i have a ipod touch & wanting to go on the net with it
    i have sky broadband phoned them,they said i need a dongle
    went to currys they said its gonna cost £59
    i aint paying anywhere near that
    anyone kno where you can get 1 for under £20
    or just help & advice anything really

32 Comments

you dont have a wireless router?

The Touch is already wireless - what do you actually need?

Original Poster

no
    i phoned sky bloke said that i have the latest broadband &
    that i had to go to currys

barky;5132918

you dont have a wireless router?

I thought Sky Only did wireless routers?

If you havent got a wireless router from Sky Give them a ring, there should be no reason they wouldn't upgrade your old SKY Router to a Wireless one.

The ipod touch is wireless capable it doesn't need a dongle you can jump on any wireless open network with it.

Original Poster

i have put my password in from sky doesnt accept it
    although i can sit outside maccy ds & get it there

rainey4731;5132984

i have put my password in from sky doesnt accept italthough i can sit … i have put my password in from sky doesnt accept italthough i can sit outside maccy ds & get it there

Your not being very clear..

Have you got a Sky Wireless Router...... it should be white and have a little antenna poking out the back.

If you do have a Sky Wireless Router then providing you havent changed the Network Password, it should be on the back/bottom of the router in capitals. Not your Sky Account Password.

Original Poster

im new to all this wireless stuff
    guy from sky said i have all the latest stuff

Original Poster

no its black with no antena

Original Poster

yeah ive noticed that doesnt accept the password

rainey4731;5133007

no its black with no antena

Ahah! I am there now... you have the free package which doesn't have a wireless router

my touch finds my bt homehub no problem-I had to put the ssid(think thats what you call it) in the first time I connected but now it connects automatically everytime.

Original Poster

many thanks i will get back in touch with them

You need a new router - Your looking at about £40 form your local PC World / Curry's, but if you ring them up you might get one cheaper over the phone through Sky.

erm my sky wireless router is BLACK with NO antenna so possibly doesnt need new router

rainey4731;5133026

many thanks i will get back in touch with them

I think the next package up from sky is £5 a month and you get the wireless router, higher speeds etc.

I thought they were still passing out the Netgear White Routers.

What model number is your router? Is it a Sagem one? Think they did some sagem ones that were wireless

Original Poster

just phoned sky again they again said i had the latest model & that i would need to get a wireless dongle from either currys /comet

Original Poster

netgear http://packages.sky.com/library/images/f/surf_install_flash.gif&imgrefurl=http://packages.sky.com/surf/installation.aspx&usg=__Ke7RzhKE8nKJAcE1bhUMxcUzMbo=&h=364&w=554&sz=50&hl=en&start=4&sig2=vI7eLMHyX8rUm7lucFn_iQ&tbnid=6sXpmUnS45uoFM:&tbnh=87&tbnw=133&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dsky%2Bbroadband%26gbv%3D2%26ndsp%3D20%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN&ei=8F0BSrz6FcTL-AafsrioAw

Original Poster

http://packages.sky.com/library/images/f/surf_install_flash.gif&imgrefurl=http://packages.sky.com/surf/installation.aspx&usg=__Ke7RzhKE8nKJAcE1bhUMxcUzMbo=&h=364&w=554&sz=50&hl=en&start=4&sig2=vI7eLMHyX8rUm7lucFn_iQ&tbnid=6sXpmUnS45uoFM:&tbnh=87&tbnw=133&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dsky%2Bbroadband%26gbv%3D2%26ndsp%3D20%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN&ei=8F0BSrz6FcTL-AafsrioAw

Original Poster

]http//pa…spx

this is the router i have

rainey4731;5133235

just phoned sky again they again said i had the latest model & that i … just phoned sky again they again said i had the latest model & that i would need to get a wireless dongle from either currys /comet

The dongle is USB so will only go in a PC / laptop. Even so it wont help.

They are fobbing you off!

The password could be case sensitive? :-D

rainey4731;5133300

]http://packages.sky.com/surf/wireless.aspxthis is the router i have

i have exact same but mine is labled SAGEM,yet you say yours is NETGEAR?
    should be as simple as putting your "network key" in capitals thats on the label underneath unless its a compatability issue

Nintendo DS's dont/didnt connect to these

Do you have anything else that connects wirelessly to this? As it will be the same settings as that.
    I have a feeling you may have MAC address filtering set to on, which may be why you cannot connect - unless of course you are not putting in the right details for the wireless network.

Original Poster

spic;5133479

Do you have anything else that connects wirelessly to this? As it will be … Do you have anything else that connects wirelessly to this? As it will be the same settings as that.I have a feeling you may have MAC address filtering set to on, which may be why you cannot connect - unless of course you are not putting in the right details for the wireless network.

im not i dont think so
    where do you go to find the mac setting
    when my ipod asks for the password ive put in the network key 1

Original Poster

rainey4731;5133523

im not i dont think sowhere do you go to find the mac settingwhen my ipod … im not i dont think sowhere do you go to find the mac settingwhen my ipod asks for the password ive put in the network key 1

it doesnt accept the password

unplug the router and plug it back in, I had a problem with a Wii that wouldn't connect to a Sky Router for love nor money recently.

Unplugged the router for 3mins plugged it back in and it worked.

Can you see your network when searching on your iPod?

WAIT had a thought..

You may have the router locked as in you will need to tell it there is a new device that needs adding.

you need to log into the router..

in the address bar in your browser on your PC type in 192.168.0.1

you should see a box that asks for Name and Password...

Name is 'Sky' Password is 'Password'

should see a main portal page, left hand side should be 'attached devices'

you need to add the Touch as a New Device

Original Poster

Celticsun;5133634

unplug the router and plug it back in, I had a problem with a Wii that … unplug the router and plug it back in, I had a problem with a Wii that wouldn't connect to a Sky Router for love nor money recently.Unplugged the router for 3mins plugged it back in and it worked.Can you see your network when searching on your iPod?WAIT had a thought..You may have the router locked as in you will need to tell it there is a new device that needs adding.you need to log into the router..in the address bar in your browser on your PC type in 192.168.0.1you should see a box that asks for Name and Password...Name is 'Sky' Password is 'Password'should see a main portal page, left hand side should be 'attached devices'you need to add the Touch as a New Device

i will try this later as my kid is awake
    many thanks
    rainey

Original Poster

many thanks every1

Original Poster

pistol6000;5133576

try thishttp://www.skyuser.co.uk/tutorials/1464.html

hey thanks very much
    just tryed it this morning & guess what it worked
    again many thanks

no probs:thumbsup: glad u sorted it