Help with advertising a car on eBay/Gumtree/Autotrader or other means of selling

Posted 30th Oct
Unthinkable but eBay has worked for me a few years ago. It will go on Gumtree as well. Maybe Autotrader. I already have a trade in deal and can wait and want top dollar for it

Any hints and tips? I am wondering if I should hide the reg number in some pics. I don't have a problem with posting them so people can do checks but I know there are dodgy people out there.

Thanks in advance for any help
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

18 Comments
whats the car and value?
Try shpock
Facebook market place or Facebook selling pages
Dont show any of the car ID it will be stolen and used elsewhere or a car cloned with it.
Autotrader and Ebay are probably best for the price.
My car value was £4000, autotrader charged me £37 for 2 weeks... but I sold actually via gumtree free of cost ...
ccnp30/10/2019 19:19

Mazda cx5 £12k

thats tricky - most buyers will want finance/warranty/dealer reasurance at that level
googley230/10/2019 19:49

Dont show any of the car ID it will be stolen and used elsewhere or a car …Dont show any of the car ID it will be stolen and used elsewhere or a car cloned with it.Autotrader and Ebay are probably best for the price.

Not being able to see the reg on car or bike ads puts me off as I always look at MOT history before anything else, ie history on fails on what are service parts such as brakes/tyres/exhausts etc means there is likely to be a lack of general care such as oil changes, plug changes, filter changes and valve adjustments etc Seriously when you see a fail such as none of rear lights functioning and all four tyres bald it makes you wonder what the hell if anything they did do for the car.
Gumtree for first two weeks
If no response, put in ebay for a week
If no response autotrader
If nothing else webuyanycar kinda
Make a video, my YouTube channel has sold nearly all my cars pretty much straight away. I was on the ball before most people doing videos of my cars to add to an advert, people still use photos but they hide so much.
Make sure your advert is very detailed, you're not selling a banger 12k is a good chunk of money... make sure you've got all the spec, service history mileage and dates, any work been done, be as honest as possible.
And don't hide your reg as that person above said, it really annoys me when people do that as you can't do a simple Vehicle Smart check, if somebodys going to clone your car they could drive up and down your street.
Make sure you aren't asking to much for the car as being a bit greedy can lose you a sale, obviously always add a bit extra for wiggle but don't be to nuts asking an extra grand or two.
If you get stuck with out I'm always happy to help, like I say hold about 50 cars... only one I didn't sell private was my Focus RS as nobody had £32k cash to pull out so a garage bought it
mas9930/10/2019 20:06

thats tricky - most buyers will want finance/warranty/dealer reasurance at …thats tricky - most buyers will want finance/warranty/dealer reasurance at that level

Thanks for that
mas9930/10/2019 20:06

thats tricky - most buyers will want finance/warranty/dealer reasurance at …thats tricky - most buyers will want finance/warranty/dealer reasurance at that level

Exactly when I tried to sell a car recently. Easier to get finance deal car.
I helped my father out listing his last car on ebay a few years ago (advert not auction), as he's not great with computers, after he got a lousy trade in offer.

Don't know if it helped selling it, but I provided a link on the ebay listing to a large album of higher res photos than ebay will host, showing it inside and out, that I'd uploaded on google so they could be viewed full screen, and much to his annoyance, got him to re-position and turn the car as needed so they were all well lit and with a good background. And I wrote a very detailed and honest description.

First thing I did though, was to get him to give his car a proper clean and polish, and I used his carpet washer to smarten up the interior, something he should have done before trying to trade it in.
Edited by: "melted" 31st Oct

Dont show any of the car ID it will be stolen and used elsewhere or a car …Dont show any of the car ID it will be stolen and used elsewhere or a car cloned with it.Autotrader and Ebay are probably best for the price.

I don't get this. If you wanted to see a number plate for nefarious purposes there are millions outside to clearly see, why bother trawling ebay for cars for sale?

Although that happens, It could happen anyway. Your car is most probably sat outside with a number plate on it anyway. Just no real logical reason unless you're trying to hide something. Having the license details can help check insurance and MOT history etc..
sold a car recently, added it on eBay,auto-trader,Facebook marketplace and gumtree... few days later it sold from a guy who saw it on gum-tree. I would personally just advertise it everywhere as most people would probably only use 1-2 of the sites mentioned.

Wider audience is key, just note on that it was listed else where and if advert is up it means it's still available

I would personally show number plates just to avoid stupid questions like 'whats your reg', 'i want to check mot history', 'is it taxed'.

My only advice is to not give your VIN(Vehicle identification number) which would be on the car somewhere or on the paperwork... Also be-careful if someone comes to view and you notice them taking a picture of the VIN or asking for it. This is how the car can be 'cloned'.

VIN cloning or car cloning, is a practice of using a vehicle identification number (VIN) from a legally registered car to hide the identity of a stolen or salvaged vehicle. The procedure involves replacing the serial plate of a stolen or salvage repaired vehicle with a plate containing the number of a validly registered vehicle of similar make, model and year from another state, province or country.
Not many people have 12k sat around to buy a used car, if they do - I'd expect they have enough to buy New, it's a tough figure for selling a used car without the offer of finance etc.

Also - it may annoy people as above about hiding your number plate - however it is your right to do so and criminals do trawl eBay and the likes to find number plates to clone - as the clever ones find one the same colour/model etc as the dodgy motor.

A way around this that I do - is put in the ad to ask you for the vehicle registration and you'd be happy to provide it.

This is likely to put off any proverbial tyre kickers/crims etc.

AutoTrader is well worth it - especially for a 12k car. It has a better reputation than eBay and gumtree for cars being as described and worth their money. At least in my circle

Good luck
Many thanks to all for your helpful comments
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants