Help with a present for a 74 year old man

Posted 3rd NovEdited by:"Mallow2"
Hi
We have no idea what to get my partners dad.
Partners mom died earlier this year so will just be the three of us at Christmas and want to buy him something special.

We were getting him a watch but that can't happen now, as he is getting watches for a couple who have helped him when we couldn't.

He is useless with technology

And we are struggling to think of anything.

EDIT he has a weak heart, not very mobile, currently in hospital due to infections and we may have to sort a carer out for him
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
joyf453603/11/2019 20:31

a 35 year old Girl

Sometimes, humour works.
Other times, it doesn't.

This is the latter
Get him a dog. They will bond and become inseparable.
This is a age when loneliness strikes harder and harder. While you can get an experience day now, spending time with him on a regular basis would probably be more appreciated. Unless he doesn't want it.
As a 70 year may I suggest a dab radio ,got one as present last xmas and love it
32 Comments
A decent whiskey/whisky?
Helicopter ride
A nice canvas with a nice family picture with his sadly departed wife featuring
Why don't you treat him to one of those nice experience days such as a couple of laps in a race car, a behind-the-scenes tour of a special venue, or a hot air balloon ride together, etc? I could be wrong but I'm guessing that maybe at 74 years of age the average person would probably have most of the things that they'd want that someone might get them as a gift.
a 35 year old Girl
joyf453603/11/2019 20:31

a 35 year old Girl

Sometimes, humour works.
Other times, it doesn't.

This is the latter
Haircut_10003/11/2019 20:25

Why don't you treat him to one of those nice experience days such as a …Why don't you treat him to one of those nice experience days such as a couple of laps in a race car, a behind-the-scenes tour of a special venue, or a hot air balloon ride together, etc? I could be wrong but I'm guessing that maybe at 74 years of age the average person would probably have most of the things that they'd want that someone might get them as a gift.

I agree on that, I’m only 29 but i definitely want one of those experience days where you can drive a sports car/go on a race course! Plus it’ll give him something to look forward to and a day out just for him as the focus
greenyblades03/11/2019 20:09

He has a dog that we are looking after while he was in hospital, but nice thought
Haircut_10003/11/2019 20:25

Why don't you treat him to one of those nice experience days such as a …Why don't you treat him to one of those nice experience days such as a couple of laps in a race car, a behind-the-scenes tour of a special venue, or a hot air balloon ride together, etc? I could be wrong but I'm guessing that maybe at 74 years of age the average person would probably have most of the things that they'd want that someone might get them as a gift.

Lovely ideas, I've just updated the post, I don't think his heart would hold up though
SaltyExpert03/11/2019 20:37

Sometimes, humour works.Other times, it doesn't.This is the latter

I'm not sure what thoughts are going through your mind !

I was thinking of an introduction not a purchase.
Time away with friends and/or family. Experience days sounds good just not the balloon ride. Took almost three years before my mum could take hers. Wasted days off getting there, really weather reliant
Maybe ask him is there anything in all his 74 years he's always fancied eating but never got round to it. That coupled with Christmas dinner with you two could be rather special, unless you're all traditionalists.

Or, kind of expanding on that, somewhere he has always wanted to go to eat but never had the oppurtunity.
Edited by: "SaltyExpert" 3rd Nov
A good quality Radio, something like a Roberts ?
Flashlight or a Fleshlight
How about a trip away to a special place him and his wife used to visit ?
Throw him like a surprise party or day out with the family/friends/grandkids everyone that's special to him and make some happy memories.
Amazon fire stick + Netflix subscription.

Tablet + some headphones.

My old man is 82 awful with technology but he loves having prime & Netflix now. He's even cancelled sky.

As for the tablet he's just got a few games, Skype, YouTube & Google Chrome. Keeping things simple has worked very well. Saying that I did have to apply a child lock on amazon prime as he kept on buying films, thinking he could watch them for free.
a tv licence?
As a 70 year may I suggest a dab radio ,got one as present last xmas and love it
How about knitting a woolly jumper.
Just give him a great Christmas and fuss over him like you've never fussed before.
Have a few drinks and enjoy yourselves talking about his partner and reminisce. It'll be sweet and sour but he'll enjoy it.
When you're 74 gifts aren't important.
He probably doesn’t need anything or want anything, blokes don’t want fuss, this present is more for yourselves to feel good, if you put yourself in his shoes he’s not going to care about some random gift..

what did you get him for the last 4 years? I assume you got him a present....
This is a age when loneliness strikes harder and harder. While you can get an experience day now, spending time with him on a regular basis would probably be more appreciated. Unless he doesn't want it.
Make up a hamper with some nice biscuits, cakes, jams, wine or beers if he drinks etc. Just being with him, letting him talk and you listening will be what he really wants.
Thanks everyone, you're right he will just appreciate the time spent together
MirandaMisery04/11/2019 10:45

Comment deleted

The part about the weak heart was added in later by the OP, it wasn't in the original post, that's why they've put the words "Edit" next to it and mentioned above about how they added it in after reading the initial suggestions.
Nana1403/11/2019 22:26

As a 70 year may I suggest a dab radio ,got one as present last xmas and …As a 70 year may I suggest a dab radio ,got one as present last xmas and love it

One of the old fashioned looking ones, my dad loved his
First Christmas after a loss is always a tough one, I'm sure he will be happy with anything you get him, just spending Christmas with you will probably be enough.
Without question an Alexa dot - I can't overstate how much this has transformed her quiet life. She is virtually blind and can now make calls to all of her family and have all if her favourite books read to her on audible - it has made her very happy.
bd1981bd06/11/2019 01:06

Without question an Alexa dot - I can't overstate how much this has …Without question an Alexa dot - I can't overstate how much this has transformed her quiet life. She is virtually blind and can now make calls to all of her family and have all if her favourite books read to her on audible - it has made her very happy.

This is my 90 year old gran by the way...
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants