Groups

Help! What gets rid of these moth things?

They aren't exactly moths they are much smaller and my house is full of them. I have a phobia and can't exactly Google it without images coming up. Anyone know what they might be? I think they eat my clothes I've found tiny holes all over my clothes.

Any suggestions how to nuke them would be much appreciated!

Edit: Added a large pic I can't resize and it's making my skin crawl... will remove it whenever it's identified and I can get rid of the lot...

23 Comments

Flying ants?

Original Poster

thedvdmonster

Flying ants?

​Nope, I know what those look like. These really look like moths but they are way smaller

Do you have a picture? Might assist with identification

Moths eat clothes
    *their larvae actually
    Edited by: "jco83" 11th Jun

Original Poster

Sorry I don't know how to resize.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DCCHxRDXgAAV-2w.jpg
    Edited by: "Silverphoenix" 11th Jun

Looks like a clothes moth to me?
    ('freaky' pic removed at op's request)

Edited by: "chuckiedoll" 11th Jun

Original Poster

chuckiedoll

Do you have a picture? Might assist with identification

Get rid of the pic!! It's freaking me out!! And it doesn't look like that this is way small and less fuzzy!

Silverphoenix

Get rid of the pic!! It's freaking me out!! And it doesn't look like that … Get rid of the pic!! It's freaking me out!! And it doesn't look like that this is way small and less fuzzy!

Ah, but that is an extreme close up!
    https://media.giphy.com/media/13cXQYDrCrdFU4/giphy.gif

Original Poster

chuckiedoll

Ah, but that is an extreme close up!

And I have a heart condition and that didn't help

If it's any consolation, I have had them too. Bloomin' annoying little blighters.
    They tend to appear at this time of year.

Original Poster

chuckiedoll

If it's any consolation, I have had them too. Bloomin' annoying little … If it's any consolation, I have had them too. Bloomin' annoying little blighters.They tend to appear at this time of year.

​I don't think they are those though as I've had them for a year and a half now and seems to be more and the fly in your face. Don't even seem attracted to light because I watch my iPad in the dark and they don't fly into the screen like mosquitoes do...

Probably have carpet moths......I've just used this on a house that I rent out and no sign of them since treating a couple of months ago:

amazon.co.uk/Aca…9EE

Make sure you don't get one in your ear

http://brightcove.vo.llnwd.net/e1/pd/4221396001/4221396001_3850933567001_Moth2.jpg?pubId=4221396001

Ok. Definitely agree with choc. Carpet moth!

They are carpet moths. They will eat and reproduce in carpet (wool rich, not man made) but will opt for natural fibre clothes also. Notoriously difficult to get rid of. You need to buy some carpet spray and moth traps, available from Amazon or other commercial outlets. Also leave windows open on warmer days. We had these a couple of years ago and it took 12 months to get rid. I subsequently found out that I had inadvertently brought them to my home from a hotel I used to stay in regularly with work.

Original Poster

choc1969

Probably have carpet moths......I've just used this on a house that I … Probably have carpet moths......I've just used this on a house that I rent out and no sign of them since treating a couple of months ago:https://www.amazon.co.uk/Acana-2923-1-Carpet-Lavender-Freshener/dp/B00E8I39EE

​I think you might be right. They are like really small and just everywhere right now but mostly active at night. Do you know how they come about?

Original Poster

mikeee5

They are carpet moths. They will eat and reproduce in carpet (wool rich, … They are carpet moths. They will eat and reproduce in carpet (wool rich, not man made) but will opt for natural fibre clothes also. Notoriously difficult to get rid of. You need to buy some carpet spray and moth traps, available from Amazon or other commercial outlets. Also leave windows open on warmer days. We had these a couple of years ago and it took 12 months to get rid. I subsequently found out that I had inadvertently brought them to my home from a hotel I used to stay in regularly with work.

​Oh so they were in your clothes that you brought home? Are these like bedbugs? Am looking at sprays at the moment just wasn't totally sure they were carpet moths. I assumed after winter these would have died out but it's been a whole year and there are still just as many.

mikeee536 m ago

They are carpet moths. They will eat and reproduce in carpet (wool rich, …They are carpet moths. They will eat and reproduce in carpet (wool rich, not man made) but will opt for natural fibre clothes also. Notoriously difficult to get rid of. You need to buy some carpet spray and moth traps, available from Amazon or other commercial outlets. Also leave windows open on warmer days. We had these a couple of years ago and it took 12 months to get rid. I subsequently found out that I had inadvertently brought them to my home from a hotel I used to stay in regularly with work.

Agreed, carpet moths, had them in my last house, they prefer dark, undisturbed areas that you can't reach with the vacuum cleaner, such as under and behind wardrobes, didn't realise how much damage they'd done until I moved the furniture out... several bald patches in the carpet! I thought moths only attacked wool but I noticed tiny little holes in some of my cotton clothes as well, mainly things I didn't wear very often.
    Do as mikee5 suggests and treat it asap.
    Edited by: "Delbert.Grady" 11th Jun

Original Poster

Delbert.Grady

Agreed, carpet moths, had them in my last house, they prefer dark, … Agreed, carpet moths, had them in my last house, they prefer dark, undisturbed areas that you can't reach with the vacuum cleaner, such as under and behind wardrobes, didn't realise how much damage they'd done until I moved the furniture out... several bald patches in the carpet! I thought moths only attacked wool but I noticed tiny little holes in some of my cotton clothes as well, mainly things I didn't wear very often.Do as mikee5 suggests and treat it asap.

Yes I noticed too my cotton clothes have tiny holes in them and you can tell they aren't tears as they aren't at the seams but smack in the middle! I've ordered the spray as was suggested so I'll hopefully have these stupid bugs out soon. Thanks everyone!

Kill it with fire.

(joke)

ive had these and had to treat the whole house. if you just do a room or upstairs theyll probably come back. i blitzed
    the house took me a full day and we had to leave for s few hours but did the trick. got the stuff here pestcontrolsupermarket.com/.

Silverphoenix

Yes I noticed too my cotton clothes have tiny holes in them and you can … Yes I noticed too my cotton clothes have tiny holes in them and you can tell they aren't tears as they aren't at the seams but smack in the middle! I've ordered the spray as was suggested so I'll hopefully have these stupid bugs out soon. Thanks everyone!

I would pop one in a glass jar or some other sealable clear bottle and pop down to your local environmental health office at your local council.
    Its important to properly identify so that you can be sure to purchase the correct treatment.
    From previous experience with common clothes moths, it may be worth opting for proffesional treatment. We paid £45 for first treatment and then £30 for any required follow ups.
    Good luck.
    A nightmare to get rid if they are common clothes moth, tend to come back every year when the weather warms up.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Best graphics card between £100-£15011
      2. Upgrading qacoustic speaker setup35
      3. Need Some Help Connecting An Old Laptop To A New TV23
      4. buy to let mortgage44

See more discussions