120 seconds
Edited by: "singer" 21st Jan 2013
How you going to take it to a local dealer if it won't start ?
The NATS is part of the immobiliser system, as mentioned above it cuts off the fuel rails to prevent the car from being started.

Either the key has failed or the unit that receives the signal has.

Get someone out to look at it.
Edited by: "hornblowerracing" 21st Jan 2013
Original Poster
whatsThePoint

is the battery fully charged?

yeah. By the time i realised it was going nowhere ( 4ish) it was too late to call my breakdown recovery for tonight as all garages here shut at 5 and was highly unlikley breakdiwn recovery would be out and at garage by 5, especially with the weather in parts of the country
Original Poster
singer

the nats system, im almost positive the nats system shuts off the fuel … the nats system, im almost positive the nats system shuts off the fuel that allows it to start u maybe better at a nissan garage you could try this ...The Central Door locking is controlled by the Multi-Remote Control system which controls the door locking, door super locking and hazard reminder. When the doors are locked and unlocked the unit flashes the hazard lights once for lock and twice for unlock. A maximum of four remote controls are allowed to be programmed. Ensure all the doors have been unlocked, either by using a good transponder key or remote control plip key. 1. Turn the ignition switch from Position 0 to ON 6 times within 10 seconds. 2. Then turn ignition switch to OFF position. Leave key in ignition switch. 3. After 2 seconds, the system will enter programming mode and will flash the warning lights twice. 4. Press and HOLD the unlock button on the Plip. 5. While pressing the unlock button, press the lock button 3 times. 6. Release the unlock button. 7. The warning lights will flash once to indicate successful programming. 8. Repeat procedure 4 to 7 for up to 4 plip key's. 9. When completed turn ignition ON, and the warning lights will flash 2 times. 10. Remove key, and check all plip key's for operation. NOTE : The programming mode will stop when either the ignition is switch ON, 4 plip keys have been programmed or no input signal either from the switch or plip keys has been received for 120 seconds

Thanks for reply, this was the first thing i tried and did work when this happened a couple of yrs back, but not this time unfortunately.
no probs ,sorry i couldnt help
Original Poster
markjohnson

How you going to take it to a local dealer if it won't start ?

breakdown recovery, will call them 1st trhing in the morning as no garage would be open after 5.
Original Poster
singer

no probs ,sorry i couldnt help

not a problem. much appreciated.
we have the same problem with our tino. We had the immobiliser collar around the ignition changed but it still kept happening. In the end a mechanic told me that there was a loose wire somewhere. Ever since then when the NATS light comes on and the car won't start i put the key in the ignition and give it a good wiggle up and down so that the barrel moves slightly- works every time and saves me getting ripped off by the Nissan garage!!
Original Poster
sidsmum

we have the same problem with our tino. We had the immobiliser collar … we have the same problem with our tino. We had the immobiliser collar around the ignition changed but it still kept happening. In the end a mechanic told me that there was a loose wire somewhere. Ever since then when the NATS light comes on and the car won't start i put the key in the ignition and give it a good wiggle up and down so that the barrel moves slightly- works every time and saves me getting ripped off by the Nissan garage!!

cheers will mention this, just found out my bro's mate is an auto mechanic and he's gonna have a look first and if Nissan specific i'll give my breakdown company a call and get it to Nisan
Hope you get it sorted, nightmare thing to happen with the weather like this!
whats a Tino? Just going to google it.
here found you an engine
http://www.buytrader.co.uk/vehicles/car-parts/nissan-almera-tino-se2-1-8-petrol-engine-faultless-engine-qg18de-2000-2005_i3

and also googled for tino images and found
http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=nissan+tino+funny&start=99&hl=en&tbo=d&biw=1280&bih=675&tbm=isch&tbnid=rzokfmYfrOhAsM:&imgrefurl=http://www.facebook.com/donbernasconi&docid=vXJohEfmhoEVkM&imgurl=http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/198326_372273549494198_749888798_n.jpg&w=500&h=378&ei=Zb79UI_MHMyz0QXUxoCADQ&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=369&vpy=156&dur=88&hovh=195&hovw=258&tx=92&ty=101&sig=103371361498845792447&page=4&tbnh=143&tbnw=201&ndsp=40&ved=1t:429,r:19,s:100,i:61
did you get it sorted?
Original Poster
Thank you all for your help, was worried it was the starter or the iginition unit. Anyway turned out it was the BATTERY!!! Doh! ( I can just hear the stupid woman comments now) Was convinced it was somting to dod with ignition!!! Even though it came on it wasn't getting that final kick to fire to it up. It's an old type of Batttery with cells on it and it was low on water. The cells need water to ensure it get fulls charge, So all going but got a new bosch one today so good as new.

Thanks everyone for all your help.
Original Poster
glass_half_full

whats a Tino? Just going to google it.

Nissan Almera people Carrier.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants