EXPIRED

Help! Wedding List ideas needed!

Ok, so I'm getting married in July 2009, we already have a house, dog, car and everything else that goes with it. Asking for money has been frowned upon by the family in-laws during others weddings so thats out of the question.

Basically, I want an upgrade on basics (as its not us thats paying for it!), decent quality, reliable and reasonably priced - so, can anyone recommend any good make/models for the following -

Kettle (Crome)
Toaster (4 slice, Crome)
Microwave (Crome)
Iron
Knife block
Cutlery set
Steamer (not too big, Crome)
Break maker (not too big, Crome)

Its a nighmare!

Thanks,

Beckie

15 Comments

another idea is to ask for gift vouchers for a travel agents (just make sure everyone gets them for the same one :lol: ) we've had quite a few friends/family who have done this if they already have everything they need for their home :thumbsup:

Original Poster

mikebike;4781700

Dualit do nice ranges of stuffhttp://www.dualit.com/index2.htm

Yeah, I love the toasters but not too keen on the kettles, good call though!

when we got married we were the same as you we asked for cash but explained it was going to be towards the conservatory do you need one of them or maybe windows that way people wont frown upon it as much, also the thing with gift vouchers is the restriction, i have been to a few weddings and brought travel vouchers you could always do with a holiday - remember its your wedding everyone will have an opinion however ignore it and do and ask for what you guys want - good luck with the wedding

gift vouchers, were in the same boat, so i said ikea or argos vouchers or a small gift if people dont want to get u vouchers.

beckie_miller;4781783

Yeah, I love the toasters but not too keen on the kettles, good call … Yeah, I love the toasters but not too keen on the kettles, good call though!

I have a Dualit Lite toaster and a jug kettle shown in that link,why don't you like the kettles ?

Original Poster

deb8z;4781969

I have a Dualit Lite toaster and a jug kettle shown in that link,why … I have a Dualit Lite toaster and a jug kettle shown in that link,why don't you like the kettles ?

I'm not so keen on the lid, was looking at something more like this direct.tesco.com/pro…422

M&S do a nice range-and you can always take them back if you don't like what you've been bought ! I've got a great steamer from there-a chrome one-recommend it to anyone.

Someone at work did a breakdown of the honeymoon into mini packages & got people to 'buy' those for them - eg. Sunset cruise, meal at posh restaurant, upgrade to the honeymoon suite, day trip out etc.

Went down OK with most people as you felt you were buying them something rather than just giving cash.

We got married in November and didn't ask for gifts, we told people that we appreciate how expensive it can be to attend a wedding and as we already had a house each which we were having to amalgamate after the wedding to move in together, we didn't need anything. That meant people didn't feel obligated to buy us gifts, so anything we got was great We got some money, some vouchers, some tat and a lot of nothing, but it's not about presents anyway

Enjoy your day!

Breville TT49 toaster is very nice and user friendly - less than £30 too

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31747kvYs4L._SL500_AA236_.jpg

Tefal Ultimate Autoclean irons are very very good indeed and start around £60 - no more catching clothes on dirty sole plates with these! A good iron is definitely one of those things that it's worth going more uprange with.

[LEFT] http://www.dixons.co.uk/product/500/UV/739404.jpg

I don't feel well enough qualified to make anything more than general recommendations for the other items so:

Kettle - avoid Kenwood as every one I've had has fallen apart to some degree or other in fairly short order. Probably something by Russell Hobbs more upmarket range would be a good idea.

Microwave - they're pretty much all the same for the basic stuff that it will spend most of its life doing but Sharp has a good reputation for long life.

Knife block - I know there's a good value but decent quality set by Prestige for around £25 but don't have it myself

[IMG]coopersdirect.com/ima…php?image=14pce_knifeblockset.jpg[/IMG]

Cutlery set - Viners produce some very good sets and some not so good - go for one in 18/10 stainless steel (rather than 18/0) for long life, lasting shine etc etc - they cost more but are worth it.

Sorry, I haven't a clue about steamers or breadmakers.

Good luck!
[/LEFT]

We're going on a cruise for our honeymoon but the excursions are very expensive. we have given our gusts a list of the excursions and suggested that they might like to contribute to these, seems to be going down well with everyone. I think as long as people know the money isn't just for your savings account, but to something specific you would ike, then they are happy to help.

Original Poster

andythebrave;4784102

Breville TT49 toaster is very nice and user friendly - less than £30 … Breville TT49 toaster is very nice and user friendly - less than £30 tooTefal Ultimate Autoclean irons are very very good indeed and start around £60 - no more catching clothes on dirty sole plates with these! A good iron is definitely one of those things that it's worth going more uprange with.[LEFT] I don't feel well enough qualified to make anything more than general recommendations for the other items so:Kettle - avoid Kenwood as every one I've had has fallen apart to some degree or other in fairly short order. Probably something by Russell Hobbs more upmarket range would be a good idea.Microwave - they're pretty much all the same for the basic stuff that it will spend most of its life doing but Sharp has a good reputation for long life.Knife block - I know there's a good value but decent quality set by Prestige for around £25 but don't have it myself[IMG]http://www.coopersdirect.com/imageview.php?image=14pce_knifeblockset.jpg[/IMG]Cutlery set - Viners produce some very good sets and some not so good - go for one in 18/10 stainless steel (rather than 18/0) for long life, lasting shine etc etc - they cost more but are worth it.Sorry, I haven't a clue about steamers or breadmakers.Good luck! [/LEFT]

I love that toaster, are they a good make?! And the iron, is that a good make, I was looking at Bosch?

There's not a lot between toasters - tbh none will make it as well as a good grill but I've had no issues at all with my Breville. The adjustment of browning by selecting a number with a button though involves far less guesswork than turning a knob which can be easily dislodged from the proper position.

I've had both Philips and Tefal irons over the years and can say that the one thing definitely worth hacving is a sole plate that either resists picking up dirt (like when it's too hot and melts synthetic material!) or is easy to clean with a simple wipe down. Currently I have a Tefal Virtuose (now superceded by the range I mentioned above) which hardly picks up anything at all and, when it does, is very easy to wipe down with the smooth side of one of those kitchen scourer things (slightly damp). I don't know about Bosch irons, the make itself is generally reliable though.

Original Poster

andythebrave;4787027

There's not a lot between toasters - tbh none will make it as well as a … There's not a lot between toasters - tbh none will make it as well as a good grill but I've had no issues at all with my Breville. The adjustment of browning by selecting a number with a button though involves far less guesswork than turning a knob which can be easily dislodged from the proper position.I've had both Philips and Tefal irons over the years and can say that the one thing definitely worth hacving is a sole plate that either resists picking up dirt (like when it's too hot and melts synthetic material!) or is easy to clean with a simple wipe down. Currently I have a Tefal Virtuose (now superceded by the range I mentioned above) which hardly picks up anything at all and, when it does, is very easy to wipe down with the smooth side of one of those kitchen scourer things (slightly damp). I don't know about Bosch irons, the make itself is generally reliable though.

great! thanks for the advise!
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Xbox Live Gold Membership44
    2. seller asked for IMEI55
    3. Wifi extender913
    4. Advertised on Gumtree11

See more discussions