Help with a BMW 3 SERIES 2.0 320d Exclusive Touring

Found 24th Sep 2015
Evening.
Any BMW 3 series owners in hukd land?

I Had a test drive of a BMW 3 SERIES 2.0 320d Exclusive Touring 2011 plate, today and I noticed the gear stick shakes when idle. But once you drive off it is fine, Is this normal on this type of car?
I am also looking at the BMW 3 SERIES 318d Touring 2011 plate,is their a massive difference between power on these 2 cars,I know the 0-60 is but was just asking is it noticed in everyday driving?
Thanks for any help.
Community Updates
AskBMW
17 Comments
How many miles on it?

Possibly a Dual Mass Flywheel issue (if its fitted with one.)
Shaking of gearstick is normal on any diesel in idle. My 320d is exactly the same.

The difference in power probably would be noticed and IMHO the 320d is the better engine / split between economy and performance.
I would say normal yes. Dual mass fly wheel wil be noisy on start up and idle if its starting to go. Easiest way to check is to pish clutch halfway and start the car you wil feel the pedal vibrate wuite badly if its knackered. Mite not be possible if you have to press clutch fully to start your car though
Original Poster
katchiib

How many miles on it?Possibly a Dual Mass Flywheel issue (if its fitted … How many miles on it?Possibly a Dual Mass Flywheel issue (if its fitted with one.)

Very high 134,000 and looking it up,I think you are right! But it is only when it is idle!
So if this model as the dual mass flywheel which it looks it does,best to avoid this car!?
Original Poster
ebbz139

Shaking of gearstick is normal on any diesel in idle. My 320d is exactly … Shaking of gearstick is normal on any diesel in idle. My 320d is exactly the same. The difference in power probably would be noticed and IMHO the 320d is the better engine / split between economy and performance.

OK... So does it only shake when idle?
Yes it would seem the much better engine,I am test driving the 318d tomorrow! So I will see the difference then I expect.
Mr cool

Very high 134,000 and looking it up,I think you are right! But it is only … Very high 134,000 and looking it up,I think you are right! But it is only when it is idle!So if this model as the dual mass flywheel which it looks it does,best to avoid this car!?

Yep ide avoid if it sounds suspectly like the flywheel.

Ive an 07 Octavia 2.0 tdi which has a knackered flywheel. Sounds like 2 tractors when at idle, and the whole thing shakes. Im going to get rid of it after the year and wont be buying anything turbo/dual mass flywheel/VAG...

The flywheel is on a long list of problems im having with the car, and would you believe I bought it at 4 years old with one owner and full service history. It had 96k when I bought it and has only 120k now.

The flywheel will (probably) be an expensive part, requires removing the gearbox and whilst its off you may as well replace the clutch too. Big bucks which I can very much gurantee the garage wont do prior to sale.

Next car is japanese petrol for me...
Original Poster
123batman321

I would say normal yes. Dual mass fly wheel wil be noisy on start up and … I would say normal yes. Dual mass fly wheel wil be noisy on start up and idle if its starting to go. Easiest way to check is to pish clutch halfway and start the car you wil feel the pedal vibrate wuite badly if its knackered. Mite not be possible if you have to press clutch fully to start your car though

Tbh... No do not recall any excessive noise and if I go back for this car,I will check all what you say!
Original Poster
katchiib

Yep ide avoid if it sounds suspectly like the flywheel.Ive an 07 Octavia … Yep ide avoid if it sounds suspectly like the flywheel.Ive an 07 Octavia 2.0 tdi which has a knackered flywheel. Sounds like 2 tractors when at idle, and the whole thing shakes. Im going to get rid of it after the year and wont be buying anything turbo/dual mass flywheel/VAG... The flywheel is on a long list of problems im having with the car, and would you believe I bought it at 4 years old with one owner and full service history. It had 96k when I bought it and has only 120k now.The flywheel will (probably) be an expensive part, requires removing the gearbox and whilst its off you may as well replace the clutch too. Big bucks which I can very much gurantee the garage wont do prior to sale.Next car is japanese petrol for me...

Yes you are spot on with the price to change,I have checked since you said about the flywheel!
I guess buying any car is a risk but knowledge of things is a big help,cheers for that!
Mr cool

Yes you are spot on with the price to change,I have checked since you … Yes you are spot on with the price to change,I have checked since you said about the flywheel!I guess buying any car is a risk but knowledge of things is a big help,cheers for that!

To be fair the car has 120k on it. If you have to spend 1200 pound on a car that is 8 yr old and has over 100000 miles is that really that bad? People seem to expect cars to run on forever and have no faults. You can also convert them to single mass flywheel which is much cheaper.
Original Poster
123batman321

To be fair the car has 120k on it. If you have to spend 1200 pound on a … To be fair the car has 120k on it. If you have to spend 1200 pound on a car that is 8 yr old and has over 100000 miles is that really that bad? People seem to expect cars to run on forever and have no faults. You can also convert them to single mass flywheel which is much cheaper.

Yes a good point I guess, things to think about tonight!lol.
123batman321

To be fair the car has 120k on it. If you have to spend 1200 pound on a … To be fair the car has 120k on it. If you have to spend 1200 pound on a car that is 8 yr old and has over 100000 miles is that really that bad? People seem to expect cars to run on forever and have no faults. You can also convert them to single mass flywheel which is much cheaper.

It would be worthwhile if that were the only problem the car has. But...

Turbo is very noisy, sounds like a jet engine on cold mornings and then like a police car following us other times
ABS ECU is bad (had this replaced about 2 years ago but its gone again)
Knocking noise from what I suspect engine mount
2 calipers at back need replaced.

And like I said this is stuff I definately know about, there will be more.

It just scraped through the mot at the begenning of this year and come next year im not going to even bother.

Im not expecting it to last forever and Im not against needing to spend money on it, but the value compared to what it needs dosent make it worth it.
Original Poster
katchiib

It would be worthwhile if that were the only problem the car has. … It would be worthwhile if that were the only problem the car has. But...Turbo is very noisy, sounds like a jet engine on cold mornings and then like a police car following us other timesABS ECU is bad (had this replaced about 2 years ago but its gone again)Knocking noise from what I suspect engine mount2 calipers at back need replaced.And like I said this is stuff I definately know about, there will be more.It just scraped through the mot at the begenning of this year and come next year im not going to even bother.Im not expecting it to last forever and Im not against needing to spend money on it, but the value compared to what it needs dosent make it worth it.

And this company is owned by VW now,with good reviews If I recall right! As you say their does have to be a point when a enough is a enough!
I can see your point wasnt meaning to be rude

If your hearing a knocking noise its probaly a suspension conponent not an engine mount

If an abs module has gone after 2 years you should be entitled to a warranty claim (assuming it was a new dealer part)

Whats up with the calipers?
123batman321

I can see your point wasnt meaning to be rudeIf your hearing a knocking … I can see your point wasnt meaning to be rudeIf your hearing a knocking noise its probaly a suspension conponent not an engine mountIf an abs module has gone after 2 years you should be entitled to a warranty claim (assuming it was a new dealer part) Whats up with the calipers?

No I didnt take it that way, its just there is so much more wrong with the car im actually fed up with it.

The knocking noise im almost sure is the engine mount. I had this replaced at the same time as the abs ecu previously and the exact same "wobbly" knock is back when going over minor bumps as last time.

The last time it happened the mount snapped, the engine leaned to one side, damaged a tensioner and sheared the cam belt in half lenghtwise (if that makes sense). Luckily it didnt snap.

So my wifes brother is a auto mechanic, he arranged to get the car to his work and worked on it as a homer. He replaced the mount/tensioner/cam belt and the abs ecu all for £100. The belt and mount were new but the other parts are from scrap yard. He had a real problem finding an abs ecu as apparently there are a few different ones and the part number for ours he had to ask around a lot to find. Brand new it was going to cost over £300 from skoda for the part. This was just over 2 years ago.

So no warranty on the abs side or mount side of things (actually seems like an inherent fault on my car these two things).

Plus two rear calipers are binding so need to be replaced.

Like I said not worth the money and effort any more. The car is looking a bit tired now anyhow so Ide welcome a change.
I believe the 320d is either 174 or 187 bhp approx and the 318d will be around 143. I have the F30 320d efficient dynamic and I believe they did those on the E92's as well and they are 163 bhp
To stop the clutch judder when pulling away Bmw introduced where the car revs to a 1000rpm when releasing the clutch. My E90 320d gear stick used to judder, it's a diesel ! However if it hasn't had a clutch change 135,000 miles is pretty good and I would imagine it would be close to changing but depends on previous owner/s

I ve had mine done, complete change £460 including the dual mass fly wheel & labour which I think was brilliant price and 2 yes warranty. It usually last up to 120K on bmw's
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions