Expired

help with a paypal dispute possible scam? ***finally got my money back today thanks everyone happy happy now***

Found 16th Jun 2012
edited on 26/06/12
it seems that paypal have favoured this case in the buyers way even after i provided the receipt and email he sent me stating the sale
they state they have given him the money and waiting for the credit card company to see if they can shed any more light(my way)..this means he got the ps3 and the money and my £200 + has gone and now i await to see if the credit card company can compensate the money back..this is really disturbing and im not sure what to do ,should i contact the police or something else? any suggestions?really annoyed, would really appreciate some feedback thankyou ...

in february this year i sold a ps3 via Ebay,the buyer paid through Paypal and asked me to send it to him via insured postage.three months later he claimed that his credit card was used without his permission and therefore Paypal are disputing this holding £215 which belongs to me.
luckily i kept the receipt and the buyers Ebay message and sent it to them but am still waiting for a response gone 16 days..can anyone help who may have been in a similar situation or knows a bit more about these kinds of disputes seems very dodgy and UNFAIR on my part...many thanks
Community Updates
MiscGame of Thrones
58 Comments
If you have sent them the receipt showing you have posted the item to the correct address this is all you require. Sit and wait now i'm afraid while they investigate, you should be fine but it takes quite a while.
sharkiest

If you have sent them the receipt showing you have posted the item to … If you have sent them the receipt showing you have posted the item to the correct address this is all you require. Sit and wait now i'm afraid while they investigate, you should be fine but it takes quite a while.

realblender

Was the address you sent it to paypal verified?

yes its a paypal verified address and i have uploaded the reciept thank you guys
If they paid by Paypal originally, 3 months earlier, then surely the money will have long been paid to you, so not entirely sure how Paypal are able to hold £215 at this late stage.

If the credit card was used without his permission then I would still have thought that the address against the credit card would have had to have been the one that you used to send the PS3, so it would have been delivered to them.

I would certainly be asking both the buyer and Paypal what level of Police involvement there has been as this should be insisted upon as part of any reasonable investigation into fraudulent activity.

Also worth looking at Paypal's own terms and conditions regarding their rights to take money from you at any later stage following completion of a transaction.

You only need to provide detail's that it has actually been posted to the address listed, it doesn't have to even show delivered for an unauthorised transaction.
reddit

If they paid by Paypal originally, 3 months earlier, then surely the … If they paid by Paypal originally, 3 months earlier, then surely the money will have long been paid to you, so not entirely sure how Paypal are able to hold £215 at this late stage.If the credit card was used without his permission then I would still have thought that the address against the credit card would have had to have been the one that you used to send the PS3, so it would have been delivered to them.I would certainly be asking both the buyer and Paypal what level of Police involvement there has been as this should be insisted upon as part of any reasonable investigation into fraudulent activity.Also worth looking at Paypal's own terms and conditions regarding their rights to take money from you at any later stage following completion of a transaction.

realblender

Sounds like you will be ok but no doubt paypal will screw you. Scary … Sounds like you will be ok but no doubt paypal will screw you. Scary that they can raise a dispute so long after the event.

i had £220 in my paypal account and they decided they will hold it which is really unfair specially after 3 months
Additionally, if all is found to be OK and the buyer has made a false claim, tell them that you will contact the Police to report an attempted fraud, which is what will have taken place.
reddit

Additionally, if all is found to be OK and the buyer has made a false … Additionally, if all is found to be OK and the buyer has made a false claim, tell them that you will contact the Police to report an attempted fraud, which is what will have taken place.

Paypal will take the hit as usual if "everything is found to be ok" the Police will do nothing.
sharkiest

You only need to provide detail's that it has actually been posted to the … You only need to provide detail's that it has actually been posted to the address listed, it doesn't have to even show delivered for an unauthorised transaction.

yes the reciept clearly shows the paypal registered address

reddit

Additionally, if all is found to be OK and the buyer has made a false … Additionally, if all is found to be OK and the buyer has made a false claim, tell them that you will contact the Police to report an attempted fraud, which is what will have taken place.

yes i will contact the police if i don't hear from them very soon
Tell the guy he should contact his cc company not paypal.
deathtrap3000

Tell the guy he should contact his cc company not paypal.

It's the credit card company that issue the chargeback to Paypal which is why the funds are held while they investigate. I've seen them be refused before after the person has logged in using the same ip address, some thieves really are that stupid.
As long as you have a tracking number and it shows on RM's website with a signature showing it's been delivered you should be OK.

3 months is taking the Mick! I call BS on that. I suspect the buyer's broken it/tried to mod it and bricked it/changed his mind or whatever and is trying his luck with PayPal. Rule #1 when using PayPal: as soon as funds have cleared transfer to your bank account! Do NOT leave any money in there, it's too dangerous.

I despair with PayPal these days which is why I've weened myself off eBay. I don't sell or buy on there anymore. If I sell something I get a PayPal case opened against me which almost always goes the buyers way. If I buy something and I've been screwed by the seller, I almost always loose the case. *Sigh* If I didn't have bad luck I'd have no luck at all.

Anyhoo, good luck with it all, hope they don't shaft you.
sharkiest

Paypal will take the hit as usual if "everything is found to be ok" the … Paypal will take the hit as usual if "everything is found to be ok" the Police will do nothing.

I tend to think that if you quote Laws to the Police then you can edge them to have to investigate.

But even if not, telling the buyer this will at the very least give them a squeaky bum moment or two in anticipation.
Good on you for keeping the receipt.
I hope it all gets sorted in your favour, and in the future never leave cash in your paypal account.
It sounds like the buyer is trying it on, but there is a chance that they aren't as you can change the address to post the item to in the paypal invoice so there is a chance that a scammer changed the posting address.
In all likelihood it's a scamming buyer who used their card but just because you posted to the requested address doesn't mean it's without doubt, but as you posted to the address on the invoice you should be covered by the seller protection.
Just stick with what you're doing, uploading a photo to paypal etc. and keep checking your emails and also contact the buyer through eBay messages (so on record) saying you are worried about it and will report the fraud to the Police and ask if they have also done this and for their crime reference number (if anyone has had their card used fraudulently I'd expect them to have a crime reference number).
Exinferis

As long as you have a tracking number and it shows on RM's website with a … As long as you have a tracking number and it shows on RM's website with a signature showing it's been delivered you should be OK. 3 months is taking the Mick! I call BS on that. I suspect the buyer's broken it/tried to mod it and bricked it/changed his mind or whatever and is trying his luck with PayPal. Rule #1 when using PayPal: as soon as funds have cleared transfer to your bank account! Do NOT leave any money in there, it's too dangerous. I despair with PayPal these days which is why I've weened myself off eBay. I don't sell or buy on there anymore. If I sell something I get a PayPal case opened against me which almost always goes the buyers way. If I buy something and I've been screwed by the seller, I almost always loose the case. *Sigh* If I didn't have bad luck I'd have no luck at all. Anyhoo, good luck with it all, hope they don't shaft you.

In this kind of case you don't require any tracking number, just a receipt showing it's actually been posted
I had a similar problem about 10 years ago with some concert tickets I sold on ebay, it was about 5 months after the date when Ebay said the card used to buy the tickets was not authorised?
Luckily for me I'd already removed the cash but ebay got a credit agency involved to try and recoup the money. I also had kept the receipt and told ebay they would need to take me to court to recover the money. The sage continued for about 6 months during which my wife was frantic that the bailiffs were going to arrive and take the telly. I stood my ground and eventually after lots of phone calls they backed down.
Ebay closed my account but I just opened another one with a different bank account.
sipi69

I had a similar problem... which my wife was frantic that the bailiffs … I had a similar problem... which my wife was frantic that the bailiffs were going to arrive and take the telly.

I was scammed by a buyer on eBay about 5 years ago, can't remember all the details, but it was a chargeback (claimed fraudulent/ unauthorised use) from the credit card company, from what I can remember the CC takes the money back from Paypal regardless (of course Paypal are not going to be out of pocket - they freeze or take the money from your account).

The advise PayPal gave me was 'factor in' the cost of potential chargeback’s in my transactions. Sting in the tail, Paypal charged me £5 for investigating!

