Groups

Help. Washing Machine has broken down.

It is a hotpoint front loader. It has just come to a halt and the lights are flashing.I can hear a kinda ticking noise coming from behind the switch panel. lol I can already hear the bomb jokes coming. I may need to call an engineer but if it is going to be expensive I might be better buying a new one. Any help/advice would be much appreciated.

29 Comments

Try and google the model and fault to see if anyone else has had the same problem to try abd get in idea of the cost for repair

Original Poster

DAMNOME;4464545

Try and google the model and fault to see if anyone else has had the same … Try and google the model and fault to see if anyone else has had the same problem to try abd get in idea of the cost for repair

lol. tried that already and didnt get anywhere. gonna go try again.

If you can take the back off, Don't touch anything, the belt may have come off, may need putting back on, see were the clicking is coming from, its a start. Good luck.

Has the water emptied yet? I had a fault with the water not being able to pump out - turned out it was a sock that had ended up in the tube. This caused the programme knob to continually turn and not go on to the next part of the cycle.

I think the clicking is the timer movement inside telling the machine what action to do next in the wash cycle - wash, rinse, spin etc.

Original Poster

mike07071964;4464570

If you can take the back off, Don't touch anything, the belt may have … If you can take the back off, Don't touch anything, the belt may have come off, may need putting back on, see were the clicking is coming from, its a start. Good luck.

I`ll go and try that and see if it is the belt.:thumbsup:

thanks guys for your help I`ll let you know how it goes.

umanga;4464597

I think the clicking is the timer movement inside telling the machine … I think the clicking is the timer movement inside telling the machine what action to do next in the wash cycle - wash, rinse, spin etc.

That's what happened with mine - sock stuck in the tube...:oops: - unable to pump out the water

Original Poster

t1nker;4464594

Has the water emptied yet? I had a fault with the water not being able to … Has the water emptied yet? I had a fault with the water not being able to pump out - turned out it was a sock that had ended up in the tube. This caused the programme knob to continually turn and not go on to the next part of the cycle.

no. it didn`t even get as far a washing. it was just letting some water in and stopped:-(

Oh... Doesn't sound like what I had a problem with. Hope you get it sorted.

Regards

Look at the manual and see what the warning lights flashing actually means.

Sound's the same as what happend to mine, turn it of at the mains jig it around a bit give the hose a bit of a wiggle and try it again it worked for me.... sound's mad I know

t1nker;4464633

That's what happened with mine - sock stuck in the tube...:oops: - unable … That's what happened with mine - sock stuck in the tube...:oops: - unable to pump out the water

my machine was the same didnt realise there was a thing that you undid on front of machine and it was like a filter managed to collect 24p, part of sock and lots of fluffy stuff now machine is working like new only had machine four years lol

Original Poster

moob;4464724

Look at the manual and see what the warning lights flashing actually … Look at the manual and see what the warning lights flashing actually means.

lol.. can I find that flippin book................noooooooooooooooooooooo:viking: You`d think I`d have learned by now to keep these things.:? We`re trying to get the top off it at the moment.. Oh what a job. Unscrewed the screws at back,there`s none at the front,but although it lifts at the back the front wont budge. we`ve tried pushing it forward that, doesnt seem to work.

Post the model number and the flash sequence so we can have a look on google for you. :thumbsup:

rosie2008;4464840

lol.. can I find that flippin … lol.. can I find that flippin book................noooooooooooooooooooooo:viking: You`d think I`d have learned by now to keep these things.:? We`re trying to get the top off it at the moment.. Oh what a job. Unscrewed the screws at back,there`s none at the front,but although it lifts at the back the front wont budge. we`ve tried pushing it forward that, doesnt seem to work.

Usually slides back to come off on some machines. :thumbsup:

Original Poster

esq3585;4464862

Usually slides back to come off on some machines. :thumbsup:

thanks:thumbsup:. its off now. its intermittent lights. all different if you know what i mean. The ticking is coming from the back. not the front where the switches are. the belt looks ok from what we can see. it is a hotpoint aquarius wf541

Original Poster

:? ticking has changed to clicking and its coming from the back of the drum:?

Does the drum move around freely?

]Here's the link to your manual.

Page 18 and 19 for Troubleshooting.

Original Poster

shauneco;4465055

Does the drum move around freely?

no. Nothing is going at all.:?

moob;4465061

]Here's the link to your manual.Page 18 and 19 for Troubleshooting.

Thanks moob:thumbsup: The clicking seems to be coming from a round black box kinda like a battery with some wires going in. Have been trying to get some info online.
    rep given for your help thanks.

Could be the motor that's gone.

All the best and good luck getting it fixed.

Original Poster

Hi guys, I managed to find a coin in the filter but its still not working.
    It now lets the water in and looks as if it is going to work:) but then when the machine itself is supposed to start doing anything it just clicks and ticks:roll:. Drum not moving at all.
    Decision now is. Do I call in someone to fix it. Or buy a new one:roll:

check a hairclip or something similar hasn't gone into one of the holes in the drum and is stopping it turning.

If it is nothing obviousthen just get a new one but not a Hotpoint!! My mum has to have someone out to fix her machine every 3 weeks (no I'm not exaggerating!) and the only reason she has not replaced it is that they got a maintenance contract with it which means they have had hundreds of pounds worth of repairs for only a few quid a month.
    Even the hotpoint repair man said to never get a another hotpoint but then he may just be sick of seeing my mum!!
    Good luck & hope its nothing too expensive! :thumbsup:

Original Poster

kingy58;4465816

check a hairclip or something similar hasn't gone into one of the holes … check a hairclip or something similar hasn't gone into one of the holes in the drum and is stopping it turning.

:? drum turns manually ok but just wont do the programme.

Original Poster

BargainQueenNo1;4465939

If it is nothing obviousthen just get a new one but not a Hotpoint!! My … If it is nothing obviousthen just get a new one but not a Hotpoint!! My mum has to have someone out to fix her machine every 3 weeks (no I'm not exaggerating!) and the only reason she has not replaced it is that they got a maintenance contract with it which means they have had hundreds of pounds worth of repairs for only a few quid a month.Even the hotpoint repair man said to never get a another hotpoint but then he may just be sick of seeing my mum!!Good luck & hope its nothing too expensive! :thumbsup:

That`s ridiculous. I think its just your luck with washing machines.:roll:I had an indesit before this one and it didn`t last long so said I wouldn`t get another one of those. Then when I took the top off this one...................one of the parts inside says indesit:roll:

Has the drum filled to the correct level? The water level should be visible at the bottom of the door glass. If the water has filled to the correct level and the drum is not turning it sounds as if the motor controller has failed. ]Here is a description. This is a costly part, unfortunately, and could cost up to £100.

rosie2008;4466017

That`s ridiculous. I think its just your luck with washing … That`s ridiculous. I think its just your luck with washing machines.:roll:I had an indesit before this one and it didn`t last long so said I wouldn`t get another one of those. Then when I took the top off this one...................one of the parts inside says indesit:roll:

Indesit, Hotpoint and several other well known brands are all manufactured by Merloni in Italy.

Original Poster

pugw$sh;4466147

Has the drum filled to the correct level? The water level should be … Has the drum filled to the correct level? The water level should be visible at the bottom of the door glass. If the water has filled to the correct level and the drum is not turning it sounds as if the motor controller has failed. ]Here is a description. This is a costly part, unfortunately, and could cost up to £100.

mmm. It lets a little water in and then it is supposed to rotate before it lets some more in if you know what i mean. So..............................it is only letting the first amount of water in and then just comes to a halt cos it cant rotate. Think you might be right about the motor controller. Looks like I`ll just have to get a new machine:roll: Many thanks for your help. No rep left at the mo but will send you some when I can.:)
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …4812290
      2. TEKKEN goes mobile (iOS/Andorid)616
      3. Best advert ever to be seen.2125
      4. Samsung Note 81017

See more discussions