Help With A New Phone Please

Posted 21st Dec 2019Edited by:"Zeekster"
Hi friends. Looking for some advice. My Nokia 7.1 just crashed (for the 2nd time) when trying to install the latest official Andoid update. I am now on the hunt for something relatively cheap and simple. I take occassional pictures (I don't need a whizz bang camera), I use Maps, GMail, Whatsapp and YouTube and that's about it really.

I liked the Noka as it was Android One compliant. So ideally, if the phone could have the following, it would be good:

Android One compliant
3 or 4GB RAM
A lot of storage (or an SD slot and the phone is capable of Adaptable Storage)
OLED based screen (would be nice but not necessary)
4G (although 5G would be a bonus)
Unlocked (or easy to unlock)

Any and all suggestions would be really appreciated... links to actual deals would be even better if you have them. Thanks in advance.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

11 Comments
Do a factory reset, then do the update before looking to buy another phone.
I'm happy with my Xaomi note 7, excellent phone for £140 I think the model with only 32gb of storage is cheaper.
RiverDragon821/12/2019 14:03

Do a factory reset, then do the update before looking to buy another phone.

Thanks... just tried that and it went back to the previous version and all worked fine. It then detected the system update again, so I installed it again, but then it downloaded it, then crashed the phone when rebooting (finalising the installation). As this is the 2nd time it's done this (did it about 4 months ago when Nokia sent out a system update back then), I have lost faith in this phone.
Is there way to put it on safe mode then apply the update?
Best budget phone to get on the market is the Xiaomi Redmi Note 8T.
rimalpatel00721/12/2019 16:18

Is there way to put it on safe mode then apply the update?

Ooh I don't know, never tried that on a phone. I think there is more going on anyway... when I watch YouTube, sometimes it's fine and sometimes it just freezes then reboots... I put up with it as it was minor, but now coupled with this update issue, I really think the phone has something wrong with it. I would be happier with a new one to be honest.
RiverDragon821/12/2019 16:36

Best budget phone to get on the market is the Xiaomi Redmi Note 8T.

Thanks for the advice. Looks like a decent phone and more than good enough for me, decent price too... but am I being silly if I want to go for an Android One device or is that not as beneficial as I think it is? I do like the idea of the stock Android and system updates for 2 years and security updates for 3 years.
Zeekster21/12/2019 17:31

Thanks for the advice. Looks like a decent phone and more than good …Thanks for the advice. Looks like a decent phone and more than good enough for me, decent price too... but am I being silly if I want to go for an Android One device or is that not as beneficial as I think it is? I do like the idea of the stock Android and system updates for 2 years and security updates for 3 years.

I had a Xiaomi Note Pro 3 for 2.5 years as my main phone and then as a backup. When I sold it in the summer it was still getting updates. You can install a 3rd party launcher (I use nova launcher) to make it feel like stock android.
Where is @MrSwitch when you need him (or her!)
Android one and an OLED screen screams xiaomi mi A3. Good battery and camera, and good processor.

£169.99 on amazon, or cheaper via China sites
hakuna_matata21/12/2019 19:55

Where is @MrSwitch when you need him (or her!)

MrSwitch21/12/2019 20:08

Android one and an OLED screen screams xiaomi mi A3. Good battery and …Android one and an OLED screen screams xiaomi mi A3. Good battery and camera, and good processor.£169.99 on amazon, or cheaper via China sites

@MrSwitch to the resuce! I searched HUKD for your thread and I can see lots of excellent suggestions. I went onto the Xiaomi site and I found the Mi Mix 3 5G (which ticks almost all the boxes, but it's not Android One). Even more confused than ever :-) I think I will wait to see what the new year brings and what lovely goodies @MrSwitch finds.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions