Help with alienware upgrade

Found 14th Nov 2017
Hi everyone. I am looking to buy a alienware laptop this black Friday.
Just wanted to ask how easy it is to upgrade yourself.
The 8 to 16gb ram upgrade seems expensive (£120)
It also seems quite expensive to add a ssd.. Can I just put one in myself.
I read that I should just clone the hard drive when I get it onto a ssd and stick that in and use the 1tb 7200rpm hdd as storage?
I also read that dell use their own specific parts / ram so you can't use another brand or be able compatible. I'm a bit noob at this.
Community Updates
Ask
7 Comments
when you upgrade to 16GB they don't stick another 8GB in, they put a single 16GB in so the £120 is likely the full cost of the new part

yeah you can put one yourself

and it's true with all computers that you shouldn't really mix ram - diff speeds is a 100% no, but even same speed mixed pairs is discouraged - so you can't just stick another 8GB in, you'd have to match the current 8GB or buy new 16 or a pair or 2 8's
murtgurge17 m ago

when you upgrade to 16GB they don't stick another 8GB in, they put a …when you upgrade to 16GB they don't stick another 8GB in, they put a single 16GB in so the £120 is likely the full cost of the new partyeah you can put one yourselfand it's true with all computers that you shouldn't really mix ram - diff speeds is a 100% no, but even same speed mixed pairs is discouraged - so you can't just stick another 8GB in, you'd have to match the current 8GB or buy new 16 or a pair or 2 8's

That 120 price is for 2 X 8gb (that's what it says on the upgrade menu) .
I guess I could survive without the extra 8
I'm only really going to play games but want to make it as future proof as possible.
There should be a slot for a m.2 right?
dasachmo6 m ago

That 120 price is for 2 X 8gb (that's what it says on the upgrade menu) . …That 120 price is for 2 X 8gb (that's what it says on the upgrade menu) . I guess I could survive without the extra 8I'm only really going to play games but want to make it as future proof as possible. There should be a slot for a m.2 right?

weird I'd have thought they would do 16 cause it is capable of 32gb right (2x16)

I'd assume it has 2 or more m.2

have you physically held the laptop you're looking at though? I'm not going to hassle you about the price because I own a mbp - if you like it then you like it, price isn't always a concern, but alienware laptops are pretty bulky and I wouldn't personally call them portable so if you haven't held or seen one I would advise you do so before purchasing just so you know if it's definitely what you want
deleted1597344
Very easy to upgrade these laptops I have the 17 R3 with 32GB RAM and 2x SSD.
Ah okay.
I actually haven't held one!
I've been looking to upgrade my xps 15 which is much more sleek, light and portable but the new equivalents have good specs but limited on graphics card. Their thermals aren't so great on either.
From what I've seen the alienware has the best build and thermals. When I saw the other ones Asus and hp, they just seemed plasticy so rather stick with Dell.
Edited by: "dasachmo" 15th Nov 2017
murtgurge12 h, 1 m ago

weird I'd have thought they would do 16 cause it is capable of 32gb right …weird I'd have thought they would do 16 cause it is capable of 32gb right (2x16)

This is an expensive high performance laptop, they're not going to half it's memory bandwidth just for the sake of slightly cheaper upgrades.

You don't say which model it is and obviously upgrade options aren't the same across the entire brand, but going by notebookcheck's reviews of the three most recent (15 R3, 17 R4, 13 R3) it looks like SODIMM memory sticks and M.2 SSDs are generally used, which are both standard replaceable parts.

Although £120 for 16GB DDR4 sounds pretty reasonable to me.
EndlessWaves3 h, 19 m ago

This is an expensive high performance laptop, they're not going to half …This is an expensive high performance laptop, they're not going to half it's memory bandwidth just for the sake of slightly cheaper upgrades. You don't say which model it is and obviously upgrade options aren't the same across the entire brand, but going by notebookcheck's reviews of the three most recent (15 R3, 17 R4, 13 R3) it looks like SODIMM memory sticks and M.2 SSDs are generally used, which are both standard replaceable parts. Although £120 for 16GB DDR4 sounds pretty reasonable to me.

Ahh its the alienware 15 with the specs as below
BaseCassini 15,
CardNVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1070 with 8GB GDDR5Processor
Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ Processor (Quad-Core, 6MB Cache, up to 3.8GHz w/ Intel® Turbo Boost)
LCD15.6 inch FHD (1920 x 1080) IPS Anti-Glare 300-nits Display
Memory8GB DDR4 at 2400MHz (1x8GB)Hard Drive
1TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s
WirelessKiller 1435 802.11ac 2x2 WiFi and Bluetooth 4.1
Model : n00aw15r320

The 120 is just to add another 8gb in but if thats reasonable I guess I could get it, its just ive seen cheaper deals to buy a whole 16gb on HUKD. The only concern i have from reading other forums is the BIOS was messed up by it.

I read that the i7-7820 is overkill for the laptop but I think the 1070 card is a good comprimise for gaming.

I think i may order a m.2 drive - im assuming it has to be SATA and not NVMe as their upgrades all show SATA ssd's.
Can I just ask - does anyone know if dell changes the motherboard if you get different upgrades (so would it just be fine for me to do it myself at home i.e im not getting a different motherboard if I order upgrades) .

Also do they do a decent deal on black friday . Currently they have 12% off and cashback of 100 pounds extra! which seems reasonable and it doesnt seem the prices have dropped with the new 1070ti
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants