help: windows 10 wifi issue

Found 22nd Sep 2017
right i've been using windows 10 on my laptop for about 18months & not had this issue but a few days ago it started.
My internet will randomly disconnect for no reason (works fine on all other devices). at first it would just disconnect & i'd be able to reconnect by clicking on the wifi symbol in the taskbar & selecting the right network but now when the disconnect happens when I click the wifi signal icon instead of them all being listed it just shows wifi & aeroplane mode.
i've tried looking online for some fixes & tried a couple but since this is reoccuring they clearly have not worked.
this time i had to go into settings & troubleshoot & i got a message saying "windows wireless service not working"

anyone any ideas of a permanenet fix or what might be causing this?

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
10 Comments

Is this on your home router or everywhere? If on your home router, try rebooting it.

Does intermittent fault only happens with one wifi connection router/hub/AP or with more than one wifi connection device?
Then this would be my checklist as a starter-for-ten if intermittence is with all of the devices.
support.microsoft.com/en-…sue

On the basis that it is your PC then the network adapter is worth more attention, I would uninstall the network drivers and let Windows 10 re-install automatically, failing this, download the latest drivers for your make and model of wifi- adapter.
Edited by: "splender" 22nd Sep 2017

I had a similar problem about a month ago and it seems one of the recent updates was causing the problem. I uninstalled the updates installed over the past 2 weeks and it fixed the problem.

Windows will automatically reinstall the updates however and you can't disable it.

A workaround that fixed my problem was setting my wifi to metered connection in which case it doesn't automatically install updates.

astreix1 h, 8 m ago

I had a similar problem about a month ago and it seems one of the recent …I had a similar problem about a month ago and it seems one of the recent updates was causing the problem. I uninstalled the updates installed over the past 2 weeks and it fixed the problem.Windows will automatically reinstall the updates however and you can't disable it.A workaround that fixed my problem was setting my wifi to metered connection in which case it doesn't automatically install updates.

That's a cure worse than the problem, you need to get on to the system or wi-fi card manufacturer to update the drivers if they're not compatible with the latest version.

Have you checked your log files to see what windows reports when wifi disconnects.

Original Poster

kester7623rd Sep

Have you checked your log files to see what windows reports when wifi …Have you checked your log files to see what windows reports when wifi disconnects.

how do i go about doing that?

little_green2 h, 18 m ago

how do i go about doing that?

dummies.com/com…10/

You can access them through event viewer. Surprised you've not used it before as it gives information about what's happening with the OS when it goes wrong.

Original Poster

kester761 h, 3 m ago

http://www.dummies.com/computers/operating-systems/windows-10/how-to-use-event-viewer-in-windows-10/You can access them through event viewer. Surprised you've not used it before as it gives information about what's happening with the OS when it goes wrong.

i'm in but what exactly am i looking for?

little_green8 m ago

i'm in but what exactly am i looking for?

Anything erroneous from the time the wifi disconnects. Sometimes it gives you a heads up about what happened.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions