HELP! Will a ADSL 2 D-link DSL-924 work with Virgin broadband???

Found 21st Apr 2008
Just bought and received a Dlink DSL-924 for the father in law because of the price but have just realised its says "designed for ADSL". Does this mean I couldn't use it with a Virgin Broadband router? He wants to use wireless.

I haven't broken the seal on box to try as I wont be able to send it back to Misco. Please help - Im clueless about ADSL.

I need to find out sharpish as if it doesnt work I'll need to send back.

Thanks in advance>

10 Comments

You mean Virgin cable or ADSL? as it wont work with cable of course but will with ADSL

adsl will work fine
if the router is adsl2+ and your line is only adsl then the router will drop down.

Original Poster

Thanks but er........ok bare with me.

The father in law is getting a Virgin cable broadband box in the post for me to install (great)
Ive bought a DSL-924 ADSL 2/2+ router kit. this has 4 10/100Mbps Ethernet ports.

So I want to connect Virgin Cable to a ADSL 2/2+ router to go wireless. He will eventually want to connect 2 laptops. Will it work or am I off to post office tomo???

The dlink would just be for an adsl line not cable.
You would need to be looking at getting an "wireless router" and not the adsl part..But you need to make sure that the cable router is able to connect via say ethernet to another router

If ADSL nope as ADSL is different than cable

You can use and ADSL router as a cable router. just leave the WAN (phone / RJ11) socket unconnected, and connect the ethernet (RJ45) from the cable modem into one of the LAN ports, and use it as a switch, with the other PCs connected to the other LAN ports

Original Poster

Thanks - will the ADSL router still act as a firewall? Will 2 or more computers be able to connect wirelessly to the ADSL router?

I should correct myself there, the cable modem needs to be one that has routing ability built into it and a DHCP server, else you still won't be able to share the connection. some cable modems are essentially 1 port routers, those will work, but if its a more basic one, it won't.

Sorry that just occured to me, if you haven't broken the seal you're probably better swapping it, cable routers tend to be about a tenner cheaper anyway.

Original Poster

ok thanks - i'll send it back to avoid any future issues. Unfortunatly I bought this router as it was £10 cheaper than the cable router I have.

bruffterman;1941164

You can use and ADSL router as a cable router. just leave the WAN (phone … You can use and ADSL router as a cable router. just leave the WAN (phone / RJ11) socket unconnected, and connect the ethernet (RJ45) from the cable modem into one of the LAN ports, and use it as a switch, with the other PCs connected to the other LAN ports

This will work but... no you probably wont have any firewall protection from it as the firewall will be monitoring the "external" port ie the dsl connection
Dont know bout the virgin box but that might have a firewall in, ask the virgin support guys
Post a comment
@
    Text