Good luck with your issue.
edited on 26/06/12
it seems that paypal have favoured this case in the buyers way even after i provided the receipt and email he sent me stating the sale
they state they have given him the money and waiting for the credit card company to see if they can shed any more light(my way)..this means he got the ps3 and the money and my £200 + has gone and now i await to see if the credit card company can compensate the money back..this is really disturbing and im not sure what to do ,should i contact the police or something else? any suggestions?really annoyed, would really appreciate some feedback thankyou ...
so you follow all their rules and you still lose. Unreal that buyer didnt even have to send the ps3 back!

paypalsucks.com
csiman

so you follow all their rules and you still lose. Unreal that buyer didnt … so you follow all their rules and you still lose. Unreal that buyer didnt even have to send the ps3 back!http://www.paypalsucks.com

i think if the buyer sent it back it would be broke in some form, if the buyer says that his card were used without him knowing then surely he would have returned the ps3, because he hasnt returned it earlier on that tells me it was a scam i certainly would contact the police, good luck mate
Edited by: "mercslkman" 26th Jun 2012
Can you see from the buyers feedback if they have bought any games or accesories such as a case or extra charger for this item?
mercslkman

i think if the buyer sent it back it would be broke in some form, if the … i think if the buyer sent it back it would be broke in some form, if the buyer says that his card were used without him knowing then surely he would have returned the ps3, because he hasnt returned it earlier on that tells me it was a scam i certainly would contact the police, good luck mate

but that is irrelevant to the point that paypal refunded without enforcing any kind of return. The buyer has proof of delivery to the paypal holders address. its certainly a police matter though.

basically, paypal now offers zero protection
Edited by: "csiman" 26th Jun 2012
csiman

but that is irrelevant to the point that paypal refunded without … but that is irrelevant to the point that paypal refunded without enforcing any kind of return. The buyer has proof of delivery to the paypal holders address. its certainly a police matter though.basically, paypal now offers zero protection

PayPal really are joke now when it comes to the chancers, but good for the honest ones

This is my experience with eBay/PayPal/seller

So I bought a front bumper off eBay for my car, seller had two pictures of the item which showed the item had a scratch which was visible no close up shots just of the front and back of bumper

The description for the item:

" In good condition only a scratch on corner not bad "

When bumper arrived it was not as described and pictures were taken at angles to hide the other damage to it,

The bumper had scratches all over the bottom and sides, bumper had been resprayed on one side badly 35% of bumper
There was a patch on inside which is filler so it had been repaired badly at some point, seller failed to mention these things,

Actually I made a thread about this for advice but I never revealed what the item was.

I messages the seller saying they were dishonest etc ..... I asked for full refund and I would post item back to them same method they used,

No they wanted the item sent back before giving a refund, that wasn't happening so I opened a case with PayPal

And they favoured with me not only that I got to keep the damaged bumper as well, I have not heard from the seller since march about sending the bumper back.
Its a scam, My brother has the same thing happen to him whom the buyer paid Via Paypal for a Mac Book air ( over 1000 pound) and the buyer came to pick the item up, the seller then claimed his paypal account was hacked and did not make the purchase. Al lof the money was then lost ( + the laptop) it seems to me like quite a regular used scam or wether or not if it was actually genuine.....

hope that helps bro
I don't get it OP. If you have proof of delivery to his address, why are paypal saying they refunded him without him having to return it?
If you did everything by the book, don't really see the need to fret. Paypal will refund the buyer out of their own pocket without taking any money away from you. At least, that's what they did in my situation...

Paypal does not suck, it only sucks for those who fail to abide by their policies.;)
Ring paypal and ask why seller protection didn't kick in.
SkullKing1300

If you did everything by the book, don't really see the need to fret. … If you did everything by the book, don't really see the need to fret. Paypal will refund the buyer out of their own pocket without taking any money away from you. At least, that's what they did in my situation...Paypal does not suck, it only sucks for those who fail to abide by their policies.;)

try actually reading the thread! Seller stuck to the rules yet is out of pocket and no ps3!
ben240894

Its a scam, My brother has the same thing happen to him whom the buyer … Its a scam, My brother has the same thing happen to him whom the buyer paid Via Paypal for a Mac Book air ( over 1000 pound) and the buyer came to pick the item up, the seller then claimed his paypal account was hacked and did not make the purchase. Al lof the money was then lost ( + the laptop) it seems to me like quite a regular used scam or wether or not if it was actually genuine.....hope that helps bro

Why the hell did your bro accept Paypal for a collection?
ben240894

Its a scam, My brother has the same thing happen to him whom the buyer … Its a scam, My brother has the same thing happen to him whom the buyer paid Via Paypal for a Mac Book air ( over 1000 pound) and the buyer came to pick the item up, the seller then claimed his paypal account was hacked and did not make the purchase. Al lof the money was then lost ( + the laptop) it seems to me like quite a regular used scam or wether or not if it was actually genuine.....hope that helps bro

different case all together, never, ever accept paypal payment for a pick up only cash on collection
sassie

different case all together, never, ever accept paypal payment for a pick … different case all together, never, ever accept paypal payment for a pick up only cash on collection

thought everyone knew that by now

although I do feel paypal should highlight this clearly on their site's main page
Hi Ben, your brother should have been aware that if he accepts paypal he has to have proof of delivery in the event of a dispute or claim. By allowing the buyer to pay by paypal and then collect he had no tracking info to prove the buyer had the item.

Sadly, many have been conned this way, all through signing up for a paypal account but not reading the terms and conditions of being protected.

Horrible thing to be taken advantage of though. x

If your buyer collects it must be cash on collection only.
Edited by: "Remington" 26th Jun 2012
csiman

try actually reading the thread! Seller stuck to the rules yet is out of … try actually reading the thread! Seller stuck to the rules yet is out of pocket and no ps3!

If he stuck to the rules, then he should be protected, it's that simple.

Unless, of course, the OP is not telling us everything.
sedd33

lol, chargebacks. that old trick. op you will be shafted by paypal. you, … lol, chargebacks. that old trick. op you will be shafted by paypal. you, the seller are in a much weaker position. paypal will feed you with some rubbish about "we are waiting for the credit card co to respond" edit: ooops i see you have found this out for yourself, lol. gootta love paypal.now watch the threats of collections/bailiffs. they will be chasing you, they wont chase the buyer.i could help you get this resolved but will need the crucial details from you. sending emails back n fro will do nothing- computer says no.

Why would they do that when they already have the money?
Why do you keep deleting your posts from paypal/ebay threads?
Exinferis

*Sigh* If I didn't have bad luck I'd have no luck at all.

Well reminded me of krillen then.
colinsunderland

Why would they do that when they already have the money?Why do you keep … Why would they do that when they already have the money?Why do you keep deleting your posts from paypal/ebay threads?

..and why would they want help from one of the most obnoxious oiks on HUKD?
sedd33

lol, chargebacks. that old trick. op you will be shafted by paypal. you, … lol, chargebacks. that old trick. op you will be shafted by paypal. you, the seller are in a much weaker position. paypal will feed you with some rubbish about "we are waiting for the credit card co to respond" edit: ooops i see you have found this out for yourself, lol. gootta love paypal.now watch the threats of collections/bailiffs. they will be chasing you, they wont chase the buyer.i could help you get this resolved but will need the crucial details from you. sending emails back n fro will do nothing- computer says no.

dont waste your time OP unless you want to be led down one of these

http://www.herbgardendesign.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Garden-Paths.jpg
SkullKing1300

If he stuck to the rules, then he should be protected, it's that … If he stuck to the rules, then he should be protected, it's that simple.Unless, of course, the OP is not telling us everything.

Whoosh! Whole point of thread entirely missed........ oO
sedd33

did your mum drop you on the head at birth? geez tryin to help and get … did your mum drop you on the head at birth? geez tryin to help and get comments like these from tools. tut tut

hardly surprising really when you come out with total crap in nearly all ebay / paypal related threads
happened to me in past, sold a £250 phone. got paid, sent it.

few days later dude opened dispute that his account was used without permission and started paypal claim.

paypal blocked the money, I sent in scanned Royal Mail Special delivery receipt with tracking number that I sent it to correct address, according to tracking it was delivered and signed for.

Few days later paypal released the hold. Case closed.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions