Help with a tv sound issue.

Posted 19th May
I recently purchased a new TV the Philips 50PUS8204/12

first of all great picture and colours. It is outstanding.

but I am having an odd issue with it. whenever I have the console on and have played I'd go to Netflix via the TV app and anything with Dolby Atmos plays with the sound only emitting loud hissing.

this does not occur with any ultra HD or hd content and the only fix I have found is unplugging the TV so it does a proper reboot.

The TV is connected with some speakers connected through a headphone to phone converter (a converter the TV provides) but this hissing noise occurs through both the speakers and the TV speakers.

the noise is fairly similar to white noise.

TV is updated to the latest firmware.

thank you in advance!
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

7 Comments
I got offered one of these for £50, apparently the volume was stuck on max.

For that price, I couldn't turn it down
I don't have this TV but wonder if turning ATMOS off and then back on would resolve it although it really shouldn't be doing that.
I wonder if it doesn't recognise that the connection has changed.

p.s. I did look up the manual to check that there is a setting to switch ATMOS on and off it's here on page 48 download.p4c.philips.com/fil…pdf
rejcomp19/05/2020 12:25

I don't have this TV but wonder if turning ATMOS off and then back on …I don't have this TV but wonder if turning ATMOS off and then back on would resolve it although it really shouldn't be doing that.I wonder if it doesn't recognise that the connection has changed.p.s. I did look up the manual to check that there is a setting to switch ATMOS on and off it's here on page 48 https://www.download.p4c.philips.com/files/5/50pus8204_12/50pus8204_12_dfu_eng.pdf

Thanks for the extra information, unfortunately that setting is just to disable the notification of Dolby Atmos rather than disabling it itself.

It is bizzare, even disconnecting the speakers and using just the TV speakers doesn't fix the issue.

I am hoping it's just the phono adapter and now switched to an aux adapter instead.
Just another thought have you tried the console in a different HDMI port?
rejcomp19/05/2020 12:59

Just another thought have you tried the console in a different HDMI port?

I will try that, what's your thinking behind that? Because I was considering it but have no basis on why that would affect it other than the hdmi port is the closest to the headphone jack.

Thank you
Well my original thinking was that ARC may be interfering but it looks like all the HDMI ports have ARC.

Troubleshooting with things like this usually start with trying another port because you never know there might be a slightly dodgy connection after that and assuming you have one you could try a different cable to see if that makes a difference.
All hopefully simple stuff that you might already have the kit to perform and costs little.
Disclaimer: I'm no TV expert but these are just the things I'd try first.
rejcomp19/05/2020 13:33

Well my original thinking was that ARC may be interfering but it looks …Well my original thinking was that ARC may be interfering but it looks like all the HDMI ports have ARC.Troubleshooting with things like this usually start with trying another port because you never know there might be a slightly dodgy connection after that and assuming you have one you could try a different cable to see if that makes a difference.All hopefully simple stuff that you might already have the kit to perform and costs little.Disclaimer: I'm no TV expert but these are just the things I'd try first.

Okey dokes. Thank you for the help and will report back if any of these appear to have fixed it

I appreciate you time to help out
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions