Help - wasp attack!!!!

Banned
A while ago I noticed we had a wasp nest in the soffit boards on the Apex side of the house. They are basically under the facia/sofia and cut off from the house by brickwork. (ie I cant get access to them from the loft.)

Anyway, at the time, I bought some wasp spray, which I battered the entrance with and took cover (several times! The stuff I bought though is not too clever. OK it kills them, but need the stuff that you spray on the entrance as a powder and they unwittingly take it back to the nest. Ive been looking, but cant find it.

Anyone know what its called or where to get it from? I think its a white powder?

Ive left this so long - I now am pretty certain its now more than one nest. I know I can call the council, but they'd charge a fortune for each nest they find! Besides, shortly I will be renewing all the facia - so obviously need to kill; them off before I get that done. And once done, problem over for good, cos the nests can be removed and everything will be sealed off.

Been promped to ask - as my computer room is in the garage - and they obviously have some sort of route in here! Keep having to duck for cover evey now and then from being buzzed by an angry one thats trapped! (Boy they go loopy when they're angry!) Probably having to deal with 1 or 2 per day - so I really need to sort this before someone (apart from me!!!) gets stung. Only once so far - but that was my fault as it landed near me and I put my hand on it without realising!

19 Comments

Banned

ggod luck guv, i wouldnt go near any nest myself im afraid this is one of those times i would have to waste a little money and pay someone else :oops:

Original Poster Banned

sassie

ggod luck guv, i wouldnt go near any nest myself im afraid this is one of … ggod luck guv, i wouldnt go near any nest myself im afraid this is one of those times i would have to waste a little money and pay someone else :oops:

Yeh, but I'm a tight wad and I'm picturing them as cute and cuddly when I go near! To be honest Im lucky in that where they are, I can get access and make a speedy escape. ie put my hand around the corner from my garage roof. They wont even see me! (I hope!!!!:oops: ) (he says with a mouthfull of wasp stings!) :giggle:

Banned

your nuts, good luck :thumbsup:

Original Poster Banned

sassie

your nuts, good luck :thumbsup:

Oh. Hopefully not there! :w00t:

Banned

guv

Oh. Hopefully not there! :w00t:

:giggle: :giggle: :giggle: then you will be wishing you followed sassies advice;-)

Original Poster Banned

dcx_badass

I had a small one in my shed, Council wanted £70 rang a few in the yellow … I had a small one in my shed, Council wanted £70 rang a few in the yellow pages, got it done for £30 in the end. Oh and the next day, the council said it would take around two weeks.

yeh, I think our council want £70 PER NEST! Judging by the fact they always seemed to enter at the same place (and now also go in further up) Im sure it would be more than one. Besides, the side of my house and access gate, they'd probably say they want scaffolding cos they dont like heights and ladders!

Original Poster Banned

sassie

:giggle: :giggle: :giggle: then you will be wishing you followed sassies … :giggle: :giggle: :giggle: then you will be wishing you followed sassies advice;-)

I think you could be right there!

They'll all die off soon due to the winter and they don't return to old nests. I got one in my loft from 2 years ago. Looks like a deformed football.

i had one in my shed during the summer (well thats what it was suposed to have been) lol

well anyway iwouldnt pay out the price they wanted to i blocked off every access to the nest and stayed outside with hoover in hand and sucked up the little blighters, and over a few weeks they eventually stoped coming by.

and must have been bout two months and checking the nest it had died and was able to remove it.

Paddy_o_furniture

They'll all die off soon due to the winter and they don't return to old … They'll all die off soon due to the winter and they don't return to old nests. I got one in my loft from 2 years ago. Looks like a deformed football.

I thought that the Queens hibernate? If they all died over winter then there would be no wasps left. :?

I have a nest in my kitchen roof which they access through an air-brick, I have 5/6 at any one time in my kitchen, they don't bother me though. Live and let live.

i woke up 2 yrs ago to the sound of buzzing, in the corner of my livingroom was a load of wasps! and i am phobic of them. Id rather you than me tackling them, seriously id pay ANY amount of money to get rid of them!

Original Poster Banned

Paddy_o_furniture

They'll all die off soon due to the winter and they don't return to old … They'll all die off soon due to the winter and they don't return to old nests. I got one in my loft from 2 years ago. Looks like a deformed football.

But the queen doesnt die. They may not use the same nest, but if they like the location, they build one next door ie within a couple of feet!

Ive actually already dealt a blow to waspkind this year. When I noticed this one, I found we also had one in the kids playfort (a huge construction - with ground floor room. They were easy to deal with. The "room" acting as an area for the spray not to escape. 2 or 3 sprays and they were no more.

This one though, I need the powder so they take it back to the nest. I want that queen stone dead too! (Sorry to the royalists out there!!!):whistling:

Taken from MSE site

DON'T CALL ANYONE OUT!!!!!!!Get off to Woolies and get a container of ANT … DON'T CALL ANYONE OUT!!!!!!!Get off to Woolies and get a container of ANT POWDER. It has Permethrin in it, same as council stuff.Do it in the LATE EVENING when they're not flying.Puff it around the area the wasps are coming in/out from. (They pick it up on their bodies and transfer it around the nest). You can't puff the container upwards, as we found out, so maybe work out a way of tipping it from another container if need be. This is serious stuff...... COVER YOURSELF UP AND DO NOT INHALE!Sister did this last year for a wasp nest in her eaves and an ant nest lower down - nothing at all to see the next day - ALL GONE!

Original Poster Banned

stora

Taken from MSE site

Cheers for that. I knew it was a white powder, but had no idea what it was called. Not sure how Im going to be able to "puff it" upwards though! Need some sort of bellow type thing!

Rep added!:thumbsup:

guv

Cheers for that. I knew it was a white powder, but had no idea what it … Cheers for that. I knew it was a white powder, but had no idea what it was called. Not sure how Im going to be able to "puff it" upwards though! Need some sort of bellow type thing!Rep added!:thumbsup:

Fill up a Super Soaker with the powder and go all Nam on them. :roll:

Had a wasp nest a few years back. Just blasted it with the hose until it came apart then gassed the leftovers with a fly spray.

Oppss been AWOL for a while ... hope this help.

Permethrin would probably do the trick but it is a pyrethroid which tend to be quick acting hissy fitting poisons. Hence the insect gets it on itself and flips about crazy like a fly with a shot of fly spray. Not the best thing because I take it you can't access the nest directly so you want the powder taken back to the nest. Carbamates such as bendiocarb are slower acting and consequently you are going to get the workers carrying the powder back to the nest and killing the queen. What the powder is called is not really important more make sure it has a carbamate pesticide (most things for treating soil bugs will be carbamate based). That said this late on in the season the queen will probably be either dead or near it so a pyrethroid powder could do the trick.

Finally: take care using these around fish and cats. Can be very toxic to both.

I recommend you use a flamethrower:

http://www.pipersprecisionproducts.com/images/MVC-Flame.JPG

Or if you want it gone in a second then an RPG will do the trick:

http://homepage2.nifty.com/patriot/rpg-7.jpeg

(P.S. may cause serious damage)

SK07

I recommend you use a flamethrower:Or if you want it gone in a second … I recommend you use a flamethrower:Or if you want it gone in a second then an RPG will do the trick:(P.S. may cause serious damage)

Lmao and may also lose not just the wasp nest, but also half the house!

hhhehe it be safer to move house! LOL
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Cheapo tips for around the home. Aka "life hacks"2141
    2. jeremy hunt £44.000 for a new bathroom ??1212
    3. so sick of this summer weather enough .......1929
    4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7763947

See more discussions