Groups

Help - what is the difference between region 2 & 3 when ordering a DVD?

Just in the process of ordering a DVD from CD Wow! and there are choices of 3 regions - 1, 2, & 3 with prices varying quite a bit between them.

I understand Region 1 is USA but what is the difference between 2 & 3?

Sorry if I am asking a stupid question but I am confused!

17 Comments

Always best off sticking with R2 if your unsure, some R3s are copies, not all, but even the legit ones look ropey print quality wise lol

Region code Area
    0 Informal term meaning "worldwide". Region 0 is not an official setting; discs that bear the region 0 symbol either have no flag set or have region 1–6 flags set.
    1 Northern America; U.S. territories; Bermuda
    2 Europe; Western Asia; Kingdom of the Netherlands; Egypt, Japan, Lesotho, South Africa, Swaziland; British overseas territories, French overseas territories; Greenland
    3 East and Southeast Asia
    4 Oceania; Latin America, Caribbean
    5 Africa; Central and South Asia; Belarus, Mongolia, North Korea, Russia, Ukraine
    6 Mainland China
    7 Reserved for future use (found in use on protected screener copies of MPAA-related DVDs and "media copies" of pre-releases in Asia)
    8 International venues such as aircraft, cruise ships, etc.[1]
    ALL Region ALL discs have all 8 flags set, allowing the disc to be played in any locale on any player.

Original Poster

Thank you both so much for your swift help, repped both :thumbsup:

Banned

Yeah R2 europe.....
    You can also use R4 (Australia as there PAL too)

Why dont you google theses things instead of posting its much quicker and less annoying

Banned

jellybaby22;2225488

i have found with a few(not all) region 3 dvds the sound quality is not … i have found with a few(not all) region 3 dvds the sound quality is not as good.

Agree with that....think its something to do with the encoding

Familia;2225495

Why dont you google theses things instead of posting its much quicker and … Why dont you google theses things instead of posting its much quicker and less annoying

ok dears 47 posts and your attacking one of the nicest people here..leave her alone its in misc so she can post whatever she likes :thumbsup:

Banned

Familia;2225495

Why dont you google theses things instead of posting its much quicker and … Why dont you google theses things instead of posting its much quicker and less annoying

Why is that annoying? Doesn't annoy me in the slightest....happy to help + Suze is lovely

If someone doesn't know and wants basics not all websites are as easier to read as someone giving basic info....

Suze may not know about these things, but she may also know things I don't so whats the problem?

Original Poster

Familia;2225495

because this is part of what HUKDs is about - people helping each other

Banned

suze;2225521

because this is part of what HUKDs is about - people helping each other

Agreed....

Familia;2225495

The question is plainly in the thread. You don't have to read the thread! It's much quicker to just ignore these threads, if you have no interest. It's also less annoying! :whistling:

Familia;2225495

Quicker than 2/3 minutes, when you have to frame precisely the question for google? I don't think so, and - as you see ^^^- you get additional valid info. We like to help each other out- it isn't annoying at all. Try it sometime.

If your DVD player is not multi-regional, you might find an unlocking code here
    videohelp.com/dvd…rch

Banned

Predikuesi;2225693

If your DVD player is not multi-regional, you might find an unlocking … If your DVD player is not multi-regional, you might find an unlocking code herehttp://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks?dvdplayer=philips+dvdr3480&hits=50&Search=Search

thats a good point actually, Suze do you know if your DVD is multi-region or not?

Original Poster

ODB_69;2225724

thats a good point actually, Suze do you know if your DVD is multi-region … thats a good point actually, Suze do you know if your DVD is multi-region or not?

it's a gift for someone else, based on the advise given here I have ordered a region 2 issue. Thanks for all the help, knew I could rely on you guys! :thumbsup:

Banned

suze;2225781

it's a gift for someone else, based on the advise given here I have … it's a gift for someone else, based on the advise given here I have ordered a region 2 issue. Thanks for all the help, knew I could rely on you guys! :thumbsup:

no worries, anything for you mate x

Familia;2225495

You really have misjudged this site and the Misc board in particular.
    Its a little community and one of the good points is that rather than sift through Google and think of how to phrase your question there is always helpful people that you can turn to on the site.
    Suze is one of them and as such people are happy and glad to help.

Look at the extra info (I learnt a few Regions myself) the unlock details that members have provided all useful stuff :thumbsup:

crow99;2225869

You really have misjudged this site and the Misc board in particular.Its … You really have misjudged this site and the Misc board in particular.Its a little community and one of the good points is that rather than sift through Google and think of how to phrase your question there is always helpful people that you can turn to on the site.Suze is one of them and as such people are happy and glad to help.Look at the extra info (I learnt a few Regions myself) the unlock details that members have provided all useful stuff :thumbsup:

Spot on. Members have given some good advice to help me out with some questions. Google cannot give that personal and friendly touch.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767129
      2. Royal Mail chat says I am not allowed to send paper of any kind to Hong Kon…1831
      3. In-store receipt cashback - Shopitize, TopCashBack's 'Groceries', Quidco's …2599
      4. TechInTheBasket?69

See more discussions